Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
More: imagine Mechajammer as it is now but with such a save system the devs once envisionned. I'm certain that game could have been actually impossible to finish. You acquire an essential key, then while you make your way to the door it unlocks—on the opposite side of the city, so it takes a couple of minutes during which the game overwrites your save—the key disappears from your inventory. Bricked playthrough.
So you're saying it would've been the most Codexian game ever made.
You're kidding, but

I'm not kidding. Imagine playing a tabletop RPG run by a random disgruntled Codexer, like SDG after he's learned that you're a tranny and not going to have sex with him, or PedoMarine in any thread ever.

Yeah, the door's unlocked. Somewhere.
Also, you seem to have dropped the key. Figure it out. :smug: :smug:
cringe.png
rating_butthurt.png
issues.png
cuck.png
:hahano:
What're you going to do about it, bitch?
codex_copium.png

RetardedDancingDonut.gif
RetardedDancingDonut.gif
RetardedDancingDonut.gif

Dhaze

Cipher
"Also, you seem to have dropped the key. Figure it out."

Man, I knew a wannabe-DM who would pull exactly that kind of thing, and in a really smug shitty way, too. Textbook DM who only wants his players to suffer every step of the way, then wonders why people don't come back to his table.

Saduj

Arcane
When I was a kid I played through every RPG without reloading (aside of course for when I died), because it simply made sense to do so. For me, they were great adventures, and I didn't even realise I could simply reload after every minute failure. And as it makes for extremely memorable moments, to this day I still play this way, only reloading when I've actually died.
I was thinking more along the lines of being able to save before exploring a new area. IMO, it is a pain the ass to get around the map in this game, even with the ferries. And in some places, the maps are designed to prevent you from retreating/backtracking. Very easy to unexpectedly find yourself in a situation where you are not prepared to take on whatever you've stumbled upon. It doesn't have to be tough enemies either. It can just be that you can't backtrack and you have to kill hundreds of enemies in order to leave an area and you simply don't have the ammo. It is also easy to wander through a backdoor to a faction base without having any way of knowing that this is what you are doing, making that faction hostile when they see you trespassing.

Dying because you bit off more than you can chew at the moment should be part of the game. Punishing exploration by making the player lose progress and sending them back to the other side of the map should not be part of the game, IMO. Before I jump a vehicle into a new area or jump down a ledge I can't climb, I want to be able to save because the game should not needlessly waste my time. Given every other design decision in this game, I would not trust the developers to allocate and place save points in such a way as to minimize the inconvenience of an unnecessarily limited save system. In a game like this one, the only difference between saving and reloading where I choose or where the last checkpoint was is wasted time.

Saduj

Arcane
Cheaters don't like when they're correctly called out as cheaters
iu

Keep on attacking them Rusty, don't give up.
You don't think the ability to rewind time and undo any mistake you made is a cheat?
Given that the character died and not the person actually playing the game, the player is going to be able to "undo" the mistake no matter what. Reload, reload at a checkpoint, start over - the player is still alive and playing the game again despite having died previously. And worse yet, the meta knowledge is still there. The player who started over not only knows what is coming, but has a better designed character the second time around, undoing any character building mistakes made the first time around *gasp*. Where he excelled previously, he's going to do the same thing (repetition is fun!) and where there were non-lethal failures he's going to use meta knowledge to achieve a better result - undoing all mistakes he previously decided to live with (max cheating!)..... The only other difference is how much time is wasted replaying content to get back to the same spot before disarming the fucking trap. It is all "rewinding time" and just a matter of degree.

Of course, some truly hardcore developer could implement the ultimate Rusty save system: "You're dead, your game files are now being corrupted. Not that it matters much because the developer has been notified and a contract killer will be dispatched to your location as soon as feasible. What did you think, we were going to let you cheat?"

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
I was thinking more along the lines of being able to save before exploring a new area. [...]

Oh okay, now I see what you mean—and I fully agree. I'm sure I would not have completed a Mechajammer in which the player is forced to compose with savepoints enforced by the devs, as it would be a truly miserable experience.

Indeed wandering into a faction base without knowing it is something that especially annoyed me; their name escapes me at the moment, but two factions turned hostile against me because of that. With the way the city as a whole is designed, with the majority of buildings looking so similar to one another, and with the visual identity of enemies and passersby often being muddy at best, even if you're being attentive and careful it can be very difficult to distinguish a small part of some faction's base from just another inconsequential hovel.

On that point in particular I think I get what they were going for: a game world in which things are not communicated to the player via big flashing red lights somewhere in the UI. But the gameplay options and the multitude of details necessary for a more subtle approach to design are simply not there.

In the end the game really is a conflux of good ideas and (mostly) terrible execution.

ArchAngel

Arcane
"Also, you seem to have dropped the key. Figure it out."

Man, I knew a wannabe-DM who would pull exactly that kind of thing, and in a really smug shitty way, too. Textbook DM who only wants his players to suffer every step of the way, then wonders why people don't come back to his table.
Most DMs want to run Schindler's List games (where players are jews) , most players want to play Fast&Furious games where everyone is the Rock. They try to meet somewhere in the middle

Camel

Scholar
Steam reviews are demolishing the game. :negative:
Man, this game looked super cool and I REALLY wanted to like it, but the bugs and difficulty basically make it next to unplayable right now.

Tried going through the tutorial twice, got soft-locked in combat on the first attempt, then on the second, my robot buddies with guns all decided to just freeze up and stop working as combat started, and I got swarmed and killed by the enemies. Well screw it, I'll just start the game proper and roll a character.

Did something like Trooper/Recon for my careers and took PTSD and Exhausted for my disadvantages. After the opening scene, exhausted kicks in as soon as I take three steps and my character falls unconscious. Waiting doesn't work to advance the timer on the stun, so I'm basically stuck and have to reload. Next attempt, I'm able to explore a bit. I'm kind of just messing around with random stuff, checking out rooms, looting junk, etc., but then my dude shoots a signpost that I misclicked on. PTSD activates (from shooting an inanimate object?), so he panics and starts running around the whole map randomly, aggroing a swarm of teenage mutant murder weasels or something, which then just kill my character because PTSD never shuts off and gives a chance to actually fight back.

Not gonna refund because it's like 20 bucks and I wanna support my indie folks. Devs, this game looks cool as hell, but please fix the above shenanigans so I can actually play the damn thing.

Skorpion

Educated
Steam reviews are demolishing the game. :negative:
Man, this game looked super cool and I REALLY wanted to like it, but the bugs and difficulty basically make it next to unplayable right now.

Tried going through the tutorial twice, got soft-locked in combat on the first attempt, then on the second, my robot buddies with guns all decided to just freeze up and stop working as combat started, and I got swarmed and killed by the enemies. Well screw it, I'll just start the game proper and roll a character.

Did something like Trooper/Recon for my careers and took PTSD and Exhausted for my disadvantages. After the opening scene, exhausted kicks in as soon as I take three steps and my character falls unconscious. Waiting doesn't work to advance the timer on the stun, so I'm basically stuck and have to reload. Next attempt, I'm able to explore a bit. I'm kind of just messing around with random stuff, checking out rooms, looting junk, etc., but then my dude shoots a signpost that I misclicked on. PTSD activates (from shooting an inanimate object?), so he panics and starts running around the whole map randomly, aggroing a swarm of teenage mutant murder weasels or something, which then just kill my character because PTSD never shuts off and gives a chance to actually fight back.

Not gonna refund because it's like 20 bucks and I wanna support my indie folks. Devs, this game looks cool as hell, but please fix the above shenanigans so I can actually play the damn thing.
So the player recreated their own useless self in a game and was surprised they couldn't do anything, just like in real life.
Bugs or features at this point? :M

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

buffalo bill

Arcane
a sequel to SitS with turn-based combat, a more fleshed out world, and a better ending could be a good game. Hopefully they keep the gfx assets from the first game and don't monkey around with art changes for 5 years

Terra

Cipher
No one knows what happened to Hannah and Joe.
Hopefully they just moved on and got normal jobs instead
Rumors say that Hannah and Joe sold their apartment to finance their magnum opus, Serpent in the Staglands 2, and are now living in Hannah's mom's basement to make ends meet.
I hope they at least agreed on the artstyle.
I certainly hope not, given the amount of levity it brought this thread over the years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom