Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sure, but a proof of concept isn't random shit thrown together for no reason. It's supposed to show what the general idea and feel they are going for is. And it was so off the mark that it's obvious they have no intention to make a Gothic game for Gothic fans.
They had no idea what they were going for because they are a group of random Spanish interns that have never made a game before. After negative feedback, they hired one of the original dozen men that made Gothic in the first place and the technical director from the only good Gothic product made in the last 20 years.
So you're saying that they added the protagonist's monologues on accident, because they had no idea what they were doing? They just got someone to do VA and then implemented all the lines as a mistake and not on purpose? Changes like not having the iconic opening was a mistake that could only happen because it was made by inexperienced interns? Hiring two people who are vaguely tied to the original Gothic series isn't going to change things for the better, you know. That just reeks of PR gimmickry. Something the industry does often enough to know that it never means anything.

The problem with the demo isn't that they lacked technical know-how to implement features. It's not like Gothic is a super duper complex game with difficult game mechanics to implement or reimagine. The main issue with the demo was that it didn't get the soul and essence of Gothic right. I didn't feel like it even had a surface understanding of it. Now that could've been a rookie mistake, or it could just as well be intentional.

Last edited:

Laz Sundays

Educated
Their hearts seem to be in the right place and for the most parts they are saying the right things
Yes that's very much in vogue today.

"I love Star Wars, am the biggest fan".... produces Last Jedi.
"We're the biggest fans of Star Trek, so fun, love it".... produce Discovery and Pickard.
"We're the absolute biggest fans of LotR, always going back to the books, back to the books, back to the books"..... produce Rings of Power.

Seems claiming you're the biggest fan of some beloved boomer IP is the new favourite trick of woke con men, con women and con everything between.
Not to mention that these guys have already put forth a demo. Good words are meaningless when we have concrete evidence of their intentions put into action.
The demo was just a haphazard proof of concept to gauge interest and collect feedback
Doubt it will reflect the final release
But then again these days you can't be sure of anything...
Sure, but a proof of concept isn't random shit thrown together for no reason. It's supposed to show what the general idea and feel they are going for is. And it was so off the mark that it's obvious they have no intention to make a Gothic game for Gothic fans.
They had no idea what they were going for because they are a group of random Spanish interns that have never made a game before. After negative feedback, they hired one of the original dozen men that made Gothic in the first placddde and the technical director from the only good Gothic product made in the last 20 years.
^true story

Perfect recap of what happened since it was announced

notpl

Arbiter
They had no idea what they were going for because they are a group of random Spanish interns that have never made a game before. After negative feedback, they hired one of the original dozen men that made Gothic in the first place and the technical director from the only good Gothic product made in the last 20 years.
So you're saying that they added the protagonist's monologues on accident, because they had no idea what they were doing? They just got someone to do VA and then implemented all the lines as a mistake and not on purpose? Changes like not having the iconic opening was a mistake that could only happen because it was made by inexperienced interns? Hiring two people who are vaguely tied to the original Gothic series isn't going to change things for the better, you know. That just reeks of PR gimmickry. Something the industry does often enough to know that it never means anything.
Really? You know something the rest of us don't about the development of the game? Personally, I have never once in 30 or 40 years of playing video games seen a developer go "You're right, that demo sucked, we're going to hire new people and redo it" so I have no frame of reference from which to form a prejudice.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Screen from the camp. Not worth much on its own, but they have an event in two days. I expect to see something related to the game.
1691621073776.png

Groover

Literate
Is anyone else a little miffed at just how desaturated the colours look in this game? I get that it's not a pleasant place to be in, but I'd rather be looking at something a little more appealing than these dull grays and browns, especially if I'll be spending a lot of time in this world. It feels like we're back in the muddy world of 7th gen console games. Even film of late has been going overkill on desaturation filters, and I'm really not a fan of it.

Is it not possible to communicate hardship and trying times in anything but the colour of dirt?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
They have the lead writer of Enderal working on it, so I think the game should be in good hands.
The writing may be competent, but it isn't synonymous with maintaining the mood and vibes of the old gothic. Writers are strange beings, mostly capable of writing only specific genres of their liking. But if I recall the guys behind Enderal were reallly into writing, making two games and writing books, so I guess we can expect at least a bit of solid work from them.
And, to be perfectly honest, the first Gothic floated on its climate and witty dialogues, not story. It was more an achievement of direction and worldbuilding than storytelling.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Is anyone else a little miffed at just how desaturated the colours look in this game? I get that it's not a pleasant place to be in, but I'd rather be looking at something a little more appealing than these dull grays and browns, especially if I'll be spending a lot of time in this world. It feels like we're back in the muddy world of 7th gen console games. Even film of late has been going overkill on desaturation filters, and I'm really not a fan of it.

Is it not possible to communicate hardship and trying times in anything but the colour of dirt?

Did you ever play the original game? It was not known for it's bright color palette.

Behold it in all of it's glorious desaturation!

Groover

Literate
Did you ever play the original game? It was not known for it's bright color palette.

Behold it in all of it's glorious desaturation!
I did actually, it seemed to be a relic of that time where a lot of early 3D environments were relatively bare and ugly - even Gothic 2 wasn't so drab-looking. I think it's one of the few areas where some of those games haven't aged so well.. also the fucking ulu mulu quest. Besides, we should be striving to outdo the past and not be mired in it. I get that it's a festering mining colony, but you can tell that it's not a natural look when even the glow of the embers is muted. Trees and vegetation look sickly and a lot of the environments blend into the same colourless mush. It's a common technique to feign a rough atmosphere by just slapping a filter over everything and calling it a day, and it's weak.

My question was partly rhetorical as plenty of games have managed to combine rich colours with an unsettling/depressing environment: System Shocks, Planescape, Witchers, Majora's Mask, etc.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar
They have the lead writer of Enderal working on it, so I think the game should be in good hands.
This might sound like an odd question, but why exactly do they need a writer to begin with? The story is already there.

The first Gothic was groundbreaking for its time as the game that Richard Garriott wished Ultima IX was. But as someone mentioned all it had was great atmosphere and vibes, it would be very difficult to sell the game to the modern day audience just based on that. It would be difficult to sell the game too even with massive changes, which is why remaking the game was such a dumbfuck idea.

Remaking Gothic 2 would have been far more interesting as that game had more going on and would have differentiated itself from being an indie Morrowind. Alas we will probably never see that after the remake of the first game flops.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here we goooo:

https://www.thqnordic.com/article/camp-old-trailer-new-gothic-shows-citylife-valley-mines

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, August 11th, 2023: Welcome to the Old Camp! Embark on an enchanting guided tour through the grandest and most expansive encampment in the Valley of Mines. We'll accompany a charming scoundrel, leisurely traversing the city, interacting amiably with the locals, and bearing witness to the thrilling fervor of the arena battles!

Experience the excitement in our new trailer: https://youtu.be/GUnzf9krUIs

The Gothic Remake is currently undergoing full-scale development, and only Innos knows the precise moment it will grace PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series S/X!

Be sure to add the game to your wishlist and discover more about this epic adventure at these links:

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Here we goooo:

https://www.thqnordic.com/article/camp-old-trailer-new-gothic-shows-citylife-valley-mines

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, August 11th, 2023: Welcome to the Old Camp! Embark on an enchanting guided tour through the grandest and most expansive encampment in the Valley of Mines. We'll accompany a charming scoundrel, leisurely traversing the city, interacting amiably with the locals, and bearing witness to the thrilling fervor of the arena battles!

The Gothic Remake is currently undergoing full-scale development, and only Innos knows the precise moment it will grace PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series S/X!

Be sure to add the game to your wishlist and discover more about this epic adventure at these links:

Completely worthless cinematic trailer also way to much spoken banter it has lost it's german Identity. can't we let the based Archolos poles get a go instead please?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Here we goooo:

So...

- the main hero is now to be a full time thief
- street brawls will end up with guards killing the winner, even if he had only beaten the opponent
- arena will have monster opponents

ferratilis

Magister
They somehow managed to remove everything that gave Gothic its charm, even the background music is subdued. Sad!

Ravielsk

Magister
They somehow managed to remove everything that gave Gothic its charm, even the background music is subdued. Sad!
I find it mildly impressive how modern devs can be given a complete template on how to build a game in the form of another game and still extract everything but what is actually part of the template. Its as if I gave you a step by step video on how to cook a chicken and you somehow came back with spaghetti. Its a result sure but... just how the fuck did you get that kind of result.

Jinn

Arcane
I find it mildly impressive how modern devs can be given a complete template on how to build a game in the form of another game and still extract everything but what is actually part of the template. Its as if I gave you a step by step video on how to cook a chicken and you somehow came back with spaghetti. Its a result sure but... just how the fuck did you get that kind of result.
Yeah, it's because these developers don't actually like the original game. You'd have to appreciate it in order to extract the good from it.

scytheavatar

Scholar

A remake is not a remaster........ the people in Square Enix was right to say that there's no point in making a remake if it is not better than the original. Trying to make a better game than a classic is a far more daunting and difficult task than what many seem to realize. To the point where you should be asking why bother making a remake when you can be making a brand new game instead, which doesn't take much more work and gives you more flexiability.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom