Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GalCiv 2 & Copy Protection

Gwendo

Augur
Usually pirate groups don't worry too much about updates. Those releases don't contribute to raise their status/points. Unless it's a main stream game and that update needs cracking.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I just did a little bit of searching and found the lastest patch in the first Google hit for "Galactic Civilizations 2 Update Torrent." They weren't even torrents, they were URLs.

bryce777

Erudite
baby arm said:
Wardell & Co had more to say on this today:

"Our primary weapon to fight piracy is through rewarding customers through convenient, frequent, free updates.
If you make it easy for users to buy and make full use of your product or service legitimately then we believe that you'll gain more users from that convenience than you'll lose from piracy.
We realize that some people or companies might feel threatened at any evidence that implies that draconian DRM schemes or CD copy protection may not make that big of a difference in sales.
For example, we were quite disturbed to discover that the company that makes Starforce provided a working URL to a list of pirated GalCiv II torrents. I'm not sure whether what they did was illegal or not, but it's troubling nevertheless and was totally unnecessary."
http://forums.galciv2.com/?ForumID=161&AID=106741

Starforce is a class act all the way.

That begs the question of whether they are actually involved in the piracy...it really makes you wonder.

Seriously, a straight up url to dl the whole game? Seems unliely and rather fishy. That could cost some serious bandwidth....

Abernathy

Scholar
bryce777 said:
[Seriously, a straight up url to dl the whole game? Seems unliely and rather fishy. That could cost some serious bandwidth....

Stardock emailed the site in question and the game was removed from the torrent almost immediately - much to the dismay of at least one punter on the Starforce forums :)

obediah

Erudite
bryce777 said:
That begs the question of whether they are actually involved in the piracy...it really makes you wonder.

Seriously, a straight up url to dl the whole game? Seems unliely and rather fishy. That could cost some serious bandwidth....

Are you for real? Grabbing any moderately popular PC game is as easy as hell with bittorrent - isohunt, piratebay, torrentreactor, ... I wish pirating shit was this easy back when I was a poor student and couldn't afford the games I wanted.

I'm not sure who you mean by 'they'. Starforce isn't involved in the piracy at all, they're just taking a mafioso stance in trying to combat the bad (for them) PR of a game with no copy protection selling much better than expected.

There's no need to sponsore piracy. Anyone with a broadband connection or some patience can participate.

bryce777

Erudite
obediah said:
bryce777 said:

Are you for real? Grabbing any moderately popular PC game is as easy as hell with bittorrent - isohunt, piratebay, torrentreactor, ... I wish pirating shit was this easy back when I was a poor student and couldn't afford the games I wanted.

I'm not sure who you mean by 'they'. Starforce isn't involved in the piracy at all, they're just taking a mafioso stance in trying to combat the bad (for them) PR of a game with no copy protection selling much better than expected.

There's no need to sponsore piracy. Anyone with a broadband connection or some patience can participate.

He said a link directly to a download, not to a torrent. Either way, it is pretty fucked up of the starforce people to pull shit like that.

obediah

Erudite
bryce777 said:
He said a link directly to a download, not to a torrent.

Not in the text you quoted, or any other I've found.

Either way, it is pretty fucked up of the starforce people to pull shit like that.

Agreed 100%.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom