Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's learn about fighting games and get murdered together.

• Thread starter Generic-Giant-Spider
  • Start date

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
I hate myself for having bought Tekken 8.

This is the worst Tekken by far, imo. Excluding Tekken 1 and 2. Way too aggressive, heavily nerfed movement, HEAT unga bunga, and characters still look worse than Tekken 6.

Sunri

Liturgist

This is the worst Tekken by far, imo. Excluding Tekken 1 and 2. Way too aggressive, heavily nerfed movement, HEAT unga bunga, and characters still look worse than Tekken 6.
what? it looks great

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron

what? it looks great
Tekken 6 character aesthetics are better. They looked more unique, and more distinctive from each other. Tekken 7 is still the worst when it comes to that, but Tekken 8 still has the samey Korean doll face syndrome.

The weirdest thing about Tekken 8 visuals is they add that nice looking muscle feature, which is the most visually impressive thing about the game, and then they covered it all up.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm surprised it isn't:

Buy base game with nondescript general character (you can name him and that's about it). It has basic attacks but is weak tutorial bitch. Basic punch, basic kick, no special, maybe you can jump...Purchase DLC to power it up).

Main characters in franchise cost $$ per char to add to your account. They are the standard version of that character.

Purchase various DLC per character (which ranges from all sorts of crap).

Purchase Tournament pass to play VS online.

And whatever else they want to bilk and milk out of your pocketbook.

Whales would love it. They love spending money.

I’m a little surprised we haven’t really seen any fighting games with characters and character creation akin to AKI’s wrestling games and Def Jam Fight for NY. Something where you’ve just got a huge pool of different attacks to pick from, some standard stances, and everyone is just made up of those moves. Like No Mercy as over 70 characters and they don’t even use all the moves you can use in character creation. Although I could see SNK’s new Art of Fighting game working like this.

I think that was something Capcom fucked up on with World Tour Mode. They should’ve probably just used Dragon’s Dogma’s stance editor, or just come up with a handful of default stances, and they should’ve let the player edit Normals and Unique Attacks just like they do Specials and Supers. They should’ve also just thrown in move animation from Street Fighter 4, Street Fighter 5, and their Marvel vs Capcom games if they made sense.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

what? it looks great
I think this is the best looking Tekken, but i am not a fan of everyone being super huge on steroids. Specially characters like Law that would benefit of having a lean look like the real Bruce Lee who they are based on.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That's a broad order? Do brawlers help with fighting games to hone any muscle memory?

How to get good at fighting games in a month?

Just play the fighting game a bunch for a month. Play against people. And when you’re playing against the CPU, when it feels like it’s getting too easy, bump it up one and keep doing that until you’re playing the highest difficulty.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Hire a coach. Some eSports players make money on the side by coaching. It's not cheap but I've spent money on worse.

The first wall is basic execution: do the motions required for most moves to happen. The second wall is getting a feel for what moves to use when. The third wall is executing the most optimal solution to every situation.

For the first and third walls you have to spend time in Practice Mode. For the second and third walls you have to play other people, preferably ranked.

I've been stuck at the third wall for two decades xD

Tehdagah

Arcane
It a shame fighting games nowadays cost $150 ($60 of base game and $90 of DLC)

They should be free-to-play. Fighting games could be pulling in billions if they were F2P and reasonably priced. Very few people seem willing to do the buy in price of a fighting game. The best selling home release for a fighting game is Smash Bros. Ultimate. Nintendo announced last year that it’s sold over 32 million copies in around four and a half years. But nothing sells near that. The closest thing to Smash is Mortal Kombat, and that did 15 million is a little over three years. Everything else does less, and takes longer to do it.

But, MultiVersus had 20 million users in less than a month. That Ubisoft F2P platform fighter Brawlhalla that you never hear about... last year they announced 100 million players. I think the future of fighting games is a free to play model with much lower pricing points. This thing of going after whales, which make up an extremely low percentage of any games market, it’s fucking dumb.

Say Capcom release some new Marvel vs Capcom style fighting game tomorrow. 50 characters. MvC3 has 50 characters. It’s four vs four now...you need one more character than before. They say: We’re charging a dollar a character, you can unlock them by playing the game and getting points to unlock characters, but you can buy a character for a dollar. No sales or bundles either, just a simple low flat rate for everything. You play the game a bit, you want everyone right away, it’s $50. Basically the price of buying a new game, less even. Everyone also has 3 extra costumes right out of the gate. They’re .25¢. $37.50 for all 150 of them. Most people are probably going to think twice about spending $10 (or $5) on a digital costume in a video game, but they probably wouldn’t think twice about .25¢. A quarter is nothing. Ten bucks for one costume in a video game feels like a ripoff, ten buck for 40 costumes would seem like a deal to some people in comparison. If that game was able to get 20 million people playing it in under a month like MultiVersus did, and they were able to get just a quarter of those people to buy all the characters, and buy all the costumes, that’d be a more profitable game for Capcom (and in the first month) than MvC3 and Street Fighter 6. Something like over $100 million what Capcom made selling Street Fighter 6. If 95% of those 20 million people just bought ten characters, nothing else, that’d still be $190,000,000 in a month; if they were able to do that on a scale of 100 million people they’d just be shy of a billion dollars. If they got a quarter of a 100 million people to buy 50 characters for $50, that’d be over a billion dollars.
I used to play a lot of Brawlhalla. It was really fun.

【notice】We would like to inform you that we have agreed to collaborate with Arica Co., Ltd. in order to promote the revamp (revitalization and revival) of IP owned by SNK.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What fighting game?
Why... this one of course!

There's a boss rush mode and two player VS.

Hah! Good luck finding a buddy to play this. Oddly certain games had vs modes (golden axe, SOR, Final Fight, etc etc). I suppose you could call that fighting instead of the story mode brawler part.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Damn Korean chat came out of the woodwork as soon as KR Sooa on stage ^ ^

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom