Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please tell me why I'm going to hate Oblivion

Lumpy

Arcane
RPG is read Er-Pee-Gee, right? Then it does have a starting vowel.
Also, for a game to be aN RPG, it has to allow you to play different roles, which Morrowind does.
A non-violent thief, a lawful assassin, a selfish wizard, and many more, you may role-play any of those in Morrowind. Which should mean that Morrowing is, in fact, and RPG.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Also, for a game to be aN RPG, it has to allow you to play different roles, which Morrowind does.
A non-violent thief, a lawful assassin, a selfish wizard, and many more, you may role-play any of those in Morrowind. Which should mean that Morrowing is, in fact, and RPG.

Erole playing game? Yeah, that sounds about right :shock: Role Playing Game.

And, once again, you seem to have a completely different version of Morrowind to the one I got in my box. It is catagorically impossible to play as a "non-violent" anything in the version I have...

Lumpy

Arcane
OverrideB1 said:
Lumpy said:

Erole playing game? Yeah, that sounds about right :shock: Role Playing Game.

And, once again, you seem to have a completely different version of Morrowind to the one I got in my box. It is catagorically impossible to play as a "non-violent" anything in the version I have...
I though acronyms are read by the spelling, not by the full worlds. So RPG should not be read "role playing game", but "er-pee-gee", so RPG starts with a vowel, and an should be put before it rather than a.
And by non-violent I meant one who doesn't murder anyone, which is entirely possible for a thief.

Lumpy

Arcane
Claw said:
I am afraid Lumpy is right regarding the grammar. Exception proves the rule, though. :P
Right about what? :P The pronunciation part or the Morrowind part?

AlanC9

Liturgist
Lumpy said:
I though acronyms are read by the spelling, not by the full worlds. So RPG should not be read "role playing game", but "er-pee-gee", so RPG starts with a vowel, and an should be put before it rather than a.

Isn't it pronounced "ar-pee-gee"?

Lumpy

Arcane
AlanC9 said:
Lumpy said:

Isn't it pronounced "ar-pee-gee"?
Right. Whatever. It's still a vowel.

OverrideB1

Scholar
As a general rule, an acronym isn't read (except by those bored with all that reading stuff) as anything other than what the letters stand for. Certainly it has become standard practice to read "ar-pee-gee" for RPG (or "tee-vee" for the common acronym for television) but, in truth, it should be read as "role playing game". An acronym is not a word, it is a convenience, a short-hand method of conveying a group of words that have a common, and commonly agreed, meaning.

If we wanted to be really pedantic about it, and absolutely grammatically correct, it would be written R.P.G. instead of RPG.

If you want a good example, consider the common abbreviation "Mr." - this is generally and widely accepted to stand for "Mister" (just as M. in French stands for Monsieur). But it's never pronounced "mer" or "murr" or even "em-ar" - it's always pronounced "mister". An acronym - which is an abbreviation formed by the initial letters of a multi-word phrase - is formally no different - in gramatically correct speech each word, rather than the phonetic value of each letter, is given.

It maybe that English is undergoing one of those sea-weather changes (such as it did in the mid-1500's where thee, and thou were formally replaced by the more common "you" - amongst a great many other changes) where the pronunciation rules change and it becomes formally accepted to give the phonetic value of each letter of the acronym. However, until such time as rules codifying that are formally accepted, "a RPG" is gramatically correct (reading it as "a role playing game") whereas "an RPG" (reading it as "an ar-pee-gee") is not.

Lumpy

Arcane
OverrideB1 said:
As a general rule, an acronym isn't read (except by those bored with all that reading stuff) as anything other than what the letters stand for. Certainly it has become standard practice to read "ar-pee-gee" for RPG (or "tee-vee" for the common acronym for television) but, in truth, it should be read as "role playing game". An acronym is not a word, it is a convenience, a short-hand method of conveying a group of words that have a common, and commonly agreed, meaning.

If we wanted to be really pedantic about it, and absolutely grammatically correct, it would be written R.P.G. instead of RPG.

If you want a good example, consider the common abbreviation "Mr." - this is generally and widely accepted to stand for "Mister" (just as M. in French stands for Monsieur). But it's never pronounced "mer" or "murr" or even "em-ar" - it's always pronounced "mister". An acronym - which is an abbreviation formed by the initial letters of a multi-word phrase - is formally no different - in gramatically correct speech each word, rather than the phonetic value of each letter, is given.

It maybe that English is undergoing one of those sea-weather changes (such as it did in the mid-1500's where thee, and thou were formally replaced by the more common "you" - amongst a great many other changes) where the pronunciation rules change and it becomes formally accepted to give the phonetic value of each letter of the acronym. However, until such time as rules codifying that are formally accepted, "a RPG" is gramatically correct (reading it as "a role playing game") whereas "an RPG" (reading it as "an ar-pee-gee") is not.
From the little english I heard, I always hear acronyms being pronounced by the letters. FBI, CSI, LAPD, USA, etc.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You put "an" in front of acronyms whose sounds start with a vowel. It is "an RPG" rather than "a RPG". Technicalities aside, almost everyone reads RPG as ar-pee-gee and it makes your writing smoother. Always remember that technicalities are just that, and what really matter is style. Just keep your audience in mind. Making your text flow more easily to your audience is better than being technically correct.

Thrawn05

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
You put "an" in front of acronyms whose sounds start with a vowel. It is "an RPG" rather than "a RPG". Technicalities aside, almost everyone reads RPG as ar-pee-gee and it makes your writing smoother. Always remember that technicalities are just that, and what really matter is style. Just keep your audience in mind. Making your text flow more easily to your audience is better than being technically correct.

That should be in the FAQ page. :D

Data4

Arcane
Damn... two threads have spontaneously turned into grammer nazzery (not a word. Fuck you). I love the Codex!

-D4

Thrawn05

Scholar
Data4 said:
Damn... two threads have spontaneously turned into grammer nazzery (not a word. Fuck you). I love the Codex!

-D4

And notice that it's the same people having the same argument. :roll:

It looks like we need a new Oblivion thread soon. :P

OverrideB1

Scholar
I have no intention of debating this with anyone, having posted the above. Been there, realised the futility, couldn't give a flying fuck how technically correct anyone else's grammar is.

Thrawn05

Scholar
OverrideB1 said:
...couldn't give a flying fuck how technically correct anyone else's grammar is.

Same here. Nevertheless it is the recreation in order to it observes other him you discuss.

BTW: I butchered my post by running it through Babel fish several times.

Voltare

Liturgist
I propose we invent classes of rpg's, since some consider morrowind an( i said it, i'll stick to it :p )rpg, and not diablo 2.
arpg- action-rpg, a game where action is the main point ( diablo 2, for instance)

srpg- story-driven rpg, one in which a good story makes you play it over and over( planescape:torment)

trpg- true turn-based rpg , one which has a certain style of battle in which the player and the enemies take turns at hits.(fallout, baldur's gate, etc.)

brpg- bethesduh rpg, usually the later versions of a series, that just don't quite match up to the companies previous efforts(fallout 2, bg2,icewind dale, morrowind, neverwinter nights)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lumpy said:
Right about what? :P The pronunciation part or the Morrowind part?
I am sorry, I seem to have missed the grammatical controversy regardning Morrowind. I was talking about the acronym part, as it was the only grammar issue I was aware of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom