Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good gaming channels on Youtube?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I remember watching some of this guy's videos in the past.
Pretty good content, though nothing spectacular.
Also bonus points for not going full retarded fanboy "OMG FALLOUT SHOW IS SO AWESOME OMG OMG!!!".

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

5 days till it came up in my feed. Damn. I'm also dissapointed in you guys. Posting DWTerminator while Space Cadet has to wait for his spotlight. Shame.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

You should have seen his Fallout 4 review, by the end of it he sounded like he was gonna suicide bomb Bethesda HQ for insulting his intelligence. Amusing guy.

He's a good reviewer, but he does tend to have some shit takes from time to time.
For example complaining that Unreal has no story and that it is the game's weak part.
WHAT?
Unreal is an atmospheric shooter and its storytelling is done through the environment itself...

Fargus

Arcane

You should have seen his Fallout 4 review, by the end of it he sounded like he was gonna suicide bomb Bethesda HQ for insulting his intelligence. Amusing guy.

He's a goos reviewer, but he does tend to have some shit takes from time to time.
For example complaining that Unreal has no story and that it is the game's weak part.
WHAT?
Unreal is an atmospheric shooter and its storytelling is done through the environment itself...

I used to watch him for laughs. He tends to be very autistic and just shits on games that are not even bad giving them 1 or 2 out of 10 causing some meltdown in the comments.

AndyS

Augur
He's a good reviewer, but he does tend to have some shit takes from time to time.
WHAT?
I seem to remember him crapping all over Stalker because the vanilla version was buggy and he was too stuck up to just install some patches.

Silverfish

Arbiter

His Dark Souls review was the best. One of his criticisms was that the environments were too similar, but then let it drop that he only played up to the Depths before the review.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
PatricianTV has to be the worst fucking writer in this space, holy shit. His Fallout 76 videos were more or less coherent and alright, but the Starfield one is such total ass. He has to inflating his runtime with random rambling just to be able to clickbait with that runtime, because some people perceive that as a mark of quality (as well as being incredible engagement bait with comments for the algo)
It's just intolerable. I watch the Joseph Anderson Witcher series and it's as if I am quenching my thirst with cool spring water, hearing something that has a fucking structure. You clearly cannot criticize Emil Pagliarulo for being a shit writer if what you end up with is that Starfield video, god damn.

Silverfish

Arbiter
PatricianTV has to be the worst fucking writer in this space, holy shit.

Dude aggressively uses one my pet peeves in this kind of video, where the reviewer constantly says 'we' instead of 'I' when recapping their experiences. "We take the thing back to the guy. We kill the bandit boss. We steal this key to open the gate." Bro, "we" didn't do shit. Terrible writing habit.

Hell Swarm

Educated

Dude aggressively uses one my pet peeves in this kind of video, where the reviewer constantly says 'we' instead of 'I' when recapping their experiences. "We take the thing back to the guy. We kill the bandit boss. We steal this key to open the gate." Bro, "we" didn't do shit. Terrible writing habit.
Baby's first parasocial programming.

I remember in some college class, they were teaching us about proper essay writing. We were told to avoid first person writing because it feels unprofessional. So one of my mates used "we" in this way. The teacher circled every instance of "we", and in the first page of his essay, he wrote "you're writing this on your own. who's 'we'?"

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wouldn't be surprised if he does that intentionally to generate responses, he's been very clear at the past that if he will do things that cause people to engage with his videos and community (which in turns causes people to engage with the videos) as that helps with the YouTube algorithm.

I mean consider that he starts pretty much every long video of his preemptively talking down people who complain about the length (which will cause some people to respond) and that those who want to watch the entirety of it can respond with a timestamp comment so they can continue later using their comment (and there are many such comments in these videos despite YouTube remembering where you stopped watching a video so you can continue) - essentially doubledipping on engagement both from people who would watch his videos and from people who wouldn't watch his videos (but want to show how smart they are with their time use and share that with others).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I remember in some college class, they were teaching us about proper essay writing. We were told to avoid first person writing because it feels unprofessional. So one of my mates used "we" in this way. The teacher circled every instance of "we", and in the first page of his essay, he wrote "you're writing this on your own. who's 'we'?"
WE

Spike

Educated

WE
WUZ

Hobknobling

Learned
I wouldn't be surprised if he does that intentionally to generate responses, he's been very clear at the past that if he will do things that cause people to engage with his videos and community (which in turns causes people to engage with the videos) as that helps with the YouTube algorithm.

I mean consider that he starts pretty much every long video of his preemptively talking down people who complain about the length (which will cause some people to respond) and that those who want to watch the entirety of it can respond with a timestamp comment so they can continue later using their comment (and there are many such comments in these videos despite YouTube remembering where you stopped watching a video so you can continue) - essentially doubledipping on engagement both from people who would watch his videos and from people who wouldn't watch his videos (but want to show how smart they are with their time use and share that with others).
Beginning with rote and meta-commentary filled overstatements is a big pet peeve of mine in essay writing and it is very common in this space. It is also one of the things people should have learned to avoid if they put this much effort into creating very long videos.

Of course, one of the reasons why these videos are so long, is that the YouTube monetization system encourages people to write like they are trying to reach the required word count for a school essay.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course, one of the reasons why these videos are so long, is that the YouTube monetization system encourages people to write like they are trying to reach the required word count for a school essay.

I don't think after 30m or so it makes much of a difference as far as the YouTube algorithm is concerned.

I haven't watched PatricianTV's more recent videos since the games he has covered aren't of interest to me (aside from Starfield but i want to play it first myself before watching anything about it) but i did watch his Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim videos and IMO while a few things here and there could be shortened, the difference wouldn't be that big because the videos try to cover everything, from story, to mechanics to the game's development history and try to do this in a way that shows in practice (in the video itself) how things are affected - and where appropriate also show how doing things differently affects things too (he made multiple playthroughs with different characters doing different things).

I have watched shorter videos by other people and they always leave a lot of things out and/or are vague whereas Patrician tries to cover most things and do it in detail. At the end of the day these aren't reviews (the titles are just for clickbaity engagement, if it wasn't already obvious), these are analysis videos and the games have a lot of things to discuss/show in them.

Hell Swarm

Educated
They're videos made for quantity not quality. They're the zoomer version of putting the radio on so the house isn't so quiet. But when technology has mind fucked you so bad you can't tolerate not being digital noise you need a lot of really long videos to keep it going. So ADHD screen addicts, WOW junkies and others don't care about the content, they care about the noise.

Ezekiel

Arcane

I don't think after 30m or so it makes much of a difference as far as the YouTube algorithm is concerned.

I haven't watched PatricianTV's more recent videos since the games he has covered aren't of interest to me (aside from Starfield but i want to play it first myself before watching anything about it) but i did watch his Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim videos and IMO while a few things here and there could be shortened, the difference wouldn't be that big because the videos try to cover everything, from story, to mechanics to the game's development history and try to do this in a way that shows in practice (in the video itself) how things are affected - and where appropriate also show how doing things differently affects things too (he made multiple playthroughs with different characters doing different things).

I have watched shorter videos by other people and they always leave a lot of things out and/or are vague whereas Patrician tries to cover most things and do it in detail. At the end of the day these aren't reviews (the titles are just for clickbaity engagement, if it wasn't already obvious), these are analysis videos and the games have a lot of things to discuss/show in them.
As I write the script and collect the footage for my first analysis video, new subjects keep coming to mind. I have so much covered now that the video will be longer that even I am normally willing to watch (such a video).

Another just came to mind: the implied pacifism in these Batman games. Batman won't kill Joker, even after losing Talia, but is perfectly happy dropping goons on their heads from several meters up and exploding them with gel and their own mines. They're all fine, apparently. Just unconscious, probably. I don't think it can be done in a video game about him. Maybe I'll suggest scoring the player at the end of the game and subtracting points for "accidents." A kill count. Use footage of Batman blowing up all those people in Burton's movies (several in the first, at least one in Returns). I don't know the comics from before the strict pacifism.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

As I write the script and collect the footage for my first analysis video, new subjects keep coming to mind. I have so much covered now that the video will be longer that even I am normally willing to watch (such a video).

Another just came to mind: the implied pacifism in these Batman games. Batman won't kill Joker, even after losing Talia, but is perfectly happy dropping goons on their heads from several meters up and exploding them with gel and their own mines. They're all fine, apparently. Just unconscious, probably. I don't think it can be done in a video game about him. Maybe I'll suggest scoring the player at the end of the game and subtracting points for "accidents." A kill count. Use footage of Batman blowing up all those people in Burton's movies (several in the first, at least one in Returns). I don't know the comics from before the strict pacifism.
One of the many retarded Superhero tropes.
The good guy can't kill the bad guy because..."reasons".
"We are better than them!!"
Joker is a character that is incredibly popular, losing him won't sit well with the fans.
Imagine how much damage Batman has caused by NOT killing Joker and allowing him to rampage through Gotham...

Hell Swarm

Educated
Joker is a character that is incredibly popular, losing him won't sit well with the fans.
Imagine how much damage Batman has caused by NOT killing Joker and allowing him to rampage through Gotham...
Fucking liberalism. It's better to be a monster who can make the right decisions to make things better than a cuck who has to keep cleaning up after mass murderers. If Superman put his fist through every faggot who intentionally kills people (even just a lot of people) the DC universe would be so much better. Even fucking Star wars figured out eventually Jedi have to kill people or the clone wars never ends.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Joker died in the game, but it was because he tried to take the cure to the mutated Titan virus from Batman and the vial fell on the floor.

"You wanna know something funny? Even after everything you've done, I would have saved you."

"That actually is **cough, cough** pretty funny!" **Dead**

Yeah, didn't work for me, after everything I had done to my opponents. You wouldn't want them to bounce off invisible walls when you're on a rooftop or high catwalk. Having Batman automatically catch them with a rope would only disrupt the action. Since there is no way to believably save every opponent, the story should ignore that aspect of Batman. Like you said, if he kills a few, it's for a greater good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom