Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please delete this account

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Groover Where did this happen? You've posted in GRPG twice and that was in the gothic Remake thread. So where did this dismissiveness happen if you haven't said anything about RPGs?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I suppose it might be apt to spin the question onto those of you who've been around for ages. So, what keeps YOU guys coming back here?
1. There's no other place like this on the entire internet: With free speech but not going 4chan retardation. You are free to be as blunt and share whatever opinions you want, as well as comment on others'. Compare to resetera/reddit/whatever where you walk on eggshells not to get banned. But also most posters are well balanced, only few are extremists.

2. Even more importantly, there's no other place like this on the entire internet: Where you can find information about the most niche and good cRPGs. You won't find information anywhere else about i.e. Prelude to Darkness. Moreover, people here are knowledgeable about RPGs a lot - nowhere else you will find a large amount of people who played a lot of RPGs since 90s (or even earlier) and know what they are talking about. Compare to RPGWatch which plays old games but overall only mainstream ones, or Reddit where they play only mainstream and new ones.

If you love RPGs there's no other place to go unless you want to limit yourself.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I suppose it might be apt to spin the question onto those of you who've been around for ages. So, what keeps YOU guys coming back here?
1. There's no other place like this on the entire internet: With free speech but not going 4chan retardation. You are free to be as blunt and share whatever opinions you want, as well as comment on others'. Compare to resetera/reddit/whatever where you walk on eggshells not to get banned. But also most posters are well balanced, only few are extremists.

2. Even more importantly, there's no other place like this on the entire internet: Where you can find information about the most niche and good cRPGs. You won't find information anywhere else about i.e. Prelude to Darkness. Moreover, people here are knowledgeable about RPGs a lot - nowhere else you will find a large amount of people who played a lot of RPGs since 90s (or even earlier) and know what they are talking about. Compare to RPGWatch which plays old games but overall only mainstream ones, or Reddit where they play only mainstream and new ones.

If you love RPGs there's no other place to go unless you want to limit yourself.
thank fuck nobody else mentions prelude to darkness in civil society

Falksi

Arcane
Very few other places on the net give me...
  • Genuine free speech
  • Good humour
  • Informed content. Even if I disagree with various articles, statements & debates, a lot of people involved are actually talking from a place of experience rather than the normie trend shit of copy-pasting someone else's opinion or judging from a youtube vid etc.
  • Anti-woke values
  • Anti-normie values
  • Generally life-inclining traditional values, especially when it comes to family and masculinity.
  • This place very much has it's finger on the pulse when it comes to more undergound gaming, such as indie gaming. Some Youtubers would be lost without it.
  • The Redhead "Udmurt liberation front" thread.
Bonus point...

The Diversity. Seriously, forget the modern agenda-version of this, The Codex has a ton of different Nationalities and it's great to get info & perspectives from them all. I doubt I would have even heard of Pepe Escobar had I not been on the Codex, yet he's given me some of the best internet laughs ever

This place to me is genuinely the "last of the free" (which is coincidently a brilliant BBC Micro game). I'd spend more time on here if I had the time, but real life gets in the way. Underail, Avernum, Pepe Escobar, a shared kindred hatred of Chrono Trigger, a war thread which has quicker updates than tons of other places, a true appreciation of turn-based gaming, a true appreciation of D&D (and I've never even played real life D&D, only played Warhammer) etc. I get a lot out of it.

And the buttons are funny too.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
a shared kindred hatred of Chrono Trigger

Ahem.

flip-off-finger-flipping-the-bird.gif

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So, what keeps YOU guys coming back here?
Sunk cost fallacy, some genuinely nice people here to talk to with games about (yes, I know, sounds crazy, but they are here, and it is always a pleasure to talk to them), and in general an appreciation even for the most obscure RPG you can think off

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Safespace zombra offering safespace advice to newfags is the most hilarious and faggly thing in this thread.

With 400 ignored codexers, I wonder how come he hasn't got the safespace tag yet.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Which brings me back to the point I made about the possibility that the medium of online text-based discourse might just inherently be flawed, and fraught with misunderstanding due to the limits of reading disembodied text.
This just in: local man discovers the internet. lmfao

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
So, what keeps YOU guys coming back here?

RPGcodex is the cool place to hang out. You can find most of the cool people there. In RPGCodex you can just chill and do whatever and totally relax. "Take it easy" is the RPGCodex motto, for example, that's how laid back it is there. Show up if you want to have a good time. Another good reason to show up is if you want to hang out with friends.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It is, and I thank you for catching me on a misuse of the term. I was envisioning a place of constructive, freeform discussion, in which the end goal is growth.. which doesn't preclude free speech, and is what pretty much what everyone wants. In the end, I think my second point was a more succinct summation of my stance;

I had and have great and productive debates here, if the administration does not have it's retard day.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Safespace zombra offering safespace advice to newfags is the most hilarious and faggly thing in this thread.

With 400 ignored codexers, I wonder how come he hasn't got the safespace tag yet.

Meh, big ignore list or not, Zombra is a good codexer.

Always polite to me and has good takes on games. We've had some good conversations about survival horror titles.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Meh, big ignore list or not, Zombra is a good codexer.

Always polite to me and has good takes on games. We've had some good conversations about survival horror titles.
Being polite just means he's not a good codexer

Beans00

Erudite

Maybe if you used less judging you words/statements and more understalding I language you wouldn't need to be salty about being ignored.

As for Groover , the forum is as bad or as good as you want it to be. There's plenty of people here who like newer/different games and there's always a thread with people giving their playing experiences. This forum does have alot of people who 'hate play' things as well who just play games to whine about how much they hate them. I would say there's still posters here who are worth reading. I joined the site in 2008 to cry about how much I hated nwn 2, since I was like 15 I was a pretty garbage shit poster. Back then was the height of the oblivion/fallout 3 insanitywhere bethesda collectively broke the codex's brain so even back then this forum was pretty wild. Shitposting has always been a thing here but you just need to ignore it. If you really find no redeeming features or posts on the site then thats your choice but there are still well reasoned posts and arguments even in 2023

Biggest advice if you stick around is to completely avoid general discussion/politics. Literally just filled with crazy people posturing because none or very few of them have anyone to talk to in real life.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom