Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Josh Sawyer appreciation station

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I never engaged in any acts of piracy, ergo not a pirate game.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
None of these are CRPGs.
Rogue Trader got dogged on by streamers and general audience for not being fully voiced, as far as text-heavy AA RPGs go full VO is the expectation now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
None of these are CRPGs.
Rogue Trader got dogged on by streamers and general audience for not being fully voiced, as far as text-heavy AA RPGs go full VO is the expectation now.
Who gives a damn if they're annoyed by it? Games can sell millions, tens of millions without it.

Beastro

Arcane
I hate VO in RPGs outside of small bits like talking heads in Fallout simply because it takes too much away from the imagination.

I liked my Jrpgs in the 90s and never regretted going to a PC over a PS2 if only due to how Jrpgs started setting this stupid trend.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It was a pirates-themed RPG and that was even a selling point for the normie market.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I imagine this annoys Josh almost as much as people who refer to the early Industrial Age as "steampunk."
Yeah, I remember that rant.

His feelings don't change the facts though.

From the steam page:
“It’s the swashbuckling flavor of the Deadfire Archipelago that helps this new project shine, mixing magic, dragons, and mythical gods with pirates, sailing, and a lengthy quest to discover what dangers lurk beyond the horizon.”
Game Informer

Obsidian's own marketing points:
ABOUT THIS GAME

Pursue a rogue god over land and sea in the sequel to the multi-award-winning RPG Pillars of Eternity. Captain your ship on a dangerous voyage of discovery across the vast unexplored archipelago region of the Deadfire. Bend the world to your will, as you explore the depths of infinite possibilities, including detailed character customization, total freedom of exploration, and more meaningful choices at every turn.

• Immerse yourself in a deeper single player RPG game experience - enriched with cutting edge technology and features, Deadfire builds on the foundation of classic D&D gameplay with vastly improved graphics, deeper game mechanics and a whole new hand-crafted adventure where choices truly matter.

• Discover the new region of the Deadfire – plot your own course by ship and explore the rich and exotic islands of the archipelago region, discovering new places interacting with their inhabitants and engaging in a variety of quests at every port.

• Build your party and customize your companions – choose from 7 different companions to join you on your quest and assign multiple classes and deeper abilities for each. Witness their personal relationships and interactions unfold with the addition of the new companion system.

• Captain your ship across the seas – as your stronghold on the seas, your ship is much more than simply a vessel for exploring. Upgrade your ship and crew and choose what skills you improve in order to survive dangerous encounters along the way.

Two animated gifs, fighting in a jungle environment, and fighting on a ship's deck.

Haha, and the current top review:
I'll make this short and sweet--I came to Pillars of Eternity 2 well after its release. Frankly, I had fallen away from the series, and the genre in general. Where its predecessor's setting was rather generic, Pillars of Eternity 2 adopts a unique Caribbean-inspired setting, where tensions loom between locals and acquisitive trading companies. On top of this, there is an intriguing story dealing with themes about free will and divine intervention. While I never felt like the characters in your party were especially memorable, the writing is engaging and snappy.

Tying this all together is a battle system that combines in-depth strategy with flashy and impactful combat--and all without being too cumbersome or tedious to get into.

Did Josh ever correctly know what was good about any one of his games?

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian's own marketing points:
Games that involve ships aren't necessarily pirate games.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag is a pirate game. Risen 2 is a pirate game. Vendetta - Curse of Raven's Cry is a pirate game. Pirates of the Sword Coast, Sid Meier's Pirates!, goes without saying. You are not necessarily a pirate in Deadfire, though you can engage in acts of piracy.

Diggfinger

Arcane

Conversation: Josh Sawyer (Director of Fallout: New Vegas, Pentiment) On Creativity, and Writing​

Josh Sawyer is the legendary writer and director of games such as Fallout: New Vegas, Pentiment, and Pillars of Eternity at Obsidian Entertainment.In this episode, we talk about creativity, writing, inspirations, Josh's workflow, and favorite films.​

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Haha, and the current top review:
I'll make this short and sweet--I came to Pillars of Eternity 2 well after its release. Frankly, I had fallen away from the series, and the genre in general. Where its predecessor's setting was rather generic, Pillars of Eternity 2 adopts a unique Caribbean-inspired setting, where tensions loom between locals and acquisitive trading companies. On top of this, there is an intriguing story dealing with themes about free will and divine intervention. While I never felt like the characters in your party were especially memorable, the writing is engaging and snappy.

Tying this all together is a battle system that combines in-depth strategy with flashy and impactful combat--and all without being too cumbersome or tedious to get into.
Sawyer seething that it's described as Caribbean instead of Polynesian.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Games that involve ships aren't necessarily pirate games.

Assassin's Creed Black Flag is a pirate game. Risen 2 is a pirate game. Vendetta - Curse of Raven's Cry is a pirate game. Pirates of the Sword Coast, Sid Meier's Pirates!, goes without saying. You are not necessarily a pirate in Deadfire, though you can engage in acts of piracy.
Don't get retarded on me now.

I wonder if you and Josh have noticed Deadfire's loading screen.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Bottom line, ship content should've been an easy slamdunk. No one liked fortress content in the first game for a good reason. But having a ship around that you can improve and have adventures on is a nonbrainer addition to the type of game Deadfire was. Unfortunately none of it is any good.

Last edited:

ciox

Liturgist
EFuyWE7.png

just

Liturgist
it's finally happening bros
we manifested it
should have focused on something else, but ok, it's funny

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
it'd certainly cement NV as a trooner classic if Blowyer hatched

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom