Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OMG COUNTDOWN TO SUPER AWESOME F03 TRAILAR

DarkSign

Erudite
Some notable comments from other forums:

1) the gun looks either steampunkish or just thrown together. It definitely looks piecemeal, but isnt that some sort of metal tubing running along the top? Some say it cant be a flamethrower but idk...

2) textures look low resolution. I dont agree with this one. I think it's washed out for the purposes of achieving a worn style. This is idea is propping up a few people's hopes that it wont be first person. I still disagree but who am I?

3) Radiation King shouldnt be on a radio since it was a joke about a television from the Simpsons. Fair enough. Since this detail was obviously mused over, does this mean they're simply trying to put the least amount of work into being creative? I wouldnt go that far, but yeah its a possibility.

OverrideB1

Scholar
Watched the trailer and am not impressed. Not simply because it's Bethesda doing this but because the trailer fails at a fundamental level.

It's devoid of gameplay content. Okay, that's to be expected since we're over a year away from launch-date. On the other hand, we're only just over a year away from launch-date so you'd expect Bethesda to have some gameplay down. So, it's either totally unusable/unsuitable for public viewing or -- for whatever reason -- they don't want to show it. If the latter, you have to ask "why?" If the former, you have to wonder just how set in stone that Fall '08 date is.

Nice visuals. No, really. Bethesda doing what they do well -- making pretty pictures. But in the absence of any gameplay demonstration, it's simply that: pretty pictures that are meaningless. If I were new to the FO franchise, what would I take away from that trailer? To be honest, not an awful lot: some futuristic post-apocalyptic terminator type scenario. There's nothing that even hints at the background story.

I showed the trailer to a friend who has never played FO. His reaction was that it was obviously the far future and probably had something to do with either Terminator or Warhammer 40K.

Hopefully future trailers will have fewer pretty pictures and a bit more meat to them. Nice choice of music though...

Fez

Erudite
If you look at the HD version then you can see the angles on the models and the textures aren't so good, especially considering this is a pre-rendered mock up. They don't need to worry about performance in those cases. Not sure what to make of it but it isn't very good. I also don't like the heavily washed out effect.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Black said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teaser_trailer

-.-

Problem is i see this one has only 5 seconds of relevant animation , wich is towards the end when you see the background and the PA dude , tbh this could have been done in 1 day in 3d studio max at a CGtalk speed challenge.

Mech

Cipher
Fez said:
If you look at the HD version then you can see the angles on the models and the textures aren't so good, especially considering this is a pre-rendered mock up. They don't need to worry about performance in those cases. Not sure what to make of it but it isn't very good. I also don't like the heavily washed out effect.

Stop being a graphics whore.

Pegultagol

Erudite
I'm quite enthused about the teaser, it was quite well put together for a sneak peek. I really did not expect any in game footage as it was only the introductory piece of promotion, and to get the hype machine rolling leading up to its release. I kinda got the impression that Bethesda decided on 'Fall 2008' based on how they could segue the transition from 'Fallout 3' title shot, but that is just too silly. The trailer got my interest piqued and wonder what they have in store for us?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
does this mean they're simply trying to put the least amount of work into being creative? I wouldnt go that far, but yeah its a possibility.

Their choice of opening song reeks of least amount of work.

Fez

Erudite
Wow. You sure showed everyone. The lack of content has already been pointed out many times before.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Fez said:
Wow. You sure showed everyone. The lack of content has already been pointed out many times before.

Hey man, I'm just jumping on the contentless teaser bandwagon here. Cut me some slack, Jack.

Saxon1974

Prophet
I liked it from what was shown...

My question is gonna be;

Am I going to have to get a new PC or upgrade my graphics card again as I had to do for Oblivion.

Does anyone know yet if they are using the Oblivion engine and if so, I assume if I can play Oblivion I will be able to play this?

I cant help it, it did get me excited, but I will temper my excitement until I see some more on gameplay. Im going to have a real hard time with the real time combat.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Saxon1974 said:

My question is gonna be;

Am I going to have to get a new PC or upgrade my graphics card again as I had to do for Oblivion.

Does anyone know yet if they are using the Oblivion engine and if so, I assume if I can play Oblivion I will be able to play this?

I cant help it, it did get me excited, but I will temper my excitement until I see some more on gameplay. Im going to have a real hard time with the Real

Oops, meant to say Real time combat.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can edit your post, you know.

And yes, Fallout 3 is using the Oblivion engine, so you can probably run it.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Rohit_N said:
You can edit your post, you know.

And yes, Fallout 3 is using the Oblivion engine, so you can probably run it.

Just realized that, oh well already created the 2nd, dont see a delete option.

I like the washed out look in the trailer, I think it creates a dark and gritty atmosphere.

Data4

Arcane
stargelman said:
Well. What can I say about it? Not much! It's like a concept art movie or something. You don't see any gameplay or anything that could tell you what this game will play like, so...It did have the right intro music, and the Perlman, but that's minor details to me.

Data4 said:
Cue title, which blends into Fall 2008 (so we know the game will be out sometime in the spring of '09)
You fail. Fall = Autumn. Third quarter of 2008. And how much that date can be trusted at this point...

No, actually you fail. That was pure, unadulterated sarcasm (which ties into the bolded words above) drawn from Oblivion's initial release date vs. it's actual release date. You're usually a pretty bright guy. I'm surprised that slipped past you.

-D4

franc kaos

Liturgist
Saxon1974 said:

My question is gonna be;

I cant help it, it did get me excited, but I will temper my excitement until I see some more on gameplay. Im going to have a real hard time with the real time combat.
Vista/DX10 only - Microsoft Games for Windows brand (2 years away from completion), and it'll run like shit on an Nvidia 8800 GTX (and Radeon equivalent), and anything less than a quad core processor, tho' rest uassured, it'll be so badly optimised it'll run like shit on them too - mile after mile of glorious desert bloom with shrub and building popup every few metres, they might implement soft shadows.

They should have used Crytek's engine with a couple of stats thrown on top.

I did like the teaser, song sent a chill thru' me. Reminded me of Terminator: Rampage (a quite good shoot 'em up by Bethesda Softworks, circa '93).

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Any one else really annoyed by the cinematic uptick with the music after showing the leveled city and before the BoS soldier? It sounded like something out of Star Wars.

That, and the ending segment (with the PA suit) seamed to advertise a conflict involving people in PA fighting a high tech battle for the ruined city. This strikes me as a departure from the Post Apocalyptic motif which is how over reliance on unsustanable technology result in the loss of said technology.

Otherwise, I liked the clip right up to the point where the Soule music played.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Greatatlantic said:
Any one else really annoyed by the cinematic uptick with the music after showing the leveled city and before the BoS soldier? It sounded like something out of Star Wars.
sounds like it even includes darth vader breathing...

That, and the ending segment (with the PA suit) seamed to advertise a conflict involving people in PA fighting a high tech battle for the ruined city.
the only thing it seemed to imply to me was that there is a small chance that this time bos are teh evil guyz.

Andrej

Liturgist
I was positively surprised. A lot better than I expected it to be and the thought of Ron returning to actually do the old intro made me sit through the intros of both Fallout games - shivering with perverse pleasure.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Andrej said:
I was positively surprised. A lot better than I expected it to be and the thought of Ron returning to actually do the old intro made me sit through the intros of both Fallout games - shivering with perverse pleasure.

Yeah, I caught the F1 intro on youtube a few days back and it also made me shiver. Spooky when that happens... all the memories, experiences and emotions of playing such a great game all flooding the synapses at once.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
For a teaser, it did the job. My only complaint is the camera move was a bit too quick for my liking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom