Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline RPG Codex's Best RPGs - 2024 - VOTE ONLY THREAD

behold_a_man

Educated
==========
Top:
Underrail
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Dragon Age: Origins
Gothic
The Witcher
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Fallout
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Divinity: Original Sin [speedhack included]
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Hidden Gems:
Might & Magic Book One: Secrets of the Inner Sanctum
Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra
Blackguards
Risen 2: Dark Waters
*FTL: Faster than Light
*King's Bounty: Armored Princess
*Heroes of Might & Magic IV
==========

On the 'hidden gems' list, I only included games from outside of the last top 101.
I don't know if the last three games on the 'hidden gems' list should count as RPGs (they all feel like RPG/strategy hybrids), but if I had to develop an RPG, I'd probably rip off a lot of their ideas.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Top RPGs:
* Fallout
* Wizardry 8
* KotC
* KotC 2
* ToEE
* Fallout 2
* Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
* M&M III: Isles of Terra
* Colony Ship
* Prelude to Darkness

Only 9 because there's too much competition for the 10th spot. Fuck it! I'm adding Prelude to Darkness in both categories :P

Hidden Gems:
* Prelude to Darkness (due to the engine, the game Top 3 material otherwise)
* PST (terrible combat, poor class-system but everything else is top notch)
* Arcanum (combat and the class-less system are a letdown, dungeons are poorly designed, pretty good otherwise)
* Arx Fatalis (it's real-time, except for this, way ahead of its time)
* Grimoire
* Underrail (would be Top 20 material if party-based)
* Fallout Resurrection
* KotC 2: Hearkenwold
* Dragon Wars
* Superhero League of Hoboken

Last edited:

Eisen

Learned
"Planescape: Torment" "hidden gem"

:hmmm:

Unless i'm mistaking for something else

Harthwain

Magister
Not exactly sure what "Hidden Gems" category means exactly, so I just put there RPGs I think are notable but less popular/likely to end up on the list and some very fringe cases for RPGs as well.

Top RPGs:

1) Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura.
2) Disco Elysium.
3) Gothic 1.
4) Planescape: Torment.
5) Morrowind.
6) Deus Ex (2000)
7) Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
8) Fallout 2.
9) Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.
10) Crusader Kings 2.

Hidden Gems:

1) Space Rangers 2: Dominators (or just Space Rangers 2).
2) NEO Scavenger.
3) Battle Brothers.
4) Alpha Protocol.
5) King Arthur: Knight's Tale.
6) Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
7) E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy.
8) Tales of Maj'Eyal.
9) Streets of Rogue.
10) Barotrauma.

Edit: Added Crusader Kings 2 to the list. I think it deserves the spot.

Last edited:

Geckabor

Savant
Top RPGs:

Gothic
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Fallout: New Vegas
Knights of the Chalice
Battle Brothers
Enderal
ELEX
Gothic 2

I'll add some comments for the hidden gems, for more context.
Hidden Gems:

Thea: The Awakening - IMO more of an RPG than strategy game; it innovates the genre by giving non-combat skills/tasks the same systems/gameplay as combat
Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos - Adds a lot of positive changes to the Gothic formula and overall excellent game (although too long); might go into top RPGs (replacing Gothic 2) after I replay it when hardcore mode comes out, we'll see
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Didn't know I was a big fan of metroidvanias until I played this game; excellent RPG elements making your playstyle fairly unique; can become too easy
Erranorth Chronicles - Deckbuilder with RPG elements stacked upon RPG elements; Slay the Spire but kind of open world and made for RPG enthusiasts and/or autists (if they're not the same)
Knights of The Chalice 2 - Well known here but still a hidden gem; Try it at least for Dorateen's Hearkenwold + other modding potential
Chained Echoes - Dunno what the Codex thinks about this one but for me it addresses almost every issue I normally have with JRPGs; really enjoyable experience

Haven't played enough of these yet to have a full opinion on them but you can count them too, if you want:
Hero's Adventure - Road to Passion
Crystal Project

v1c70r14

Educated
Top RPGs:
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
  • Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
  • Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
  • Wizards & Warriors
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen
  • Planescape: Torment
  • Darklands
  • Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
  • Icewind Dale
Hidden Gems:
  • Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
  • Wizards & Warriors
  • Dragon Wars
  • The Dark Heart of Uukrul
  • The Elder Scrolls: Arena
  • An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire
  • Pyrrhic Tales: Prelude to Darkness
  • Albion
  • Blackguards
  • Exile: Escape from the Pit

Ryzer

Arcane
Top RPGs:
Witcher 1
Arcanum
Fallout 1
Knight of the Chalice 1
Pathfinder Kingmaker
Icewind Dale 1
Baldur's Gate 1
Jagged Alliance 1
Wizardry 7(insane game upon reconsideration)

Hidden Gems:
Risen 1
Warhammer 40k rogue trader (with all the patches)
Evil Islands
Rage of mages
Master of Magic
Silent Storm

Edit: Will probably update in the future.

Last edited:

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Top RPGs:

1) Age of Decadence
2) Arcanum
3) Betrayal at Krondor
4) Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
5) Fallout
6) Fallout 2
7) Geneforge
8) Planescape: Torment
9) Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
10) Wasteland

Hidden gems:

Operencia: The Stolen Sun
Dungeon Rats

Darth Canoli

Arcane
"Planescape: Torment" "hidden gem"

:hmmm:

Unless i'm mistaking for something else
So?
If it's not forbidden, i'm doing it.
And I know it's not because one of us have read the rules...

Besides, even if PST was once in my top 10, not having decent combat clearly puts if off the gown ups RPG list.
Hidden Gem it is.

Ryzer

Arcane
I realized that Wizardry 7 is a completely insane game, you are dropped into an area with vastly over-leveled enemies, with 0 indication on the map on where to go, with 0 tooltip, with 0 lore introduction,with enemies that can inflict bane on you PERMANENTLY and with no map. The first dungeon is a maze where you are stuck indefinitely if you don't search for hidden doors but the game doesn't tell you that of course, and with traps that can instakill your whole party, that you CANT resurrect yet.

Ooooof, it's like the dev made it in such a way that you need to merit it in order to beat the game.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Top:
Wizardry 8
Wizards & Warriors
Deus Ex
System Shock 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Fallout 1
Morrowind
Ultima V
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl

Hidden Gems:
Cue lots of games from people that aren't exactly "hidden"...
The Surge (I'd play this over Dark Souls any day)
Legend AKA The Four Crystals of Trazere

I've missed some because my brain isn't working like it used to.

gruntar

Augur
Top RPGs:

Planescape: Torment
Fallout 2
Arcanum
Morrowind
Gothic 1
Wizardry 8
Deus Ex
VtM: Bloodlines
Might and Magic 6
Diablo 1

Hidden gems:

Mass Effect: Andromeda

SkyFlyer97

Literate
Top RPGs:
Planescape: Torment
Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
Divinity Original Sin 2
Baldur's Gate 3
Deus Ex
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Prey (2017)

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Butter boy isn't adding nominated games to the OP. What's the point of this circle jerk? We scared off all the trannys, now instead of it being half-ass gay it's super gay. Get your priorities straight.

Buster

Novice
Top RPGS

1. Betrayal at Krondor
2. Deus Ex
4. Ultima Underworld
3. X-Com (old one)
5. Fallout: New Vegas
6. Fallout
7. Morrowind
8. Planescape: Torment
9. Deus Ex
10. Quest for Glory

Hidden Gems

1. Titan Outpost
2. Dungeon Rats
3. X-Com: Apocalypse
4. Soulbringer
5. Nox
6. Escape Velocity

I don't know a lot of hidden gems, just old stuff because I'm old.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
Voting and democracy is inherently homosexual, only the select few of the aristocracy ever has any taste in any society. Just take a look at any best selling list from any time period, and in any medium, and my point is made for me. If I'm going to vote I'm going to make it a statement and an exercise in education of plebs. The entirety of the CRPG genre has been single-handedly carried by three great men since computer RPGs overtook tabletop as the optimal entertainment format in the 80's. This treefold Atlas consists of Robert J. Woodhead, who caved out the genre itself, David W. Bradley that forged a future for a genre that might otherwise have become stale and died, and finally perfected by Cleveland M. Blakemore. What I present you with here is not just my favorite RPGs, or games, this is the CRPG canon whittled down to just ten games.

Top RPGS:
*Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
*Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds
*Wizardry: Legacy of Llylgamyn
*Wizardry: The Return of Werdna
*Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom
*Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
*Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
*Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar
*Wizards & Warriors
*Dungeon Lords

Honorable mention goes to Jon Van Caneghem, who was destined to always play second fiddle to Sir-tech, and I would have put his magnum opus in the spot of Dungeon Lords, if it wasn't for the simple fact that Dungeon Lords is one of the most important games ever made and it is only thanks to the forbidden fusion of old school CRPG and action game that we have companies like FromSoft now dominating the gaming landscape after the Japanese started copying the Bradley design innovation for consoles. Without Dungeon Lords there would be no Dragon's Dogma, no Dark Souls, and no Nioh. Even the Chinese have started to copy the formula.

Dishonorable mentions go to Richard Garriott, Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, as well as Todd Howard, the four horsemen of RPG decline. Swen Vincke is seemingly aspiring to become a fifth with his degenerate horseshit topping the charts of late.

Hidden Gems:
*Wizards & Warriors
*Dungeon Lords
*Two Worlds
*Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry
*Mistmare
*Summoner
*Devil Whiskey
*Jettatura
*Evil Islands

The three first are a given, despite being as important as the Wizardry games they never get the same recognition of historical importance or how great they were within the genre. Two Worlds is like Oblivion or Gothic 3, except good. Vendetta is one of the exceedingly rare historical RPGs about pirates. Mistmare has the same atmosphere as Gothic or the first Witcher but it's almost entirely forgotten and a bitch to get running properly on modern systems. Summoner I make no excuses for, I'm only including it due to nostalgia, and more people should play it. Devil Whiskey was a failed indie attempt at taking the blobber crown, something only a Neanderthal could do, and then Jettatura was another go at it, both largely ignored by the mainstream. Finally I'm including Evil Islands because despite all the retards here putting either pure aciton games, or shooters like Deus Ex or System Shock on their lists, or visual novels, this forgotten gem of a game proves that you can make a tactical game get along with RPG elements. The RPG fantasy version of Commandos was never truly followed up on.

Consider yourself educated.

Beans00

Erudite
Voting and democracy is inherently homosexual, only the select few of the aristocracy ever has any taste in any society. Just take a look at any best selling list from any time period, and in any medium, and my point is made for me. If I'm going to vote I'm going to make it a statement and an exercise in education of plebs. The entirety of the CRPG genre has been single-handedly carried by three great men since computer RPGs overtook tabletop as the optimal entertainment format in the 80's. This treefold Atlas consists of Robert J. Woodhead, who caved out the genre itself, David W. Bradley that forged a future for a genre that might otherwise have become stale and died, and finally perfected by Cleveland M. Blakemore. What I present you with here is not just my favorite RPGs, or games, this is the CRPG canon whittled down to just ten games.

Top RPGS:
*Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
*Wizardry: Knight of Diamonds
*Wizardry: Legacy of Llylgamyn
*Wizardry: The Return of Werdna
*Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom
*Wizardry: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
*Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
*Wizards & Warriors
*Dungeon Lords

Honorable mention goes to Jon Van Caneghem, who was destined to always play second fiddle to Sir-tech, and I would have put his magnum opus in the spot of Dungeon Lords, if it wasn't for the simple fact that Dungeon Lords is one of the most important games ever made and it is only thanks to the forbidden fusion of old school CRPG and action game that we have companies like FromSoft now dominating the gaming landscape after the Japanese started copying the Bradley design innovation for consoles. Without Dungeon Lords there would be no Dragon's Dogma, no Dark Souls, and no Nioh. Even the Chinese have started to copy the formula.

Dishonorable mentions go to Richard Garriott, Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, as well as Todd Howard, the four horsemen of RPG decline. Swen Vincke is seemingly aspiring to become a fifth with his degenerate horseshit topping the charts of late.

Hidden Gems:
*Wizards & Warriors
*Dungeon Lords
*Two Worlds
*Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry
*Mistmare
*Summoner
*Devil Whiskey
*Jettatura
*Evil Islands

The three first are a given, despite being as important as the Wizardry games they never get the same recognition of historical importance or how great they were within the genre. Two Worlds is like Oblivion or Gothic 3, except good. Vendetta is one of the exceedingly rare historical RPGs about pirates. Mistmare has the same atmosphere as Gothic or the first Witcher but it's almost entirely forgotten and a bitch to get running properly on modern systems. Summoner I make no excuses for, I'm only including it due to nostalgia, and more people should play it. Devil Whiskey was a failed indie attempt at taking the blobber crown, something only a Neanderthal could do, and then Jettatura was another go at it, both largely ignored by the mainstream. Finally I'm including Evil Islands because despite all the retards here putting either pure aciton games, or shooters like Deus Ex or System Shock on their lists, or visual novels, this forgotten gem of a game proves that you can make a tactical game get along with RPG elements. The RPG fantasy version of Commandos was never truly followed up on.

Consider yourself educated.
Joined Mar 14, 2021
Location Serbia

Yikes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom