Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Please delete this account

Groover

Literate
There seems to be a denial of progress, and any earnest attempts at critiquing codex-beloved classics are just immediately viewed as decline. There's something a little demoralizing about really going out of your way to write something with attention to the finer points, and having it refuted with cheap generalities and, at the risk of triggering the hivemind, just a sort of mean-spiritedness.
But you haven't actually done this. This hasn't happened to you and you've only made up a cynical potential scenario that might not actually play out the way you think it may.
If there's actually any sort of "nauseating" part about this forum, it is exactly the fact that people here seem to consistently make up weird scenarios in their head on how things might go and base their posting habits around said made up scenarios.

Roll the dice, you fucking cowards. It's legitimately demeaning and saddening to see people shy away from expressing their true opinions, starting interesting debates and causing people to share their unique viewpoints simply because someone MIGHT be a tad bit rude or someone MIGHT spam them with silly reaction emoticons.
I don't stand to gain anything from making up scenarios - I'm just actively wasting my time having to support my position in the form of these replies, which is why I wanted to delete the account to begin with.

And as for your second point, when someone takes the time to share something and the responses are dismissively negative, there's just no further need to take the time to intellectualize because you might as well be talking with gorillas. Forget the standpoint of taking offense, you don't go out of your way to philosophize with dogs because you won't get anywhere.

Falksi

Arcane

And as for your second point, when someone takes the time to share something and the responses are dismissively negative, there's just no further need to take the time to intellectualize because you might as well be talking with gorillas. Forget the standpoint of taking offense, you don't go out of your way to philosophize with dogs because you won't get anywhere.

I mean I agree, but that's just forums and internet groups in general. You take from them what you can.

Like for example me reading this thread reminded me of the Kenny Rogers song "The Gambler". That's a Bonus point for the evening.

lhaCE82.gif

Groover

Literate
I suppose it might be apt to spin the question onto those of you who've been around for ages. So, what keeps YOU guys coming back here?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I suppose it might be apt to spin the question onto those of you who've been around for ages. So, what keeps YOU guys coming back here?
where else would I be able to whinge at the current thing without any pretense of accountability

Groover

Literate
You sound very upset. Could have just stopped using the account and left, but you had to make a big production out of it.
No, not upset in the slightest. I couldn't find a 'delete account' button in the settings, and a Google search resulted in other similar forum topics so I assumed that it was protocol to do it this way. Delete the thread if you want.

Chanel Oberlin

Pineapple appreciator
Patron
Just log out. No need for everyone to make a cry for attention whenever they want to leave.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[well-reasoned rationale, real talk about sensible boundaries and productive use of time and resources within a finite lifespan]
Damn, I never heard of you until 10 minutes ago and already the Codex seems like a poorer place for losing you.

Hi. My name is Zombra. Codex join date: January 11, 2004.
I keep coming back for the 10% of posters (and dwindling) who aren't Nazi snowflakes - the thinkers who know the difference between exploring the edge, and either deliberately cutting themselves with it or Knieveling straight off into an abyss where terror and hatred obliterate all other thoughts. There are plenty of thoughtful people here with fascinating ideas and cogent, thoughtful appreciation for this hobby of ours, and what we have to look forward to, good and bad. Just gotta be assertive about separating the wheat from the chaff. And oh heavens you're not wrong that there is a lotta chaff.

Saduj

Arcane
I don't disagree with anything OP is saying. But why must the account be deleted? Never understood why people insist on this. All you have to do is not visit the site. No need to give someone else homework over it.

Groover

Literate
I don't disagree with anything OP is saying. But why must the account be deleted? Never understood why people insist on this. All you have to do is not visit the site. No need to give someone else homework over it.
It's one less temptation - I know the account doesn't exist anymore, so I can't reason myself into logging back in. They say that willpower is a finite resource, and that it's better to eliminate the option entirely so that it's no longer a recourse.

alcoholyte

Novice
You've been here less than a month. Why do you want to leave?
I'm sorry, I'm new here, but isnt this normal? I keep seeing a lot of "guest" and "self-ejected" accounts and a lot of people seem to struggle with substance abuse
Wouldn't it be better if more people left before that happened to them?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You've been here less than a month. Why do you want to leave?
I'm sorry, I'm new here, but isnt this normal? I keep seeing a lot of "guest" and "self-ejected" accounts and a lot of people seem to struggle with substance abuse
Wouldn't it be better if more people left before that happened to them?
Ridiculous. Video game enthusiasts are not subject to compulsive behavior.

alcoholyte

Novice
Again I mean no disrespect, but trying to make sense of this:

The site isn't what I thought it was. I was under the impression that it was one of the last internet platforms for gaming-centric free speech, and it's definitely more permissive of that than something like Reddit (which outright censors unpopular opinions), but I think the forums here are largely characterised by stupid levels of nostalgia.

Isn't that pretty much the case in all "free speech" spaces? People are less attracted to ideals than they are to context, and it figures that somewhere that values free speech would also be high on nostalgia because we always feel as though speech was freer back in XYZ. Free speech tends to be valued not as a value in itself (unless you're a very specific type of liberal), but rather as something that can conciliate old timey nostalgia driven principles with modern day discourse.

There seems to be a denial of progress, and any earnest attempts at critiquing codex-beloved classics are just immediately viewed as decline.

Which ones? I was recommended this forum by a friend of mine whose favorite game was space wolves 3. When you say "denial of progress", do you mean pretending that bg3's inventory system is great, or do you mean pretending that oblivion's radiant quests are deserving of anything other than loathing? Without elaboration (and critique), any given statement is as valid as any other. I would assume natural law does not apply to cRPG criticism.

There's something a little demoralizing about really going out of your way to write something with attention to the finer points, and having it refuted with cheap generalities and, at the risk of triggering the hivemind, just a sort of mean-spiritedness.

This is just how internet discourse has been since...well, I would assume Arpanet, but more likely at least from Usenet on. Making grandiose arguments and being refuted by cheap generalities has always been a democratizing (if frustrating) feature of online communication.

I understand how that can be read as my being a snowflake (God knows the world seems to be absolutely polluted with them right now), but there might be some kind of over-correction. I paraphrase, but even the mods jest at having to wait to be approved before conversing with the other "retards". It's like there's only so much cynicism you can consume before it just gets nauseating.

There is certainly an overcorrection. I can't opine about the cynicism from the mods - i don't know them - but, again, this would be nothing new. It's odd that you're contextualizing it as some sort of break with history.

Viewed from another lens, I don't think the written format is conducive to meaningful debate, and it's easy to minsinterpret what someone writes since there's no tonal inflection, or room for immediate correction. We also tend to taint words with the mood we're currently in. And it's addictive to see that little notification bell in response to something you've written, only to have your attention pulled for some dumb strawman bullshit that argues from the basis of some kind of superiority. It's just a bit tiresome, and life has gotten rougher with the general increase in cost-of-living, so it's important to sort out my time and dedicate it to the things that bring abundance..

I sympathize. LIfe is pain. That doesnt make it meaningless or make its meanness specifically targetted at you. But I do sympathize.

Like I said in my previous post, it seems like a healthy decision for you to leave. Why stay when the only perspective you have is an increase in misery, regardless of what you do?

I wish you luck, and hope you will do well.

Last edited:

Zlaja

Arcane

- Freedom of expression
- Old school board format
- Nice design
- People here care less about normie trends
- Lulzy ratings
- Well made notification system
- Mostly non-libtard crowd

Last edited:

Groover

Literate
Isn't that pretty much the case in all "free speech" spaces? People are less attracted to ideals than they are to context, and it figures that somewhere that values free speech would also be high on nostalgia because we always feel as though speech was freer back in XYZ. Free speech tends to be valued not as a value in itself (unless you're a very specific type of liberal), but rather as something that can conciliate old timey nostalgia driven principles with modern day discourse.
It is, and I thank you for catching me on a misuse of the term. I was envisioning a place of constructive, freeform discussion, in which the end goal is growth.. which doesn't preclude free speech, and is what pretty much what everyone wants. In the end, I think my second point was a more succinct summation of my stance;
This is just how internet discourse has been since...well, I would assume Arpanet, but more likely at least from Usenet on. Making grandiose arguments and being refuted by cheap generalities has always been a democratizing (if frustrating) feature of online communication.
You're right, it has been, and each online forum's attempt at addressing that has just created other problems. Which brings me back to the point I made about the possibility that the medium of online text-based discourse might just inherently be flawed, and fraught with misunderstanding due to the limits of reading disembodied text. All that being said, the codex might be one of the better outlets to discuss that, since our comments aren't at risk of being hidden from view. Is it worth investing in something that's just a fundamentally cheaper version of the real thing, though? It costs time, it demands effort, and the reward is often fleeting.

alcoholyte

Novice
You're right, it has been, and each online forum's attempt at addressing that has just created other problems. Which brings me back to the point I made about the possibility that the medium of online text-based discourse might just inherently be flawed, and fraught with misunderstanding due to the limits of reading disembodied text.

I would agree. There is definitely a fucked up-ed-ness in any kiund of communications "hub", and impersonal text-based internet shit brings all those flaws to the fore. Mind you, monks were having similar arguments back in the 1200s and as far as I know they didn't find a solution for this - hmm - i guess i would call it the idiocy of excessive understanding. Neither have we, of course.

All that being said, the codex might be one of the better outlets to discuss that, since our comments aren't at risk of being hidden from view. Is it worth investing in something that's just a fundamentally cheaper version of the real thing, though?

As for that, I'd say...yeah, it probably is, unless doing so is either feeding some deep mental deterioration, or if your life is interesting enough that using your time on this reduces your average enjoyment of living. I recall the words of that old washed out california hack, "It is such a quiet thing, to fall."

It seems to me, here, it's not such a quiet thing to fall. Seems quite loud, and quite fun. :P

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom