Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rank all BioWare games

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
ZmeWU9p.jpg

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can't be bothered, but Jade Empire and ME3 would be higher than on most of your lists.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Actually good games:
Baldur's gate 2
Decent games that just lack something:
Baldur's gate 1
Dragon age 1
Shattered Steel
Mass effect 1
MDK 2
Games that are good for mods only:
Neverwinter Nights 1
Mediocrity incarnate:
Kotor 1
Mass Effect 2
Jade Empire
Sonic Chronicles
MMO LOL:
Old Republic
Warhammer online
Bad:
Dragon Age 2/Inquisition
Mass effect 3/ Andromeda
Anthem

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
well, seems like I have played their good games already so DA2 is next for me. Some people seemed to like it somewhat so can’t be that bad, right?

janior

Arcane
Patron
preferring bg2 over bg1... tasteless
also mass effect 2 is way better game than the first one, might be worse rpg but who cares about that if it has better shooting?

jackofshadows

Magister
It's pretty fucking bad in all facets but you have to experience that for yourself.

Re: writing no idea what's so good about it, stuff is just happening there sometimes.

The Jester

Cipher
well, seems like I have played their good games already so DA2 is next for me. Some people seemed to like it somewhat so can’t be that bad, right?
writing is surprisingly good and probably BioWare's best.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Can you name ONE (1) example of good writing in DA2?
Inb4 "DUDE it's in a single city and it's not about saving le WORLD!"

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
He has to be trolling. If not I'd love to read his thoughts. A surprising amount of people here love DA2. Haven't read one compelling argument about why tho.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
There are parts where you can see the seeds of interesting ideas that are either pulled off badly or never come to fruition, so you can enjoy bits of it for a while but ultimately it's frustrating. Not saying you shouldn't play it, but at times it's more annoying than Inquisition despite being slightly better because at least with Inquisition it's almost all irredeemably bland, DA2 is like the shadow of a better game that could have existed given more time and effort which feels like more of a letdown.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
There are parts where you can see the seeds of interesting ideas that are either pulled off badly or never come to fruition, so you can enjoy bits of it for a while but ultimately it's frustrating. Not saying you shouldn't play it, but at times it's more annoying than Inquisition despite being slightly better because at least with Inquisition it's almost all irredeemably bland, DA2 is like the shadow of a better game that could have existed given more time and effort which feels like more of a letdown.
I can say the same about DA:O tbh

- most of the time I didn't even know what all the side quests were that I was doing, side quests generally are badly implemented, with NPC saying the same lines on completion.
- some quests got buggd out I think, like the one where I was to smuggle lyrium from orzammar and sell it to a guy in the mage tower, but I couldn't find him, also couldn't find the meleficar in the brecilian forest, maybe I'm too dumb but I looked multiple times and already playing with the 2 bugfix mods
- Branka was a letdown after the psychological horror buildup
- DLC items do not carry over to other modules and require a mod to fix that
- my goth waifu left me

Last edited:

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What puts me off from playing DA2 again is the reused locations and lack of enemy variety. I don't remember it having big variety in builds as well. With all the repetition, amounts of trash mobs and same locations the game feels like a fever dream at times, more so than DA:O.

There are some notable moments and maybe that makes it worth it for a full playthrough. But I vividly remember what I was thinking after beating the last boss: "This is not what Dragon Age is about at all.". Followed by huge waves of disappointment washing over me.

I can't find a single category in which DA2 is better than Origins. If I remember correctly DA2 had a different tittle planned for it initially but later on was decided to be called "Dragon Age 2". The reality is that it's just a game in the Dragon Age universe and not really a sequel.

Anyway, play it but lower your expectations and you should be fine.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Ranked purely on the amount of fun I've had with the games:

JkL9NW3.png

For me BG1 is just a game I will never be bored with, I've replayed it so so many times.

Maybe one day I will play Andromeda, or DA2 or any of the others I've stayed away from due to them not passing my eye check. But I will shamefully admit that I liked DA:I.

Iucounu

Educated
also mass effect 2 is way better game than the first one, might be worse rpg but who cares about that if it has better shooting?
Not even sure ME2 is a worse RPG, actually. What is ME1 doing better? Both games are console ports of course, but considering that they can still be enjoyable.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
He has to be trolling. If not I'd love to read his thoughts. A surprising amount of people here love DA2. Haven't read one compelling argument about why tho.
1. The overarching plot isn't "save the world". That might sound like a cliche thing to say about DA2 at this point, but it informs everything around it. It forced Bioware to be creative for once and figure out how to tell a story that doesn't revolve around McGuffins and going to 4 places. There's political tension, personal tragedy, realistic relationships, nuanced takes on people's wishes and more.

2. The characters feel like actual people with agency for once. Sebastian and Fenris are the worst ones, but they still have understandable personalities and interactions with other party members. The companions also uncover more of themselves depending on your relationship with them (whether friendly or somewhat antagonistic). I actually liked how you couldn't influence Anders to change his mind about blowing up the church. Sometimes, there can be no compromises, especially when we are talking about people's freedom. Did he do the right thing to force change? No, but he isn't omniscient or perfect, he did what he thought would cause a big enough reaction. Even Isabela is a good character.

3. The game has actual themes that go somewhere (even though it shits the bed in the ending). Meredith is a great example of how over-vigilance can turn into paranoia and a witch hunt and how doubts and desire to uphold the law can cause you to put undue pressure on groups of people, causing a cursed circle where they retaliate and you squeeze harder, forcing them to be more and more radical in defending themselves. The Arishok shows how religious fundamentalism can be both scary and attractive, even magnetic. You understand why people would like to join up with them. He's a better antagonist than the darkspawn can ever be. Kudos to Bioware for all this.

also, Anders and Isabela caused my bisexual awakening when I was a teen

Last edited:

Blutwurstritter

Learned
Why on earth does Neverwinter Nights 1 get good ratings? It is massive decline compared to the Infinity Engine games. Single character instead of party, no good quests, clunky controls, ugly early 3D, unmemorable soundtrack and ugly representation overall. The only good thing that I remember was the ability to smash doors and containers and the radial menu, which is a nice gimmick, but certainly doesn't change the fact that the game is forgettable shovelware.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
1. The overarching plot isn't "save the world". That might sound like a cliche thing to say about DA2 at this point, but it informs everything around it. It forced Bioware to be creative for once and figure out how to tell a story that doesn't revolve around McGuffins and going to 4 places. There's political tension, personal tragedy, realistic relationships, nuanced takes on people's wishes and more.

2. The characters feel like actual people with agency for once. Sebastian and Fenris are the worst ones, but they still have understandable personalities and interactions with other party members. The companions also uncover more of themselves depending on your relationship with them (whether friendly or somewhat antagonistic). I actually liked how you couldn't influence Anders to change his mind about blowing up the church. Sometimes, there can be no compromises, especially when we are talking about people's freedom. Did he do the right thing to force change? No, but he isn't omniscient or perfect, he did what he thought would cause a big enough reaction. Even Isabela is a good character.

3. The game has actual themes that go somewhere (even though it shits the bed in the ending). Meredith is a great example of how over-vigilance can turn into paranoia and a witch hunt and how doubts and desire to uphold the law can cause you to put undue pressure on groups of people, causing a cursed circle where they retaliate and you squeeze harder, forcing them to be more and more radical in defending themselves. The Arishok shows how religious fundamentalism can be both scary and attractive, even magnetic. You understand why people would like to join up with them. He's a better antagonist than the darkspawn can ever be. Kudos to Bioware for all this.

Well to each his own. More power to you. :)

In true Codex fashion I will need to replay the game on the hardest possible difficulty before I can express a more in-depth opinion. Yes, I remember nuances of what you are saying but it's hard to recall how well they were executed. I can't really imagine it being as good as you are making it sound tho.

jackofshadows

Magister
I will need to replay the game on the hardest possible difficulty
Good like with that. I mean sure it's more than doable but at some point I guarantee Nth spawn wave of enemies out of thin fucking air during the combat just behind your 2rd line's back will royally piss you off.

Camel

Scholar
Why on earth does Neverwinter Nights 1 get good ratings? It is massive decline compared to the Infinity Engine games. Single character instead of party, no good quests, clunky controls, ugly early 3D, unmemorable soundtrack and ugly representation overall. The only good thing that I remember was the ability to smash doors and containers and the radial menu, which is a nice gimmick, but certainly doesn't change the fact that the game is forgettable shovelware.
The NWN toolset and fan-made modules.

Falksi

Arcane

Well to each his own. More power to you. :)

In true Codex fashion I will need to replay the game on the hardest possible difficulty before I can express a more in-depth opinion. Yes, I remember nuances of what you are saying but it's hard to recall how well they were executed. I can't really imagine it being as good as you are making it sound tho.
The hardest difficulty setting just makes the reams of already boring trash mob fights last longer, and thus the game even duller. The Arishock fight on said hardest setting is probably one of the worst in gaming history, pure anti-climatic boredom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom