Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Cat Dude

Savant
Awful combat animation all over again.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Why even bother with remakes. They always turn out to be terrible compared to the original.
Money... ?

I feel like you should know that.
For something like Gothic, it doesn't make as much sense. It is relatively obscure compared to other things that have gotten remakes.
Sure, it's rather niche but it certainly has its fans. Which means you can get away with some success despite using a smaller team and probably lower costs for the IP?

MerchantKing

Learned
Why even bother with remakes. They always turn out to be terrible compared to the original.
Money... ?

I feel like you should know that.
For something like Gothic, it doesn't make as much sense. It is relatively obscure compared to other things that have gotten remakes.
Sure, it's rather niche but it certainly has its fans. Which means you can get away with some success despite using a smaller team and probably lower costs for the IP?
However, they could have just rerelease the original with a simple retexture, resolution support, and by allowing options to modify the control scheme and make more profit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The thing that bothers me the most about this trailer is the whole OI GUV FUK OFF M8 style it's going for. It's complete missing the mark of the original, and you can bet your ass that it's all going to be like that.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
The thing that bothers me the most about this trailer is the whole OI GUV FUK OFF M8 style it's going for. It's complete missing the mark of the original, and you can bet your ass that it's all going to be like that.
I wouldn't know since I'm not aware what does the original Gothic sound like in English in the first place

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i actually played gothic 1 in three different languages...
borealesad.jpg

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I wouldn't know since I'm not aware what does the original Gothic sound like in English in the first place

you trying to insult me or something? why would i watch this when i got to experience the original vo already? same with the witcher or jack orlando

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

No "welcome to the colony" punch in the face? No female whore sent in with the goods?

Man, I was coming here to say the trailer wasn't bad for a "day in the life of a digger" piece, to kinda give an idea of the tone and social dynamics (despite the weird British "u w0t m8" talk).

But fuuuck man, that playable teaser video just threw all that momentary optimism through the window. The overly talkative cocky hero, the "epicness" instead of starting at the low end, etc... Truly atrocious.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron

No "welcome to the colony" punch in the face? No female whore sent in with the goods?

Man, I was coming here to say the trailer wasn't bad for a "day in the life of a digger" piece, to kinda give an idea of the tone and social dynamics (despite the weird British "u w0t m8" talk).

But fuuuck man, that playable teaser video just threw all that momentary optimism through the window. The overly talkative cocky hero, the "epicness" instead of starting at the low end, etc... Truly atrocious.

This is the vertical slice they made three years ago to gauge reactions and see if they can convince the suits to let them do a full remake. It's 100% shit, but it has nothing at all to do with what they are actually making. They know what the fans didn't like about it.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This is the vertical slice they made three years ago to gauge reactions and see if they can convince the suits to let them do a full remake. It's 100% shit, but it has nothing at all to do with what they are actually making. They know what the fans didn't like about it.
Oh alright; haven't been keeping up.

They did keep the british accents though, which just makes the characters seem posh rather than bottom of the ladder criminals.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Oh alright; haven't been keeping up.

They did keep the british accents though, which just makes the characters seem posh rather than bottom of the ladder criminals.
I'm pretty sure I remember hearing they are using the original recordings for the German dialogue, so there's that at least.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Combat in Gothic 1 has never been good and anyone who thinks so should stop taking their meds.
The combat literally consisted of constantly swinging the weapon right and left to stunlock the enemy.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Combat in Gothic 1 has never been good and anyone who thinks so should stop taking their meds.
The combat literally consisted of constantly swinging the weapon right and left to stunlock the enemy.
Oh look, another moron who didn't level up combat skills.
Literally no matter how much your level your skills, swinging your sword right and left is the always fastest.
You can stunlock even a troll.

Last edited:

VerSacrum

Educated
The atmosphere of the game will be lost with new graphics. Just add texture packs like the mods, the game looks great with those.
Perhaps it's my age, but imo Gothic still has impressive visuals and atmosphere even without mods. I don't need no gay remake either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom