Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: 2FA NOW MANDATORY - YOU DON'T NEED A PHONE NUMBER FFS

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Someone hacked Darkpatriot’s account because of his Ukrainian posting?

It was probably Bester

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
It was a rival CIA rogue department who is not happy about "something" or about DP sloppy job in the thread, otherwise why delete? and not replace posts with something funny?

Checkmate.

Skorpion

Educated
Russia, China, who could it be?
I blame North Korea and their leet engineers!!
...but its probably Bester yeah.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I don't hang out in the war thread, I don't even read the news. Get a better scapegoat.

I have 3 personal game projects, all of which are fucked, and a commercial one which I can't stand. If I could code scripts to delete someone's posts, it'd be me from a different timeline where I'm a millionaire with 24h/day of free time on my hands.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Making a script to delete someone's post is much easier than programming necessary for game development.
You would have to circumvent the protections put in place after jcd's spergout.

No it wasn't done like that. Someone got the darkpatriot password, entered his account and then most likely found a loophole in SQL/site protections, and executed just one command to delete all darkpatriot posts from particular topic with just one query which won't timeout you, as opposed to the case where you had executed a script which querried a repeatable command mimicking the user deleting posts[most servers have protections against flooding].

This is just my speculation.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Making a script to delete someone's post is much easier than programming necessary for game development.
When DU held a competition for people to guess which buttons are being used the most, I parsed the public profiles of everyone. It's a pain in the ass, because out of a thousand profiles, you'll have dozens which are a) loaded only partially, every time throwing some different error code, good luck detecting and treating that, b) your internet went down for a second, your program crashed, c) the codex's server went down for a few sec, code for that e) some function that was supposed to give you the next poster, gave you some weird shit which locked your program in an infinite loop, now debug that shit and it'll occur 5-7 times in total, and be unique every time.
I parsed it and almost won (took second place I think), but it took me a day. I don't have a day now, nor do I have the energy for mischief. But if I did, I'd use chatgpt to alter posts. Deletion is just boring.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
This also happened to dextermorgan last month.

There are butthurt lunatics in the Ukraine War thread who WILL try to find your credentials in database leaks and break into your account. You have been warned.
There are butthurt lunatics in the Uruk-Hai war thread, but no way Polacks and Fingolians and the rest of the butthurt-belters are capable of such creative destruction.

Besides, darkpatriot isn't so stupid as to use the same login and password on other sites on the internet. Dextermorgan, sure, but not DP.

I call bullshit.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
When DU held a competition for people to guess which buttons are being used the most, I parsed the public profiles of everyone. It's a pain in the ass, because out of a thousand profiles, you'll have dozens which are a) loaded only partially, every time throwing some different error code, good luck detecting and treating that, b) your internet went down for a second, your program crashed, c) the codex's server went down for a few sec, code for that e) some function that was supposed to give you the next poster, gave you some weird shit which locked your program in an infinite loop, now debug that shit and it'll occur 5-7 times in total, and be unique every time.
I parsed it and almost won (took second place I think), but it took me a day. I don't have a day now, nor do I have the energy for mischief. But if I did, I'd use chatgpt to alter posts. Deletion is just boring.

ChatGPT censorship would never allow you to generate zigger propaganda, You'd need a local LLM.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
You would have to circumvent the protections put in place after jcd's spergout.

No it wasn't done like that. Someone got the darkpatriot password, entered his account and then most likely found a loophole in SQL/site protections, and executed just one command to delete all darkpatriot posts from particular topic with just one query which won't timeout you, as opposed to the case where you had executed a script which querried a repeatable command mimicking the user deleting posts[most servers have protections against flooding].

This is just my speculation.
:hmmm:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It could be Bester, sure, but guessing someone's password doesn't require l33tSkIlLz, so it could be anybody.

I once stole Warcraft II Battle.Net account of one of the best players, because I was bored and apparently his password was his nickname backwards
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

There are butthurt lunatics in the Ukraine War thread who WILL try to find your credentials in database leaks and break into your account. You have been warned.
if you have strong feelings about a war where hundreds of thousands of people are dying you are a butthurt lunatic

I'm sure deleting DP's posts will have a massive impact on the war.

Semiurge

Cipher

So essentially with a unique stronk password the account should be relatively safe unless someone bruteforces it, or the codex servers themselves suffer a leak...?

:hmmm:

how many posts need to be purged from a thread in order to trigger this? Is it raw count, percentage? Any other factors like min thread length?
asking for a friend

A mass reaction script would probably accomplish the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom