Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I was wrong

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Only as clones of the Last Dwarf that was in the disease colony.
The landscape will be dotted with spider-legged mek dwarves in lieu of Cliff Racers.

Honest.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
That would actually kick major ass.

Only if they were clones and not exact copies, though.

A side quest to bring dwarves back to Vvardenfell.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
DarkUnderlord, you say that Bethesda has a habit of railed stories, yet the only Bethesda game you mention is Morrowind. You need to talk about Arena and Daggerfall, too -- you can't complain about a tendency and then point to only one example.
True. Given I've never played Arena or Daggerfall, I'd like to change the line "Bethesda has this habit of making convaluted railed stories which just suck" in my previous post to "Bethesda made a convaluted railed story which just sucked".

Do you want to address the rest of what I said now, or did you just want to avoid the issue again?

MrSmileyFaceDude said:
And you certainly can't complain about Oblivion, since you haven't played it yet.
Oh right, we're back to this. You know, people said the same thing about Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. Now either you're holding the greatest RPG in the world back and not releasing any interesting details on it in a deliberate attempt to blow people away when they see it... or you're full of shit. History tells me I should believe the latter more than the former, in which case I get to say "I told you so" and then tear you a new one when it comes to Fallout 3. On the other hand, if it is the former, you'll certainly gain my respect.

Good luck with that.

merry andrew

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
Do you want to address the rest of what I said now, or did you just want to avoid the issue again?
Isn't "the issue" a bunch of angry cunts complaining furiously about a game that none of them have played and currently know very little about?

:lol: you people want details bad. It's like all the insults and lack of confidence in Bethesda (although you seem to effortlessly have extremely high expectations for what Oblivion should be) are nothing more than a ploy to coerce new information.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Hey, cool, another FO fan pulling the "but...FO:BOS!" card in relation to not judging a game before it's released. :roll:

In any case,

DarkUnderlord said:
Now either you're holding the greatest RPG in the world back and not releasing any interesting details on it in a deliberate attempt to blow people away when they see it... or you're full of shit.

It's a pretty good PR strategy, or at least seems so to me. It's like starving a dog for food periodically and then giving it a couple small peices. The dog will eat up the bits like they're doggy treats hand-crafted by god. It keeps people interested in the product over a long period of time.

merry andrew

Erudite
NeutralMilkHotel said:
Cool, another FO fan pulling the "but...FO:BOS!" card in relation to not judging a game before it's released. :roll:
There weren't any screenshots nor interviews nor official details to indicate the quality, or even the content of the game! Plus don't forget that it was developed by Interplay (i.e. the exact same people who made Fallout!) ... so if they can make such an undesirable game (which was only clear after it was released), Bethesda can too!

:cry:

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
umm... Yes, there were (or maybe not, But I'm looking at media/previews from before release and it looks pretty fucking blatant. Anyways, scratch what I said about it then, I'm tired).

merry andrew

Erudite
NeutralMilkHotel said:
umm... Yes, there were (or maybe not, But I'm looking at media/previews from before release and it looks pretty fucking blatant. Anyways, scratch what I said about it then, I'm tired).
Eh, I was being sarcastic. I'm just gonna assume that the crying face doesn't help get that across, haha.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
I haven't slept in days, so any sort of hidden message in any post would be lost to me. That and, you know, my small amount of intelligence. teehee

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
merry andrew said:
Isn't "the issue" a bunch of angry cunts complaining furiously about a game that none of them have played and currently know very little about?
Yes. That and better ways to implement the ability to kill every NPC because it's not as hard as these gosh-darned professional developers (who, by the way, have been beaten by a 4 year old indie game when it comes to mounted combat) make it out to be.

merry andrew said:
NeutralMilkHotel said:
Cool, another FO fan pulling the "but...FO:BOS!" card in relation to not judging a game before it's released. :roll:
There weren't any screenshots nor interviews nor official details to indicate the quality, or even the content of the game!
The same way there aren't any screenshots, interviews nor official details to indicate the quality of Oblivion? Oh wait...

We made the FO:BOS judgement call based entirely on a shitty web-site (which talked about "protecting the jewels") and some PR disaster bomb-shells which Interplay dropped like "Pirates" and what-not. Plus the expectation (from what little was released) that the game was going to be all actiony combat driven. Oh hey, that sounds like Oblivion...

Hell, the screenshots that were released which we said looked crap were apparently judged "okay" by every non-Fallout fan that saw them. Gosh-darned it I guess us fans were just wrong!

As I said, if Oblivion turns out to be the GREATEST RPG EVAR, you'll get an "OMG wowser" from me and much respect++. However, there have been plenty of times when the PR didn't match the game in any way what-so-ever. Just remember, these guys think Morrowind was like, totally non-linear in every way because you can join every guild at the same time!

By the same token that people don't want us to judge a game before it's released, why are Bethesda releasing anything at all, if not to have us judge it? If you really don't want anyone basing their opinions on "what's released, which is very little" why not just stop releasing all the details at all?

Oh that's right, they need to generate hype so they can get more sales. Unfortunately, so far, the hype has focused on the things that suck. So what else are we supposed to talk about?

kris

Arcane
DarkUnderlord said:
Oh that's right, they need to generate hype so they can get more sales. Unfortunately, so far, the hype has focused on the things that suck. So what else are we supposed to talk about?

The things hyped are not things that "suck", only things you, me and many others don't think is a priority in a game like this. The only stadard that makes those features suck is if you have an old computer...

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
merry andrew said:
DarkUnderlord said:
So what else are we supposed to talk about?
True.

I agree. I like these debates. And it's good that the (a?) developers read them. The only thing that gets old (and probably only to me) is the obvious vendetta and it's repetition (though, I suppose it's an indication that I should just shut my whiny, biatch mouth, and leave like the pussy I am).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
NeutralMilkHotel said:
It's a pretty good PR strategy, or at least seems so to me. It's like starving a dog for food periodically and then giving it a couple small peices.
In that case I don't think they should complain if the hungry dog bites them, though.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
DorkUnderlord said:
you couldn't kill (and Frank Horrigan in that encounter at the start of FO2 but that was not needed anyway and piss poor design on BiS' part)
Actually I killed Frank Horrigan in that encounter. And when I started killing him the farmers (scientist's family?) attacked me. It sure was bug, but, dude, I KILLED him.

Then I completed the game and killed him AGAIN. And you know, I felt great. I though "Damn. Was that cool." And then I checked my stats in PiPboy and, you know, there was written "BigBadBoss______________2". So, ya know, hail to goddamned Fallout..

But yes, Oblivion is your shit, but please, when making Fallout3, look at its predescessors(I mean, Wasteland, Fallout), not your games and NOT FOT, FOPOS or FOOL. And Fallout allways has had one(few) main goal(s) to do and no goddamned sucking smallquests given by some important prick you cannot kill because he is essential.

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
NeutralMilkHotel said:
Hey, cool, another FO fan pulling the "but...FO:BOS!" card in relation to not judging a game before it's released. :roll:

Okay, how about we mention Dungeon Lords?

Use whatever you want. I've just noticed people at NMA constantly using it. For instance, I've seen rosh use it at least ten times, and I laugh when people use it here (I think I've only seen it three times at most). No biggie.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
NeutralMilkHotel said:

Okay, how about we mention Dungeon Lords?
And Lionheart.

merry andrew said:
It was marketed as a dungeon crawler. That's what it is.
Nobody is saying that it wasn't. The points that you somehow managed to miss are:
1) it sucked ass for many reasons (unfinished - literally, what's finished isn't polished, bugs, poor design, etc)
2) we told you it will suck based on the info available at that time before the game was released.

Same with Lionheart. The situation was the same as with Oblivion. Eric Dallaire, one of the designers, was here a lot, defending features and trying to convince us that what they have works well, etc. I can find links for those who are interested. In one of those discussions Dark Underlord coined a term "moron indicators", if I'm not mistaken. There were many people saying that we can't judge the game before it's released, etc; yet in the end the game sucked ass for all the reasons we stated.

This is the Codex. If you are looking for a site to post "what's your fave class?" and The Diablo Experience: your first character, you are in the wrong place. Here we discuss and analyze games to death.

NeutralMilkHotel said:
Use whatever you want. I've just noticed people at NMA constantly using it. For instance, I've seen rosh use it at least ten times, and I laugh when people use it here (I think I've only seen it three times at most). No biggie.
What do you mean? Clarify.

merry andrew

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Same with Lionheart. The situation was the same as with Oblivion. Eric Dallaire, one of the designers, was here a lot, defending features and trying to convince us that what they have works well, etc. I can find links for those who are interested. In one of those discussions Dark Underlord coined a term "moron indicators", if I'm not mistaken. There were many people saying that we can't judge the game before it's released, etc; yet in the end the game sucked ass for all the reasons we stated.
Ah, I wasn't really around for that.

Still, I personally wouldn't feel right comparing Bethesda to studios like Reflexive and Heuristic Park, but I guess we'll see.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
"Apparently, according to the wikipedia, I've said that ducks' quacks don't echo. Fact: they don't echo. Prove me wrong, please."

Dont your asianic peeps eat that shit all the time? How the hell can you not know ducks quack doesnt echo? Gotta be the dumbest thing I ever read, and thats pretty bad considering all the crap you've said, what with your flip flops and such.

Hazelnut

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
I posted this over at the Elder Scrolls forums, but I felt I should post it here, too, since I posted the incorrect info here to begin with. Mea culpa.

OK, so I was wrong. If you kill an essential NPC, you have to load a previous game save.

The number of NPCs you cannot kill is a tiny fraction of the NPCs in the world. The fact of the matter is that killing NPCs that quests rely on breaks the game. Many NPCs are so essential to the game world working, with our AI and so forth, that their deaths can cause any number of things to appear as bugs, or not as we intended. The designers do handle certain NPCs being killed in quests, the ones that make sense to kill, but not, for example, the Count of a city, or the heir to the throne. And it was either force you to re-load, or have the designers remove what made the quests entertaining and compelling in the first place. And I think we can all agree that it's better to have quests that are more fun to play through than quests that are artificially simplified because the designers had to worry about every obscure contingency.

But don't worry about accidentally finding yourself in this situation. We'll have a visual indicator of who's an essential NPC and who isn't, so the chances of you accidentally killing an essential NPC will be slim. And if you find yourself in combat with one, you can always attempt to yield.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion!

ps -- the visual indicator is a small icon that appears when you are close enough to talk to the NPC you're looking at. It'll be one color if they're an essential NPC, another if they're not.

Thanks for letting us all know MSFD, I am very glad you continue to come over here to read & post.

Regarding the auto-reload if you kill a vital NPC, before where you said that the player could continue the game (like in MW) there was a point to allowing the death. Surely though if the char's death requires a reload (breaking immersion, not allowing game to progress etc) then what is the point in allowing that to happen at all? Obviously you don't want to stop the player from initiating combat (since they can always yield) - that is commendable, but allowing the death and a forced reload?? Which neccessitates the icon to indicate this since the last save could be hours ago.. (assuming OB is more stable than MW of course, and you don't need to save every 5 mins in case of a CTD)

Why not have these vital NPC's deaths not allowed in the game mechanics? I don't just mean immortal neccessarily, although I think that would be better than forced reloads & icons, what if...

If there are so few vital NPCs, why not have some gameworld supported reason that the NPC can't be killed? Maybe when NPC is weak, he grabs some scroll like you have never seen and teleports to safety, or maybe summons some very nasty demons - enough that you're either dead or have retreated no matter your level. Want some more ideas? How about some kind of intervention from a deity that shields or 'stone skin' the NPC? Or a partner that comes galoping in from nowhere (hey you missed him ya blind coot) on a horse and knocks you unconcious? Or even, as someone else suggested, make them replaceable with new char for same role (new skin, same NPC to all intents & purposes)...

I dunno much ES lore (I like the games because they are single char, FPP RPG's not for the setting, fave games being Deus Ex & Ultima Underword 2), so my suggestions may be idiotic, but if you at Beth can be creative and integrate this issue into the game world/mechanics, rather than do a hack, even this close to release then I think it would be great. I definitely think things like this would be a much better solution to making the vital quest NPC's unkillable. It might only be a small issue, but it has been stated that OB is going to be very polished and there has obviously been a lot of attention to detail in other areas (trees, animation, AI etc) so it would be a shame to do something half-hearted and hack-ish. I don't count the features dropped (horseback combat, xbows etc) since they are just design desisions. Iin this case I can understand the design desision and wouldn't want less complex quests - it's just the supporting implementation which I'm questioning.

Hazelnut.

P.S. In case someone has suggested the exact same thing, I haven't read the entire thread yet.

EDIT - Well one or two ppl did then! LOL. Still - this thread was one of the more interesting discussions I've seen here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom