Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

DemonKing

Arcane
Played a bit further and the game is still horrible for a Pyric Cultist. I might as well have played a sword and board fighter because I had to "git good" against Crimson Rector Percival and learn how to parry effectively because my spell selection was hopeless.

sosmoflux

Educated
After hearing these concerns, my trust only being in the Japanese to make action games is yet again confirmed.
Nah, western studios can absolutely do fine action games. God of War trilogy is a testament to that its just that they must not shit themselves about the kind of game they are making. If they do know what they are making you get Darksiders, if they do not then you get DmC Donte. Simple as.
Yeah Spike you idiot
Western Devs can totally make action games
Look at these 20 years old games see
Nothing has changed at all since then

DemonKing

Arcane
Swapped over to Radiant spells as I'm sick of Fire spells sucking and I killed the Ruiner boss first time I faced him. I'm beginning to think the designers viewed Pyric Cultist as a NG+ character class...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Swapped over to Radiant spells as I'm sick of Fire spells sucking and I killed the Ruiner boss first time I faced him. I'm beginning to think the designers viewed Pyric Cultist as a NG+ character class...
It's like Dark Souls, if you pick sorcerer you go through half the game just pew pewing the soul arrow. They definitely could've give the player a few things earlier, most spells are concentrated in the last 40% of the game.

But you can get the fireball, conflagration and Adyr's rage very early which are all great.

Spike

Educated
After hearing these concerns, my trust only being in the Japanese to make action games is yet again confirmed.
Nah, western studios can absolutely do fine action games. God of War trilogy is a testament to that its just that they must not shit themselves about the kind of game they are making. If they do know what they are making you get Darksiders, if they do not then you get DmC Donte. Simple as.
Yeah Spike you idiot
Western Devs can totally make action games
Look at these 20 years old games see
Nothing has changed at all since then
;) Always thought God of War original trilogy was just "fine". It never soars to the mechanic complexity of DMC. It isn't as fun as Shadow of Rome, even. Same with Darksiders. The Japanese contemporary action games of these games' respective eras are clearly superior, and nothing has changed here. Heck, Dragon's Dogma combat is superior to God of War. Lol. I am sitting here just struggling to think of a western action game that stands out and they are all literally Japanese. Ninjer Gaiden, Godhand, even obscure titles like Crimson Sea...Japs are the king of combat mechanics and hitboxes even to this day.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I am sitting here just struggling to think of a western action game that stands out and they are all literally Japanese.
Mostly agreed, tho depends on the era and how you define "an action game".

In the 1990s Western studios were more than capable of producing great action, however broadly defined. After all first person shooters are a western invention, arguably the ultimate form of an action game. Also Mortal Kombat is American, the Bitmap Brothers action is legendary (Gods, Xenon, Speedball) and tons and tons more.

But then Western devs mass-transitioned towards story and simulation and hybrids like action RPGs or action strategies, as if simple action was suddenly not good enough, while the Japs stuck with the formula and kept refining it.

Spike

Educated
I am sitting here just struggling to think of a western action game that stands out and they are all literally Japanese.
Mostly agreed, tho depends on the era and how you define "an action game".

In the 1990s Western studios were more than capable of producing great action, however broadly defined. After all first person shooters are a western invention, arguably the ultimate form of an action game. Also Mortal Kombat is American, the Bitmap Brothers action is legendary (Gods, Xenon, Speedball) and tons and tons more.

But then Western devs mass-transitioned towards story and simulation and hybrids like action RPGs or action strategies, as if simple action was suddenly not good enough, while the Japs stuck with the formula and kept refining it.
Yeah, I mean combat-heavy melee action games a la DMC, Ninja Gaydar, Urban Reign, assorted 3D beat em ups and the like. I suppose my criticism is constrained to the year 2000 AD to present day but it's still a ludicrously long time to stay on top. And yes, largely for reasons you pointed out. Also mass casualization hitting the west probably worse than eastern europe or Japan.

biffthestiff

Educated

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I watched a gameplay video of this game and it made me never want to try this game. Generic grimdark, but most importantly, the running animation is just so awful for someone decked in full armor, I mean look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkThIZL-7VU&t=1m50s.

Also listen to the designated Lords player (since Youtube kept showing him in my search results) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CovQM3HwsM a voice made for the telegram.

Running animation? Meh.

Now if you were to bitch about the oversized WoW swords, I'd say you had the start of a proper nitpick, but... eh.

DemonKing

Arcane
But you can get the fireball, conflagration and Adyr's rage very early which are all great.
Rage is pretty useful and fireball was early on, but a lot of the bosses I'm running into have fire resistance or heal themselves which makes fireball/conflagration less handy.

Saying that I killed the Infernal Enchantress last night so I'm starting to make progress again after hitting a bit of a brick wall. Hopefully I can find some more Pyric spells soon.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Rage is pretty useful and fireball was early on, but a lot of the bosses I'm running into have fire resistance or heal themselves which makes fireball/conflagration less handy.

Saying that I killed the Infernal Enchantress last night so I'm starting to make progress again after hitting a bit of a brick wall. Hopefully I can find some more Pyric spells soon.
This game is not really meant to be played as a pure pew-pewer, the spells themselves are powerful but mana replenishing is kindda expensive until late game. You're really expected to schwung your schword or oonba boonga your way through and use pew-pew spells rather sparingly.

To that effect I wholeheartedly recommend the Bloodlust sword, one of the best weapons for INF builds that you can get p. early, as soon as you get to the Fitzroy's Gorge. You can sword&board it or dual wield with the Raw Mangler Axe that should drop p. often from the short axe dudes.

Alternatively get the Fallen Lord's Sword in the Lower Calrath (the area you kill your first fire enchantress). With these weapons you're now one of the strongest builds in the game. And as soon as you kill Spurned Progeny you can buy the most OP spell in the game Seismic Slam and you're set for life.

Ravielsk

Magister
;) Always thought God of War original trilogy was just "fine". It never soars to the mechanic complexity of DMC. It isn't as fun as Shadow of Rome, even. Same with Darksiders. The Japanese contemporary action games of these games' respective eras are clearly superior, and nothing has changed here. Heck, Dragon's Dogma combat is superior to God of War. Lol. I am sitting here just struggling to think of a western action game that stands out and they are all literally Japanese. Ninjer Gaiden, Godhand, even obscure titles like Crimson Sea...Japs are the king of combat mechanics and hitboxes even to this day.
I never said the make the best actions games. Just that they can make "fine" action games. As in they are fine but not exceptional. Problem is western devs often choose not to make a good action game because they are shitting themselves about the type of game they are making by either mischaracterizing the whole genre as being exclusively for drooling retards(Donte DmC) or only treating it as a vehicle to deliver their Koreanesque melodrama ala Soy of War.

Its really a kind of universal problem with the western industry where most devs blatantly do not comprehend genre as a concept which as a consequence makes it impossible for them to even envision a good game because how can you make something when you cannot even define how that something differentiates from everything else around it? The answer is you cannot and in the best case scenario you end up making a Bolywood style parody and even that would be more by accident than by design.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

This is not entirely accurate. Western gaming culture STARTED with gaming being seen as a means to explore computing possibilities, mostly because in the west gaming was very closely correlated with IT culture. Look at Spacewar!, by Steve Russell, a game that was very much about showing what could be accomplished with computing technology, an idea that stuck with western developers for a long, long time. By the 70s, most of the genres we associate with western computer games, RPGs, strategy, adventures, simlators, they were all already being created, mostly by IT students who created then played those games through their university mainframes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_(computer_system)

Hell, they were even running multiplayer games since those mainframes already had internet (ARPANET as it was called then) capability back then.

The first DnD video game came out the same years as DnD itself:

They even had multiplayer first person shooters:

This is not to say that western developers are incapable of creating good action games in principle (or conversely, that the Japanese cannot create anything other than arcade games), but the general mindset of western devs was for a long time centered on the idea gaming was about experimentation, of discovering what could be done with computing technology.

Japan by contrast have had their conception of what a video game is completely reshaped by the release and subsequent success of the Atari in their country, to the point for them a video game is essentially synonimous with arcade. While the IT culture of the 70s continued to have an influence on western developers for several decades, Japanese developers focused all their energies to the arcade genre because Japanese companies demanded it. When Space Invaders broke through every capable developer or programmer in Japan was hired exclusively to try to make similarly commercially successful arcade games.

So there's no surprise the Japanese have such a talent for making action games. They literally had decades and decades of practice doing nothing but that. This is why i believe that the advent of multiplatform development was a death knell for western gaming because it killed the IT gaming culture that had dominated western gaming even as late as the 90s or early 2000s. Most of the genres western devs were accastumed to don't function well on consoles and there's not much room for innovation or experimentation when you are locked into a specific system and way of doing things as consoles tend to be. All the genres western developers had mastered don't play well on consoles. All that works on consoles is pure action games, the kind the Japanese have had a complete monopoly over for decades.

Keep in mind that by "console" i don't mean just the machine itself but also the whole corporate culture around them. We had consoles in the 80s and 90s as well but most of them were still playing by the rules of the IT gaming culture that eventually coalesced into the PC platform and became synonimous with it.

cruel

Cipher
Another patch released, this time bumping boss difficulty by increasing HP and damage output:

New Patch details

I'm almost done with Lies of P and probably will play this next, but I'm wondering if they will stop changing the game any time this year.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm almost done with Lies of P and probably will play this next, but I'm wondering if they will stop changing the game any time this year.
Apparently LoP just got a major balancing patch too.

IMHO you can jump in if you don't insist on playing online. With the planned split PvE/PvP balancing there shouldn't be any major rejiggling of the gear and spells anymore and the performance seems to be stable now. The only problem is PvP, with unfathomable matchmaking and broken builds, but you only need to switch multiplayer off in the options and you're golden.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Another patch released, this time bumping boss difficulty by increasing HP and damage output:

New Patch details

I don't understand what is happening.

Some codexers assured me that the game is perfect and 16 patches later here we are.

By next year this will be a completly new game :smug:

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Oh wow, 10-20% health and damage increases to bosses that's just what this game needed. It's like they ticked the difficulty slider up a few notches in the Oblivion option menu. It's gonna be real confusing for people to discuss the game as time goes on because everyone played a different version of it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh wow, 10-20% health and damage increases to bosses that's just what this game needed. It's like they ticked the difficulty slider up a few notches in the Oblivion option menu. It's gonna be real confusing for people to discuss the game as time goes on because everyone played a different version of it.

These devs are completly retarded.

The game is not worthy of playing for the sole reason that they put doors on elevators.

:troll:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just got it. Pretty cool intro, pumped to play.

I then crashed while navigating the menu, I'll turn off Rivatuner per the warning...

Jinn

Arcane
Jinn between this and Lies of PI, if i can only get one for year end holiday which one would you recommend?
Depends on what you prefer the most in this genre, really. If you like playing around with different builds, having a plethora of equipment and spells to choose from, and more interesting and labyrinthine level design, then I'd go with this. If you're more into super challenging boss fights, more focused, weapon-based character progression, more to-the-point level design that's still fairly well done, and a more unique setting, then Lies of P would be the better choice.

For myself, Lords wins out by a little bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom