Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
A new Virtua Fighter might be coming in 2026, and whether its released faithful to the original formula or as a dumbed down modern fighting game is yet a mystery, no matter what reassuring words the devs use.
But i am not waiting for Virtua Fighter, i am playing it.

I have never played a Virtua Fighter before, because i never had the chance. I only had a SEGA Megadrive/Genesis as a kid so Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were the only fighting game franchises i played at home.
I had friends that owned the latter consoles but they had either tekken or some kind of dragonball game. I don't recall seeing VF at the local arcades either. The only thing i knew was what i saw on the magazines, and as a kid i wasn't a fan of the VF 1 blocky graphics. I didn't even knew that the series went further than the 1st.

Anyways, since i got back to fighting games, i have been hearing tales of how good and deep the series were. I can't remember what DJOGamer PT said of the series but it was enough for me to think "thats it, i am getting into this series"

I got VF4 working on the fightcade, and have enjoyed the arcade mode against the CPU. Haven't bothered fighting a human player yet.
I also got VF5 for PC. The Yakuza games have this thing of inserting old SEGA games on the game world's arcades, so i looked it up and Yakuza 6 was discounted and had VF5. This version of VF5 is not a light version, but actually a full game.

I found this mod that allowed me to unlock all the mods of VF5. Its actually a xbox port, and stuff related to costumes and multiplayer don't work but so far the dojo and arcade modes have kept me occupied learning the game.
If any one is interested you can get the mod at https://cookieplmonster.github.io/mods/yakuza-6/#vf5fs-unlocker.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I also don't remember what I said lol

Also, buying a game to play the mini-game inside it :lol:
Why are Sega such morons?
There's no reason for at least the most recent entry of the series not to be PC right now

Anyway
Coming from Tekken, certaintly the one of the biggest differences you'll notice is how much more focus VF puts defense
In that regard they closer to Soul Calibur than Tekken
In fact, even within the series, the biggest change VF5 made compared to its predecessors is its greater emphasis on attack

What version of VF4 are you playing?
What's your favourite character so far?

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Also, buying a game to play the mini-game inside it :lol:
Why are Sega such morons?
I know right, it seems fairly easy to make a standalone version for PC.

Coming from Tekken, certaintly the one of the biggest differences you'll notice is how much more focus VF puts defense
Comming from Tekken i am amazed how much better side stepping works. Vf went for a more gamified option while tekken went for a simulation route that doesn't fit the rest of Tekken.

Vf also made me understand better the tekken approach. Bamco saw VF and thought that it lacked flair.
compared to its predecessors is its greater emphasis on attack
Vf seems to be very aggressive in a good way, something that T8 failed to do.
What version of VF4 are you playing?
Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned
What's your favourite character so far?
Vanessa Lewis. She is not the most beginner friendly, so i am trying to learn the defensive stance first.

I have also tried Wolf Hawkfield, for a little bit, and he felt very familiar because i played a lot of King.

Under than that i am playing with Lei Fei, which is a stupid thing to do as a beginner who also wants to learn Vanessa.
I am doing flowcharts of his stances for a quick reference during a match.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom