Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

Israfael

Arcane
First few hours I was observing the scenery more than I played. There are amazing vistas and locations.
Well, tell me then which locations are on par with the ones I've mentioned. It's all drab brown and in the frist few hours the only non-brown thing you see is pieta wings and her clones in p2. This game lacks artistic direction for sure.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
First few hours I was observing the scenery more than I played. There are amazing vistas and locations.
Well, tell me then which locations are on par with the ones I've mentioned. It's all drab brown and in the frist few hours the only non-brown thing you see is pieta wings and her clones in p2. This game lacks artistic direction for sure.

player-standing-next-to-the-altar-that-has-the-rune-of-adyr-lords-of-the-fallen.png

81253b70430b3c9fe374636f1821a5cd8646fc18.jpg

download.jpeg

download (1).jpeg

download (2).jpeg

download (3).jpeg

download (6).jpeg

download (7).jpeg

download (8).jpeg

Attachments

• player-standing-next-to-the-altar-that-has-the-rune-of-adyr-lords-of-the-fallen.webp
    128.8 KB · Views: 61
  • download (4).jpeg
    download (4).jpeg
    560.5 KB · Views: 33
  • download (5).jpeg
    download (5).jpeg
    695.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Israfael

Arcane
Abbey looks okay, yes, but you get there in like the end of the game, not first hours. Everyting else is either brown shit (no offense) or just single 'art installations' (with generic gothic vibe), not whole zones, or just foreground backdrops. Also, why everything is so noisy and there's some sort of post-fx on some screenshots?

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

View attachment 43170

View attachment 43159

View attachment 43160

View attachment 43161

View attachment 43162

View attachment 43163

View attachment 43166

View attachment 43167

View attachment 43168
Those are bullshots. Are you retarded?

abija

Prophet
It's not wierd salt at all. It's their second try on a souls clone. They're supposed to have figured shit by now. Everything should be at the quality of the level design. The systems directly taken from souls games should be pristine.

He mentions people complain about roll being too long as if they are insane nitpickers. It's not even close to that, people complain because familiar actions have wierd ass results. They're' close to a monster, roll forward during some ability and the roll is so long (and follows the locked up camera for some reason) that they go around the mob and back close in it's ass instead of safe on the other side. Then they complain ... not because it's a minor difference and they try to nitpick, but because it's a huge one.

Plus, you can't forget about new players. I doubt ANY of souls games do not have people complaining about shit when playing them first time. Some stuff is akward and lotf introduced even more with the lamp mechanic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's not wierd salt at all. It's their second try on a souls clone. They're supposed to have figured shit by now.
I don't know bro, if the most serious problem you can list is the jump is too long it kindda does feel like nitpicking don't you think.

All the actual major problems - co-op, PvE/PvP balancing, performance, economy - would've been solved not by taking page from FS book but by having the game ripen in Early Access for a few months. That was their biggest mistake by far.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah there's certainly been some weird salt around the game, often from those who never played it, hasn't it? :lol:

For your information, he is a known shill and he was sponsored by hexworks which means that only a retard would trust his opinion is 100% valid unlike for example the opinion of a speedrunner which already put 1k+ hours into the game and still hates it.

abija

Prophet
I don't know bro, if the most serious problem you can list is the jump is too long it kindda does feel like nitpicking don't you think.
Are you deliberately trying to argue in circles? It's the example the guy in your video gave several seconds from your timestamp. Where did I say it is the biggest problem with the game? Was just and example of how he handwaives as nitpicking legitimate concerns.

Wth is actually wrong with you that you take any criticism against this game as if someone hates it or wants it to fail?

Ravielsk

Magister
So why exactly do you complain she's too hard, that the player needs levels and gear?
Because I am a guy who has kept up with Souls games and their mechanics since the start. For me understanding them and beating Pieta is just a matter of experimenting a bit with the timing. But a person who is either new or does not keep up to date with everything From software has to do all this learning from scratch and Lords of the fallen simply does not give new players enough room to actually do that learning.

To put it into perspective the gap between Pieta and the regular enemies the player encounters before her is equivalent to as if From Software switched the Taurus Demon with the Iron Golem. It too much of a jump for a new player and for veterans it just jarring.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Wth is actually wrong with you that you take any criticism against this game as if someone hates it or wants it to fail?
Any criticism? Are you even reading my posts? I give plenty of criticism, that's p. plain to see.

If you give absurd criticism like the game is ugly or lacks artistic direction then yes, imma push back. That, I daresay, is normal.

Israfael

Arcane
If you give absurd criticism like the game is ugly or lacks artistic direction then yes, imma push back.
So far you've posted a bunch of very bland and postprocessed screenshots that don't refute my point a bit. In any case it's a matter of personal preference, if you like bland and generic stuff, it's okay, some people like silicon lips or extreme amount of cologne, whether others don't. Jump criticism is actually an objectively valid complaint, it's very annoying to die because of how clunky whole control system is, which is probably worse if you play with KBM (like I did) instead of controller (can't compare so I won't say for sure).

jaekl

Learned
Patron
So last weekend I played demon's souls for a bit at a buddy's house and then I busted out the old ps3 that I had in the closet and played through the whole game and it was extremely enjoyable. For instance, I actually got hit by ambushers sometimes in demon's souls because not every single corner had an ambush. And in that same vein, sometimes I was overly cautious for no reason because there wasn't an ambush after all. Oh, and winning fights against enemies with footwork and spacing since everyone isn't scooting forward as if on ice. Anyways, the point is that after playing demon's souls and being reminded of the quality that I deserve in a game, the thought of continuing to play this began to make me nauseated.

I made it to the burning city area before I got seduced by demon's souls. I give it :3/5: - definitely not worth over $100 after tax. I actually think that I prefer the original lords of the fallen. At least it didn't have the stupid ass lantern with the Dark Seed overlay wasting your patience away at every opportunity.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
This game made me appreciate the sheer level of effort and dedication by FromSoftware, giving each level of the game a unique look, and a set of unique enemies that rarely if ever appear outside of that level. And their games have many, many levels.

Lurds of the Fallopian Tube is so stingy with its assets, it's pathetic. The latter half of the game is an un-navigable mess, because everything looks exactly the same, every shortcut you open makes you more and more confused, and it's just the same knights/snake archers/generic zombies/skulldogs, plus a very limited cast of Umbral enemies (faceless zombies/moth guys/marilyn manson backstage dancers/shades/gollums).

They couldn't even afford to create a unique monster for the "you've spent too long in Umbral and now a nigh-unstoppable enemy is after you" phase. They just reskinned the regular shade, making it look uglier (bright red? really? it's completely off-color compared to everything else in Umbral), and made it artificially difficult by auto-disabling your healing item, which is cheating.

Poor man's Dark Souls, except priced the same as real Dark Souls. Gives off a strong "we have Dark Souls at home" vibe.

5/10 at best

Ravielsk

Magister
Lurds of the Fallopian Tube is so stingy with its assets, it's pathetic. The latter half of the game is an un-navigable mess, because everything looks exactly the same, every shortcut you open makes you more and more confused, and it's just the same knights/snake archers/generic zombies/skulldogs, plus a very limited cast of Umbral enemies (faceless zombies/moth guys/marilyn manson backstage dancers/shades/gollums).
Honestly this is just the fallout of modern engines moving away from brush based level design to mesh based level design. When everything has to be its own separate model it becomes really difficult to not make everything look the same. It takes a S+ tier level designer to make locations look distinct with only a couple of premade meshes, especially when you are working on a tight schedule.

Think of it as LEGO but instead of having individual bricks to build whatever you want you get about 20 premade buildings. You can do a fair bit with the prebuilds but its always going to be less than what you can do with individual bricks.

Ravielsk

Magister
For instance, I actually got hit by ambushers sometimes in demon's souls because not every single corner had an ambush. And in that same vein, sometimes I was overly cautious for no reason because there wasn't an ambush after all. Oh, and winning fights against enemies with footwork and spacing since everyone isn't scooting forward as if on ice. Anyways, the point is that after playing demon's souls and being reminded of the quality that I deserve in a game, the thought of continuing to play this began to make me nauseated.
Honestly LotF just spams too much. It uses the exact same enemies for the exact same encounters in the exact same configuration way, way too much for its own good. The enemies themselves can be fine but when you have to clear the exact same mob group in what looks like the exact same level for the 50th time it just looses its magic.

Even the very first level uses about twice as many enemies with twice as much health for this style of combat system. Souls combat becomes insanely tedious with more than 3 enemies at any given time because by virtue of its stamina system you have to resort to tedious poking tactics when dealing with large groups. This is the sort of encounter design DMC or God of War(the original trilogy, not the soyboy ones) can have because you can just keep going and experimenting with you moveset. When you have to pause the combat every couple of hits to regenerate your stamina and your whole moveset is 3 prebaked animations it gets tiresome really quickly.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
When everything has to be its own separate model it becomes really difficult to not make everything look the same.
Everything doesn't look the same, have you even finished the game? Fuck me sideways with these takes.
It uses the exact same enemies for the exact same encounters in the exact same configuration way, way too much for its own good. The enemies themselves can be fine but when you have to clear the exact same mob group in what looks like the exact same level for the 50th time it just looses its magic.

Even the very first level uses about twice as many enemies with twice as much health for this style of combat system.
If you're trying to say game could use more enemy variety - i.e. more non human mobs - I completely agree. Shit does look a bit too much like Sekiro with Dark Souls combat.

But all that bitching about "muh too many enemies" is butthurt wankery. They pruned the game so much in some places it's embarrassingly easy now. Bitching about "muh enemy density" has only one reason - people have not been playing strategically, using their plentiful and OP ranged and AoE options and instead rushing everywhere stupidly, trying to brute force everything with their slow ass oonga boonga weapons, getting their anus whooped and then crying on forums about "artificial difficulty".

Ravielsk

Magister
Everything doesn't look the same, have you even finished the game? Fuck me sideways with these takes.
Individual levels? Yes, they do look different but the insides of those levels not so much.
people have not been playing strategically
Now you are just being deliberately retarded. Nobody expect from souls game to just rush in a slap everything into oblivion, that goes against the very principles of the genre. This is the "dudes in armor" DS2 problem all over again. You are deliberately ignoring the full complain to somehow run defense for the game. The issue with enemy spam is not that I have to carefully approach each encounter, the issue is that its the same encounter every time and the solution to that encounter is almost always the exact same tactic.
Its not that the encounters individually, on their own, in a vacuum are bad its that when you have to cleave through the exact same mob group every other minute or so it simply gets tiresome. Doubly so when you die to a endless pit or some other environmental hazard. There is a limit to how many times I can go through a mob of 3-5 close range melee(+ zombies if in the umbral realm) guys with some wizard peppering me from the backside before it becomes annoying.

That is the problem people are having but "the game uses too much of the exact same enemy composition" does not roll of the tongue quite so well as "mob spam". So logically the second phrase is used more because not everyone is willing to spell it out in such tedious detail.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Yeaaah, the problem with infinity ambushes isn't that I'm stumbling into ambushes all the time, it's that I know that every room is an ambush so I'm never actually going to get hit by an ambusher because I'm not retarded. It's insulting to our intelligence that they would put this many ambushes.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeaaah, the problem with infinity ambushes isn't that I'm stumbling into ambushes all the time, it's that I know that every room is an ambush so I'm never actually going to get hit by an ambusher because I'm not retarded. It's insulting to our intelligence that they would put this many ambushes.

That's true. The entire point of an ambush is the element of surprise and why it's effective in the first place.

I'd been thinking something similar about some of my non-stealth characters in CP2077. How their "ambushes" weren't so much stealth jumps, but just randomly grenading groups of guys and lighting them up. It's highly effective.

Spike

Educated
After hearing these concerns, my trust only being in the Japanese to make action games is yet again confirmed.

Ravielsk

Magister
After hearing these concerns, my trust only being in the Japanese to make action games is yet again confirmed.
Nah, western studios can absolutely do fine action games. God of War trilogy is a testament to that its just that they must not shit themselves about the kind of game they are making. If they do know what they are making you get Darksiders, if they do not then you get DmC Donte. Simple as.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom