Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
the game sucks anyway, but backer NPCs ruined the atmosphere from the first village onwards. of course most backers wanted to be special and touched by the gods (which makes the whole concept absurd). i still remember that the first green name-tagged NPC i clicked had some gay story about intolerance and said "yeah, i'm never doing that again."

i'm not saying this game is art in any way, but imagine being a person dedicated to his craft and there are hundreds of retarded children running around mutilating your canvas. it cannot work, no matter the qualities you hold yourself.

You can't even just ignore them and pretend they are regular villagers, since those backer NPCs are dressed extravagantly and stand out no matter what. Right now it feels like Gilded Vale has been invaded by tourists.

which is probably the dumbest thing to show when your intention is to create the impression of a town in decay and suffering from famine. imagine playing dark souls and there is a group of hipsters discussing gender issues around your bonfire while there is rotting flesh all around you.
Isn't that normal? You are talking about Hipsters. They are able to talk about how one of them spilled milk on carpet by an accident, and how he found about that when it was rotten with a terror, while giving helpful advices how to remove the stain from carpet, while there would be hordes of dead bodies of soldiers around them, bodies they made themselves.
However they are smart enough to understand that you are on special diet and you'd be damaged if you ate some of what they are normally eating.

Also if you have sense of smell, there are reason why they smell like that.

Either you tolerate them, or you go around at 500 meter distance around them.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
wtf why are whites a minority in my pseudo-early modern south east asian setting??
Sawyer made the Italians in his setting look like sub-Saharan Africans, and that's just one of the populations you will come across more than white people in this game, and of course they also made all the fish people look vaguely like niggers too. You actually justify this slop? Cuck.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
wtf why are whites a minority in my pseudo-early modern south east asian setting??
Sawyer made the Italians in his setting look like sub-Saharan Africans, and that's just one of the populations you will come across more than white people in this game, and of course they also made all the fish people look vaguely like niggers too. You actually justify this slop? Cuck.
I have to defend sawyer on this because A) italians are sub-saharan africans irl and b) if he had made the valians huwhyte like the dutch and portugese empires they are very obviously modelled on, there is no fucking way the woke crowd would've let him get away with having the player be able to be sympathetic to their cause in the game.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
the game sucks anyway, but backer NPCs ruined the atmosphere from the first village onwards. of course most backers wanted to be special and touched by the gods (which makes the whole concept absurd). i still remember that the first green name-tagged NPC i clicked had some gay story about intolerance and said "yeah, i'm never doing that again."

i'm not saying this game is art in any way, but imagine being a person dedicated to his craft and there are hundreds of retarded children running around mutilating your canvas. it cannot work, no matter the qualities you hold yourself.

You can't even just ignore them and pretend they are regular villagers, since those backer NPCs are dressed extravagantly and stand out no matter what. Right now it feels like Gilded Vale has been invaded by tourists.
Yes you can. Wanna know how?
You ignore them.
See how easy it was?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Yes you can. Wanna know how?
You ignore them.
See how easy it was?
It's even easier, you delete directory with the whole game, and suddenly you have space for Rome II: Total War pirated edition. Or was it Emperor edition?

NotSweeper

Educated
Does every single discussion have to devolve into
>but muh niggers
?
There's plenty of criticism that can be leveled at both Pillars, an overabundance of non-whites is the least of its problems.
Sawyer made the Italians in his setting look like sub-Saharan Africans
Based Sawyer nordicist?
identitarians.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Does every single discussion have to devolve into
>but muh niggers

Yes.

Italians aren't niggers. Soyer claiming to be a student of "history" to then not only steal an actual historical culture wholesale (it's too on the nose that Valians are Italians), but then blackwash that culture because as an America niggers are basically his religion is incredibly retarded. To have such an absurd virtue signaling stunt like this just makes his whole setting feel incredibly tacky, and there's already a lot that's obnovious about this world as it is.

NotSweeper

Educated
Italians aren't niggers.
dennis-hopper-true-romance-film-tony-scott-tarantino-1993.png

All joking aside, is it a problem? Sure.
But it's no where near as much of a problem as the numerous mechanical and system problems the game has.
Of the 7 deadly sins of RPGs, shit design trumps wokeism. Sawyer is going straight to hell, but it ain't cause he decided to niggerify the Eyetalians (or at least that won't be the main reason).
I will then voluntarily descend into the realm of RPG Hades to torture his ass for an eternity whilst Cleve and Styg look down from on high with a smile on their face.
Amen.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
From where I'm standing, the problems with the system in both PoE1 and 2 come from the games not being turn-based to begin with. It screams turn-based with how many abilities each character has, while the only things which are made for RTwP are tedious busywork at best. It comes full circle in PoE2 where every ability is per encounter, forcing you to just cycle through the same abilities in the same sequence in each encounter. Very disappointing.

NotSweeper

Educated
I think some of the encounters are actually fairly well designed, considering it's RtWP, and if it were designed for TB from the get go that still wouldn't fix some of the more glaring issue, like the vast majority of said abilities you won't even use in combat since they're fucking useless.
>Balance man designs a system in which using 90% of the abilities would be a suboptimal play
Bravo Sawyer, bravo.
Or the fact that it's using a Vancian system for some classes, but not for others, which doesn't even make a difference in the grand scheme cause you can rest as much as you want.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Oh, there are fundamental issues with the system no doubt, like how most classes end up playing the same, you having to pick the least shit option at level up the majority of the time, most abilities being redundant, accuracy and penetration being the be-all and end-all of character building, etc. This comes from sticking too close to D&D imo. There are too many levels and classes for what the system offers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, anyway, let's keep going with this. Let's see how far i can get this time before i quit again.

Decided to add another custom companion, a general purpose melee rogue, Hearth orlan with the following stats:

13 10 19 15 7 14

I'm using this guy mostly so i can rob the early areas blind lmao, but i'm curious to see how rogues work as well. Interesting how rogues have an actual true dump stat: intellect. Yeah it helps with a couple of their afflictions but in a party even that it's kinda pointless. High intellect barbarians and low intellect rogues. Is this shit intentional or something?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, i don't know if it's because i'm still in act 1, but so far disposition choices haven't changed a whole lot in terms of how quests play out. Since i'm playing in Expert Mode i can't really see what's what but i'm getting the feeling a lot of the disposition checks are mostly just flavor.

That said, some of the dialog i'm getting for being a dick it's kinda of interesting. Like that pregnant woman in Gilded Vale. I told her to stop being a weak bitch but the result didn't really feel like i was just being gratuitously evil. It was an harsh thing to say but it still made me feel like i was trying to help her. I then noticed there were basically two ways i could agree to her quest, one of which was very sugar coated and i assume that was the benevolent option.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wild Orlans are better for Rogues.

Is their racial better than the hit to crit thing?

I already bumped resolve to make the rogue less squishy (planning also to keep a bashing shield on the second weapon slot).

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, can you just kill off those custom adventurers? Or once you make one it is forever.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You can kill them. If their health drops to 0, they are dead forever. That goes for the PC and the companions too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom