Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

More Mass Effect entertainment

Pussycat669

Liturgist
I might not be next-gen but :D

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"There is no way that you can take full control over your party members in an RPG. What's next? Adjustable stats and swappable weapons? Yeah, right."

Don't blame the game for stupid previews. Blame the previewers. That makes you *almost* as dumb them.

"After all it IS a 3rd person shooter"

No, it isn't. It's an Action RPG.

"Ass Effect is gonna be a shitty RPG!"

Maybe Ass Effect will be; Mass Effect will be a great Action RPG. it will have multiple solutions to qests, gives the player freedom to go where they want, multiple endings, variant interactions with both party members, and non party members, various skills thatd etermine success or fialure in doing things.

Game over, DUMMIES, game over.

P.S. Sinced when is a game that has sold, at minimum, 600k copies considered a 'cult classic'? R00fles!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:
P.S. Sinced when is a game that has sold, at minimum, 600k copies considered a 'cult classic'? R00fles!

Classics are not defined by sale numbers.

Oblivion will never be a cult classic, while Daggerfall is.
Go figure.

peak

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Ass Effect is gonna be a shitty RPG!"

Maybe Ass Effect will be; Mass Effect will be a great Action RPG. it will have multiple solutions to qests, gives the player freedom to go where they want, multiple endings, variant interactions with both party members, and non party members, various skills thatd etermine success or fialure in doing things.

Game over, DUMMIES, game over.

Yeah, because Biowares earlier action RPG whas that good. Oh wait a minute, it wasn't. It sucked balls on all levels, and most of the sucking at the action-level. But hey, I'm one of those who actually expects to be entertained by the action aspect of an action game, so I'm obviously the wrong person to rate them.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Volourn, I do not disagree. I think it might very well be a decent or even great action RPG. Just not a great RPG. See the distinction? Action RPG != RPG.

But maybe I am just too pessimistic - and you can't blame me... not many really great RPGs have been released lately, have they?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
"There is no way that you can take full control over your party members in an RPG. What's next? Adjustable stats and swappable weapons? Yeah, right."

Don't blame the game for stupid previews. Blame the previewers. That makes you *almost* as dumb them.
When did I blame the game? It's an old Codex tradition to make fun of morons who (p)review games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"When did I blame the game? It's an old Codex tradition to make fun of morons who (p)review games."

You didn't diretcly; but 'more mass effect entertainment' is a silly title that hints at dumbness witht eh gaem itself. It should be more 'previewer dumbness' or some other title. No biggy though.

"Classics are not defined by sale numbers."

Huh? I wans't pointing tiowards the classic part; but the cult part. Cult classic is definitely highly based on numbers. Cult implies small but vocal fanbase. Kinda like, say, Buffy.

"Oblivion will never be a cult classic, while Daggerfall is."

Daggerfall is not a cult classic. one could argue it's a classic (I think it sucks); but cult? i think not.

"Yeah, because Biowares earlier action RPG whas that good."

Bullshit. JE was/is an awesome Action RPG. Only a moron thinks otherwise.

"Volourn, I do not disagree. I think it might very well be a decent or even great action RPG. Just not a great RPG. See the distinction? Action RPG != RPG."

I know the disticntion. However, it's wrong to judge ME as a RPG; because it's not a RPG. It's an Action RPG. It seems silly to judge a game based on soemthing it's not even trying to be. It's like whining that Madden 2007 is a poor RPG; or that FO is an absolutely horrible sports game. It's illogical.

Of course, Action RPG is much closer so I can see the confusion. But, still, it's an Action RPG. Not an RPG, not an Action game, and most defionitely not a Shooter despite certain morons' montra.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Thanks for clearning that up. I see why VD doesn't ban you.
:honourblade:

peak

Scholar
Volourn said:
"Yeah, because Biowares earlier action RPG whas that good."

Bullshit. JE was/is an awesome Action RPG. Only a moron thinks otherwise.

Damn. You sure got me there.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
You didn't diretcly; but 'more mass effect entertainment' is a silly title that hints at dumbness witht eh gaem itself.
There are people who do something awesome with their lives like saving lives or collecting stickers. I learned to read and understand Volournese. Where did I go wrong?

Jasede said:
:honourblade:
:lol:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
JarlFrank said:
This line with the "wordy dialogue" made me feel amused and sad at the same time.
Calling story-providing text which is interesting to read and adds up a lot to NPC personality "wordy dialogue" is just too funny... especially since dialogue cannot exist without words and thus HAS to be wordy.
On the other hands it makes me sad... sad that re and previewers have lost all sense of good gameplay components. And that developers have lost it, too.

What about sign language and braille? Deaf people are people too!!1

LCJr.

Erudite
I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu. When will the enraged Bio fanboys be showing up?

Texas Red

Whiner
I never could have expected that Oblivion would be replaced so soon. But right now I definitely think that ME is the real Versus Christus of the gaming industry. At least Bethesda gave a PC version of Oblivion.

What is annoying is how every reviewer and a Gamespot/IGN/Gamespy retardo automatically assumes that Bioware will deliver the 8th Wonder. It is almost like they try to convince themselves that Bioware's game is better than anything else. I mean, look at the reviews of NWN 1 OC. Of course no doubt Biowhore sends a fat check for the ads. And what would be the point of an ad on the websites that gave low scores?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
aweigh said:
What about sign language and braille? Deaf people are people too!!1

I think you just provided the point which could make pleas to Bioware about subtitles successful.

But well, I guess they'll include subtitles anyways. If not, they would do such an enormous crime against the genre of RPGs that they would have to be killed.
Who's with me? I'll take their boss down with a sniper rifle.

LCJr.

Erudite
Dgaider said:
LCJr. said:
When will the enraged Bio fanboys be showing up?
I suspect they are hesitant to interrupt the circle jerk.

Well Mr. Gaider 12 hours without a single flame directed at you. Proof the Codex is dying perhaps?

The Walkin' Dude said:
I never could have expected that Oblivion would be replaced so soon. But right now I definitely think that ME is VD's next crusade.

fixed

Vault Dweller

Developer
LCJr. said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
I never could have expected that Oblivion would be replaced so soon. But right now I definitely think that ME is VD's next crusade.

fixed
Are there any games that I'm allowed to criticize without someone's claiming that it's a biased crusade fueled by blind hatred? Just curious.

LCJr.

Erudite
1. It's a console title. There's been rumors it'll be ported but nothing definate I've seen.

2. It's labelled by Bioware as an ARPG. I don't hold ARPG's to the same standard as I do a game calling itself a CRPG. ARPG's mostly semi-brainless killing. They're a nice diversion every once in awhile but that's about it.

3. You constant ragging on Oblivion accomplished what exactly? I bet Bethseda was laughing at the Codex all the way to the bank. This is all I see that the bitching accomplished. That and the good posters that quit coming here.

4. Go and finish your game and get good sales. As the saying goes "Money talks and bullshit walks." You want to change the games industry show them that people are willing to spend their money on your idea of what an RPG should be. That they may notice.

Vault Dweller

Developer
LCJr. said:
1. It's a console title. There's been rumors it'll be ported but nothing definate I've seen.
Which is why we don't cover Mass Effect on the front page.

2. It's labelled by Bioware as an ARPG. I don't hold ARPG's to the same standard as I do a game calling itself a CRPG. ARPG's mostly semi-brainless killing. They're a nice diversion every once in awhile but that's about it.
And?

3. You constant ragging on Oblivion accomplished what exactly? I bet Bethseda was laughing at the Codex all the way to the bank.
Really? And I thought they will respect me and maybe even offer me a job since I sure showed them that I know a lot about RPGs.... *sigh*

This is all I see that the bitching accomplished. That and the good posters that quit coming here.
Is that a fact? Do you have their written statements and certificates of quality posting or are you just making shit up to support your own crusade against me?

4. Go and finish your game and get good sales. As the saying goes "Money talks and bullshit walks."
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for wasting your time with all the talking.

You want to change the games industry show them that people are willing to spend their money on your idea of what an RPG should be. That they may notice.
lol. Such a naivette. At BEST I can expect to sell 50,000 copies, if I'm very, very lucky. Most likely, we are talking about 4-5,000 copies. I'm sure my success will get everyone to drop everything and pay attention. "Hey, have you heard? VD's game sold 5,000 copies. Holy shit! We better cancel Mass Effect that will sell millions and go after that lucrative hardcore RPG market AS-fucking-P before VD gets them all!"

Btw, why do people invent crazy theories like "he wants to change the industry, he does" or "he's making a point" or "he's trying to prove something". I'm just trying to make a game that I would enjoy playing. That's all. If I succeed, and others (indie developers) will follow, it's a bonus.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
LCJr. said:
4. Go and finish your game and get good sales. As the saying goes "Money talks and bullshit walks." You want to change the games industry show them that people are willing to spend their money on your idea of what an RPG should be. That they may notice.

I would, if I had the budget.
Give me a few millions, and I will make an RPG which has amazing graphics and physics engine to get some attention in the mainstream, and then I will make a great story, lots of choice and consequence and everything else a good RPG needs.
The graphics will make lots of sales in the mainstream area, and the gameplay will hopefully show the people who bought it how a good RPG shall look like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom