Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Kruyurk

Learned
I started a Ranger play through with a bear companion (I think?) but I rage quit because Mr. Bear kept dying. I could be persuaded to give it another whirl.
You could give a really good whirl to Mr. Bear in BG3.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I liked Hunter in WoW, but a pet bear could actually tank in that game unless you were raiding. PoE pets are a hassle that you have to babysit. I'd rather just play a ranged Cipher.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Pretty much.

There's some good in this game by virtue of the fact it somewhat operates like the classic games. Also, as much as i utterly despised the lore dump the writing in this game suddenly gained a few points after i tried a Larian game for the first time.

That said, it seems i have to fight against the bullshit before i can proceed.
You are over-thinking it. You can roll a barbarian and leave the INT stat alone and do just fine. There is no reason to need to hit every motherfucker on the map in one swing. This is actually another reason why the radial adjustment based on INT is so dumb, imo. Just by the nature of combat in this game, you're normally only going to have 3-4 mobs in your vicinity anyway. It ends up not making a huge difference, and in fact there is something to be said for not hitting the maximum number of targets on attack because you can draw engagement that you might not want. Beyond laughing at it, I paid zero attention to the effect that INT had on my barbarian and I was brutally murdering shit by mid-game.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Picking a bear is your first mistake. Either go with Boar or Antilope pet. Plus pets scale with levels so they do actually get more tanky as the game goes along.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I liked Hunter in WoW, but a pet bear could actually tank in that game unless you were raiding. PoE pets are a hassle that you have to babysit. I'd rather just play a ranged Cipher.
You don't really need to babysit them, though. They are reasonably durable.
Just don't have them berserk charge enemy ranks, as that won't end well.

The Limper

Educated
You don't really need to babysit them, though. They are reasonably durable.
Just don't have them berserk charge enemy ranks, as that won't end well.
I liked alpha blasting with my Ranger, then charging with 2 weapons and pet to double team any flankers that were on my tanks. You can build a decent melee Ranger in PoE.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I started a Ranger play through with a bear companion (I think?) but I rage quit because Mr. Bear kept dying. I could be persuaded to give it another whirl.

However else you spec the ranger, if you think of the pet more as an assist to set up flanking or as a utility to keep enemies off of your party, that's the better way to go. So the rogue training to get half value sneak damage helps too since things will pretty much always be flanked by your pet and a melee character.

In MMO terms, more like an off-tank / backstabber rather than something that can really tank for you long term.

It's also nice because they heal up after combat and can't really die, so they're almost a cheat in that way.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
A arquebus ranger sounds like a fun thing to try but man, there's like two decent unique ones in the game. On the positive side, they're not that hard to get and surprisingly not locked behind late-game content.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Wait, there's a patch coming for this? How?

In English, the word is actually "Why?"
It's been ten years since the game came out, if you haven't noticed. If you had a kid when it was released, said kid is about to enter middle school now.
So... your point is... that instead of asking why, we should have expected this to happen and for it to be the best patch that ever patched because of the significant time it had to be coded?

Wait, there's a patch coming for this? How?

In English, the word is actually "Why?"
It's been ten years since the game came out, if you haven't noticed. If you had a kid when it was released, said kid is about to enter middle school now.
So... your point is... that instead of asking why, we should have expected this to happen and for it to be the best patch that ever patched because of the significant time it had to be coded?
Obsidian are probably not in the mood to make a 10th anniversary celebration, but not doing anything at all might be worse. Contractual limitations could've prevented a patch too.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Obsidian are probably not in the mood to make a 10th anniversary celebration, but not doing anything at all might be worse. Contractual limitations could've prevented a patch too.
I suppose. It's weird that they'd want/need a 10th anniversary patch in the first place given that it's a single player game and isn't talked about all that much in most circles so far as I know.

I suppose. It's weird that they'd want/need a 10th anniversary patch in the first place given that it's a single player game and isn't talked about all that much in most circles so far as I know.
As bland as it is, it's their IP, so it's gotta worth something at least.

Crichton

Prophet
I liked Deadfire better than Pillars 1 because I'm just not that high on RTwP, but tried another theme party not too long ago,

5-Pointed-Star,
5 Priests of Eothas (generally two with missile weapons, two with sword+board and two with reach weapons) + Eder

My initial thought was that this would be an interesting way to see how far you could get with no offense, but if you have to rely on them, priest spellcasting has more oomph than I'd initially factored in. Early on, 5x or 10x Iconic Projection will turn 95% of encounters into ice cubes; the ability to ignore 75% of DR is huge, even cold-resistant enemies are vulnerable. I did not really hit a wall until I started fighting ogres; ogre druids have too many hit points for the early priest spells to do much and those insect plagues really add up for low endurance classes. Eventually, of course, you can push your stats past theirs and beat them head on; cross-class talents to make better ranged priests and front-line priests were much handier than they'd be in a typical one-of-every-class party.

Ranged priestess:
94A0AD6E5E46958DCB8C8780179C3DD2EC45070F

PC flail and board priest:
54278714D7644061FE847AB9F14E02C012EAE7BF

To add to the discussion about attributes for Lyric Suit's soon-to-be-abandoned playthrough, Dex and Con are about the only two that really don't do much of anything outside of combat (Dex saves you a one-handed weapon in the prologue, that's about what you can expect from Dex dialog options) so the ideal PC from a dialog standpoint is high on Str/Per/Int/Res which is a great set for a Paladin, Barbarian or possibly Priest. Paladin and Priest make the most sense for the PC since they get extra mechanical bonuses from disposition choices. The biggest problem for a PC priest is that even with all the resolve, armor and shielding in the world, priests are lousy frontline warriors. But it's not a difficult game, a totally optimized party would probably uninteresting anyway.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
But it's not a difficult game, a totally optimized party would probably uninteresting anyway.
I did a battle priest playthrough (also wrote about it in this thread somewhere) and he got pretty good a few levels in. I focused on fire damage. The priest's collection of offensive spells is actually not that bad and if you take Aggrandizing Radiance or whatever it's called, you can be effective in combat as an off-tank or a flanker.

I never finished that playthrough (had another kid) but I might go back to it someday.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Barbarians in PoE aren't your usual barbarians.

Than they aren't barbarians at all. The concept has been undermined until it loses all meaning.

What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

Get over it and just pick something ffs.

Meh, i'm in the planning phase so this is gonna take a while, not the least because i want to play on PoTD in Expert Mode.

From the looks of it, it seems i may have to make another paladin if i plan to bump the dialog stats a bit. I made a Darcozzi originally but i wasn't feeling the "clever" dialog options, made my character sound like a snarky millenial. Maybe some of the other paladin orders would be a better fit. I could make an off tank and bump int and resolve which seems to be a good fit for paladin. I guess i could leave con to base and dump dex entirely and just put might to max and keep int and resolve as high as i can afford to have them. I liked the fighter NPC you get so i have no problem with him being my frontliner.

Cipher might be an alternative but there's already a Cipher NPC in the game and it's one of those written by Avellone so i don't want to miss her.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
All Depends on the rest of the linup, I've forgotten the specific build, but in my priest-less run I used a very tanky Pala as the sole healer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom