Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gaider on "Quality"

Elvenshae

Novice
XJEDX said:
Look, your point was that NWN is t3h bestest gaem evar! because it has multiplayer and that, including dying, there are "two" ways to complete the game. I'm not debating theory with you, I'm telling you in NWN there is no way to roleplay because in order to have your beloved multyplayar!, all depth of gameplay was sacrifced, leaving combat the only method of interacting in the world. So if your idea of deep roleplaying is being the guy who kills everything, then you win the argument and can crawl back to your cave. On the second point, if you're still insisting that having your character die is an option for finishing NWN, you are a moron.

Wow, Jed - thanks! I knew there was a reason I called you a fool and meant it.

At no point have I ever claimed that NWN was the absolute best game ever - or, in your words, $up@ k3w|. Nor do I think it is the finest example of roleplaying on the screen. Capisce? Check the Bioware boards for my own opinions on NWN and its official campaigns, and the direction things must take for NWN to be a better translation of PNP.

What I did claim that NWN is, however, is the best commercial translation of the 3rd Edition D&D ruleset to the computer that allows multiple players. I also said that there is a fundamental flaw in your logic regarding single- vs. multi-player as regards the possible existence of roleplaying.

You may portray my opinions in l33t-speak all you want, and you'll probably feel so much more intelligent for it - congratulations.

The fact remains that a "Game Over - You have died." screen is a possible ending to an RPG, whether it be PnP or C. Have you ever had a character die in PnP, Jed? It isn't always possible to bring them back.

In a single-player environment, when the PC is the *only* character that counts, this sort of ending almost always results in a reload. We all do it. In multi-player situations, however, the *party* - you know, those guys you roleplay with - can continue on and successfully - however that is defined - complete a task. Your PC's death - though no doubt regrettable - can make that success possible. This sort of interaction, this ability to *roleplay* a heroic sacrifice, is, to my knowledge, entirely lacking in the single-player arena.

Elvenshae

Novice
Role-Player said:

At the risk of reducing your well-written arguments to a single line, you seem to be saying "The problem with multiplayer CRPGs is all the idiots with computers."

Chiefly, you enjoy an in-depth roleplaying experience, and nothing ruins it more for you than people who continually break the roleplaying moode. To paraphrase, "You can lead a gamer to RPGs, but you can't make him roleplay."

This is not so much an indictment of computer roleplaying games - single- or multi-player- as it is a condemnation of computer gamers. The key, then, is to only play in multi-player games where the other players share your own views on the type of roleplaying, and general gameplaying, that are allowed.

In other words, lowest-common-denominator, pays-your-money-plays-your-game games, like EQ, UO, and most other MMORPGs, are absolutely not for you. They are populated with the sort of people you wouldn't invite back to a PnP gaming session, or, more likely, people who wouldn't get invited in the first place.

If there were a way to ensure that the only players who joined you in a multiplayer CRPG session were of similar mindset, would it alleviate many of your primary problems with the medium?

Re: Dwarves in Napoleonic France:

I brought that up merely as an illustration that roleplayers, despite our love for freedom within a ruleset, are still willing to be bound by the limitations of that ruleset. Any CRPG ruleset merely offers more restrictions than most PnP rulesets, because of its predeterministic nature.

Also, I said you wouldn't whine about it, incase you misread earlier.

I agree wholeheartedly that CRPGs need not merely rehash old themes and redo old quests, that fresh blood and fresh perspectives are worthwhile. One fresh perspective, however, is bringing multiiple human players to the table, as it were.

Fallout, FO2, Arcanum, and ToEE (from all its pre-completion hype) are aiming (or, aimed) at a particular type of fresh perspective: non-standard/non-fantasy settings, multiple successful game completion pathways, and/or expanded player choice within any given pathway.

NWN, successfully or not, aimed at a different perspective: the ability for multiple players and multiple DMs to create modules and play through them together.

Would NWN have been better if there were more options? Absolutely! Would Arcanum have been better if there had been more options? Absolutely! More options are always better. In this case, however, Arcanum is starting with a larger base.

The kicker, however, is would Arcanum have been a better game if multiplayer - and the ability to find decent roleplaying partners - had been better implemented? It's an option, and, to my mind, more options is always better, all else being equal.

Jed

Cipher
Elvenshae said:
At no point have I ever claimed that NWN was the absolute best game ever - or, in your words, $up@ k3w|. Nor do I think it is the finest example of roleplaying on the screen. Capisce? Check the Bioware boards for my own opinions on NWN and its official campaigns, and the direction things must take for NWN to be a better translation of PNP.
And I'm telling you they'll have to make an entire new game for NWN to even shit in the shadow of PnP. I'm making the argument that the dearth of ways to interact with the game world is hardcoded in the Aurora engine. What can you do besides kill things? Oh yeah, buy stuff. Have fun deep roleplaying your murderous consumer!
In a single-player environment, when the PC is the *only* character that counts, this sort of ending almost always results in a reload. We all do it. In multi-player situations, however, the *party* - you know, those guys you roleplay with - can continue on and successfully - however that is defined - complete a task. Your PC's death - though no doubt regrettable - can make that success possible. This sort of interaction, this ability to *roleplay* a heroic sacrifice, is, to my knowledge, entirely lacking in the single-player arena.
Yeah, and you can't do this in NWN either. When you die, the game is over, and since the people you are playing with are in other places, you can't even watch the rest of the story play out, so your point is moot in terms of NWN. I can name one SP game, though: Torment.
The fact remains that a "Game Over - You have died." screen is a possible ending to an RPG, whether it be PnP or C. Have you ever had a character die in PnP, Jed? It isn't always possible to bring them back.
You keep making smarmy insinuations that I haven't played PnP, thus I can't appreciate NWN. Wrong. If I didn't play PnP, I might be halfway fooled into thinking multiplayer NWN is fun.

Elvenshae

Novice
XJEDX said:
And I'm telling you they'll have to make an entire new game for NWN to even shit in the shadow of PnP. I'm making the argument that the dearth of ways to interact with the game world is hardcoded in the Aurora engine.

Which shows how absolutely little you know about the engine. Have you even looked at any of the user-made modules? Granted, the earliest created ones are fairly hack-and-slash, but that's because it's easy to do. Perhaps you could try some of the newer offerings?

Yeah, and you can't do this in NWN either. When you die, the game is over, and since the people you are playing with are in other places, you can't even watch the rest of the story play out, so your point is moot in terms of NWN. I can name one SP game, though: Torment.

The comments regarding NWN are true only in the case of the official campaign. Many user-created modules have custom OnDeath() scripts, which do various things depending on what the module designer thinks is appropriate.

PS: Torment allowed the player to die, wake up, and then keep going. At no point - that I am aware of - could the Nameless One heroically sacrifice himself and allow Dakkon and Fall-From-Grace to complete their objectives. Instead, everyone ended up back in the Mortuary as soon as the Nameless One fell.

Not quite what I was referring to, Jed, but thanks for steering away from the l33t-speak. There is no reason that two people who disagree, even violently, cannot have a reasoned, civil discussion.

Elvenshae

Novice
XJEDX said:
You keep making smarmy insinuations that I haven't played PnP, thus I can't appreciate NWN. Wrong. If I didn't play PnP, I might be halfway fooled into thinking multiplayer NWN is fun.

My apologies - I don't think this was there when I responded the first time.

Hardly smarmy - it was an honest question. You seem hell-bent on arguing that a character dying cannot be a "completion," for lack of a better word, of a CRPG; in short, all CRPGs must end with the PC winning somehow, even if that victory is merely surviving.

Given that I don't know you from Adam, it seemed a fair question; I don't know your CRPG or PnP experience, and it is possible, though unlikely, that you never had played PnP, or at least had limited experience with it.

In PnP, it is possible, and sometimes likely, for a PC to die, and for that death to be a meaningful part of the campaign. This, outside of Planescape (where the PC didn't really die anyway), is by and large not a part of single-player CRPGing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hmm.. Some fun thoughts from the peanut category.

Anyone who thinks NWN mods are limited to just hack n slash and buying things; obviously haven't tried looking for mods that do much more than that. It's a shame, really, they people have to spread falsehoods in some failed attempt to proof their view is right when it isn't.

Also, people now say providing two or so options is fine. Guess what? Many quests in the NWN OC already do this. And, no, this doens't mean I think the OC has as many options as Fallout or anthing gibberish like that; but it mostc ertainly provides role-playing choices. To say it doesn't either proves you are lying, playing devil's advocate, or didn't even play the game. 'Tis a shame people gotta spread rumours, myths, and innuendo.

Jed

Cipher
Elvenshae said:
Hardly smarmy - it was an honest question. You seem hell-bent on arguing that a character dying cannot be a "completion," for lack of a better word, of a CRPG; in short, all CRPGs must end with the PC winning somehow, even if that victory is merely surviving.
No, I'm not making that argument. I'm saying that NWN doesn't let you do this, or like you said, any CRPG to date. I don't think that dying as a way to complete the game, if done well, isn't valid. You said NWN lets one do this. It doesn't--plain and simple.
The comments regarding NWN are true only in the case of the official campaign. Many user-created modules have custom OnDeath() scripts, which do various things depending on what the module designer thinks is appropriate.
Great, but why can't Bioware include depth out of the box, which is the source of our ire here.
Not quite what I was referring to, Jed, but thanks for steering away from the l33t-speak. There is no reason that two people who disagree, even violently, cannot have a reasoned, civil discussion.
Incidentally, you might've received a less harsh welcoming from me if you hadn't already declared us "fools" on the Bio boards, so don't feign politeness now.

Good modules? Please recommend.

Also, do you play NWN online often? I'll come play with you and you can "show me the way."

DanakV

Novice
Pardon me for interjecting myself midstream into this discussion, but after having lurked for quite some time I finally decided that there was a point I would care to raise.

I think that all gamers truly interested in role-playing can agree with the majority of the standards which have been debated in this thread. More options are a good thing. Yes, consistency of setting (whether it be hard-coded by the designers or via assumed aliases of fellow players) is desirable; we all want immersion.

While I am not interested in commenting upon whatever utterances may have been quoted from Mr. Gaider, I think that I can see from where Elvenshae is basing his arguments.

NWN was quite unremarkable as a single-player CRPG experience. Other than serving as a showcase of the 3rd Edition Dungeons & Dragons ruleset, it did not have a lot going for it in relation to prior offerings. Yes, Fallout was undoubtedly a superior experience; I doubt any sane individual whom played both could claim otherwise.

What sets NWN apart is (dare I say it?) its multiplayer components. In this respect, I still feel that Bioware has crafted a ground-breaking title. Sure, a handful of other games have offered similar experiences in this respect, but not to the extent which this title has done so.

Quite a debate has begun here about the relative merits of single versus multiplayer in CRPGs (quite an interesting one for the most part as well). One oft-raised stigma of the Aurora engine is that it places too many limitations upon the actions of the players; this, the detractors seem to harp, prevents true role-playing.

Jed raises a very good point that (in the OC) you can scarcely do more than slay your enemies and purchase goods. However, the primary medium of role-playing is still present and has been neglected in prior posts: speech. Combine the spoken word with the flexibility afforded a clever scripter and much more than you would imagine is possible in NWN.

I can sympathize with Role-Player's reluctance to embrace this aspect due to the the lack of maturity displayed by the overwhelming majority of game players. Personally, I have the same difficulties in tracking down a worthy PnP gaming group though; I view the challenge of finding quality individuals for a NWN session in much the same fashion...just less inhibited by geographic limitations.

My apologies for such a lengthy post here, but it just seems to me that Elvenshae finds similar aspects of NWN to be worthy of a role-players time as I do myself. While I agree with nearly all of what has been stated in this thread regarding the single-player experience, I have yet to find a CRPG which can come close to the wonders of a good DM'ed module run with close friends.

For this, I can forgive the lackluster Official Campaign. Even Fallout would have been a remarkably different game if it had shipped with all the possibilities of NWN, no?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Elvenshae said:

Well for the part that touches me, i think we won't be agreeing on this one anytime soon :( I consider first and foremost losing in a videogame to be failing on my personal skill as a gamer, not as lack of skill of my character. There are very rare occasions in games where dying is the end, while still existing a continued story (Omikron: The Nomad Soul portrays this in a nice way. When you die, your character dies, but your soul will pass on to nearby bodies), but, for me, thats how i feel - permanent death in an RPG is a failing derived by me, not by my PC, thus, out of the intentions of the game.

In a single-player environment, when the PC is the *only* character that counts, this sort of ending almost always results in a reload. We all do it.

When its game over when they die, i know i do.

In multi-player situations, however, the *party* - you know, those guys you roleplay with - can continue on and successfully - however that is defined - complete a task. Your PC's death - though no doubt regrettable - can make that success possible. This sort of interaction, this ability to *roleplay* a heroic sacrifice, is, to my knowledge, entirely lacking in the single-player arena.

But even then, a party-based game where the PC is able to die and be resurrected by party members (and that it works) is hard to come by. And there are still some points where many games find convenient workarounds, or commit terrible flaws. In BG its mainly just about the PC, so that means that, despite of the party you invest time in, you will always have to reload when you die. Which is a pity, given the fact that when in posession of a high-level Cleric in the party, i can only resurrect others, not have them resurect me. Wizardry pulled it off as no character was a main character, which, while making party mechanics work, also has them fail because no party member will distinguish itself from the other, aside a statistcal spreadsheet, name and sound file (though they can perfectly resurect themselves and/or keep on carrying out an objective regardless of who died). NWN to me, managed to screw it up, by allowing you to die and having you "respawn" (at least it presented the choice to choose a penalty to XP and money, but given the fact both were easy to come by, specially money, there wasn't much challenge in it). Furthermore, in SP, henchmen don't resurrect you (yes, only one has the ability to do it, but she doesn't). It does succeed in the multiplayer aspect where if you die, others can resurect you, while you're in their party. But it still had to take it to multiplayer and not do it in SP :\

I won't discuss other games such as Fallout (where resurrection is impossible) or Planescape, for obvious specialized mechanics they have.

All else you said :)

Well, considering the potential danger of repeating myself, i believe i don't consider that "problem with multiplayer CRPGs is all the idiots with computers". Let me try to explain this in a better perspective (bare with me, its almost 1 A.M. where i live, and i have to write this in a hurry because at 2 A.M., i'll be seeing The Daily Show re-runs :D).

The reason i have a problem with people on online games is not necessarily how they write only, its the whole set of failures they commit by not adhering to the rules of the game, culminating in a conduct which does not help a game. Note - i don't consider myself an online roleplaying example by no means. While i don't type correctly in several occasions, i also don't pause in battle while being flayed at by enemies and type flourished text.

Like you said i mainly enjoy in-depth roleplaying experiences, ranging from vast gameworlds to detailed ones. I can lose myself in Morrowind's physical space just as much as i can lose myself in Arcanum's emulation of a reactive world where one can cause impact (and be recognized for it). I only expect however that there be a sense of credibility on all parts included in the games. If im playing Arcanum i'd probably dislike seeing a space shuttle, or would pose many questions as to the credibility of a possible existence of a Star Wars racial group similar to Chewbacca. I also won't expect NPCs to ask me things in a manner akin to fast-typing online players (meaning i'd probably would not understand if i was killed in the middle of a medieval square and an NPC shouted out "LOL!"), and neither will i expect a medieval-themed game in single player to present me with a black man asking me "Yo man, what the dilio?" (or however that's written).

Note however this isn't me hating anything beyond normalcy - one thing is to dislike things which don't make sense, the other is to dislike things which don't help maintain that sense, wheter its real or imaginative.

Point in case, the actions of the casual gamer. I would honestly prefer to play with people that knew how to behave according to the game. Unlike what you said, i don't ask others to share my views on anything - having a group of adventurers without their own personalities would be very uninspiring; and be it in games or debates, i totally welcome different input. However, the afforementioned casual gamer is not interested if the game is an RPG to the full extent of the word, or wheter it has rules. The RPG genre has long become bastardized to accomodate the "casual gamer", and in turn the casual gamer accomodated itself to it. Many online players aren't playing an RPG because of what the game can give them in its full sense, they're only there to go out there and kill things and increase in levels. When its an FPS its to get better weapons and shoot things; when its a Strategy game its to handle resources and kill things; when its an RPG its to go out there, kill things, level up and choose what skill to increase. Most players are enthraled by the basic mechanics of the game, and can't see past them. Thats my main problem.

Maybe im too anal, and maybe i just have a problem of looking at a game in its whole entirety instead of just the one or two thigns i like most - who knows? :( Anyway...

When i used to play PnP, i had a group which could put their real life problems aside, plus any adversities among themselves, and join together to enter a gameworld where adventuring and all it entailed was a rewarding thing. Each of us had their own personalities, or created knew ones when playing their own characters. Again, each had its own views of the game, they didn't had to conform to mine, and neither did i conformed to theirs - different personalities or enacting different personalities helped the game, and us. Furthermore, the rules, the essence of the game, was explained, and we knew how we could, and should act. Furthermore were played together, meaning its a more personal experience, with a level of respect between gamers participating in a collective sport, of sorts.

Now, how does this translate to multiplayer?

For one, gamers aren't together. Thats the most important thing. They can talk together, they can act together, they can move together, but they are not there. Anonimity over the net causes a problem, which is players not really caring that much for having offended a fellow player. In a party-based PnP session, we can discuss in between us how loot can be divided - in MP, a gamer can simply steal it, transfer it to someone he knows, than that someone will give it to the other player with another character (this was also quite visible in NWN).

Second, because they are not together, they don't think together. Now in PnP you could have a hireable NPC or party member have a hidden agenda (though this also happens in CRPG NPC's), so it'd be wrong to state human players could not have their own agendas - however, personal agendas coupled with the fact players are most of the time there for themselves and not for the group is bad.

Not only that, its hard to have online players work towards a single goal. Unless your party is actually comprised of people who are willing to play succesfully and in the benefit of the greater good, most people in your party will do things of their own accord. I could recount NWN experiences where i lead people trough victorious battles because they listened to me, and recount other times where they all died because they didn't listened (and they died more than they survived). In dangerous areas i usually said people to travel together. Of course, i said together, and already most players were already in the other side, leaving weaker characters to die, because they flat out didn't care. I don't want them to have extensive battle tactics, i just wanted them to play for the group :(

This is kind of like the "being evil" problems. To many people being evil is just whacking peasants and civilians so they don't care about acting in really evil ways. In the same sense, people in online games, in groups, tend to be machos in battle, forgetting they also earn experience and can survive longer if they work together (the lone wolf ideology is very evident in multiplayer online games, specially visible in shooters, where its all about the snipers).

Third, because the majority are more interested in the RPGish gimmick of levels and skills, and not in the whole game itself, they tend to forget they're in another place. Meaning, they will not care if its out of character to use slang or insults in the course of dialogue. Another aspect of not being interested in the game itself, is letting real life issues pop up in the middle of sessions. Its the most common thing, seeing medievel characters talk about their Pentiums, and their homeworks, or how their girlfriends dumped them or how the Nicks trounced the Lakers. Many just use online-capable RPGs as a mix between levelling up an IRC simulators (which is obviously not what they're for).

These are mainly the reasons why i state the majority of players should stop and self-integrate themselves better in online worlds - and they bring down the enjoyment when put together. In a single-player CRPG, the cohesion of a party-based gameplay is achieved alongside with a gameworld and reactivity to what i do. My pre-programmed party NPCs can handle better many situations that human versions over the net cannot, and will never say :( or :) or something like that (i doubt they could talk trough rebuses like the PS:T Dabus).

So, again, between a solid (yet fixed) single player experience which provides good credibility and flow of its setting, and a fluid (yet chaotic) multiplayer experience which doesn't provide that good credibility, i think i'll take SP any day over MP. This isn't to say i can't enjoy a MP game once in a while, though: i just have to enter it with a different mind set and expect, beforehand, that it won't be as good as advertised :D

The kicker, however, is would Arcanum have been a better game if multiplayer - and the ability to find decent roleplaying partners - had been better implemented? It's an option, and, to my mind, more options is always better, all else being equal.

The counter kicker however, in Arcanums case is, if the combat system had been only turn-based in MP, i'd probably play it more, regardless if MP in itself was better with whatever conditions. I heavilly disliked the realtime combat in Arcanum's MP. Too hectic, too broken. With mod-making ability, Arcanum's sole reason as to why i didn't played it online was combat.

[Note: Sorry for any incomplete sentences, i'll shall return tomorrow :) Now its Jon Stewart time!!]
[EDIT: Fixed a typo]

Visceris

Liturgist
What I hate most of all is when peeps start criticizing NWN its supporters and fanbois state "PLAY THE MODS! PLAY THE MODS!" as if it is some sort of mantra. BIG FREAKING DEAL! Arcanum has mods, BG has mods, IWD has mods, MORROWIND has mods, Dungeon Siege has mods, Half-life has Mods, and so forth and so on.

I DID NOT PAY $60 TO PLAY MODS!

I don't care how good or bad they are. They mean nothing to the value of the game for only what the developers put into it for I am PAYING THE DEVELOPERS for the game, not the modders. I expect a good game from the people I am giving MY MONEY to.

Mods are IRRELEVANT.

DanakV

Novice
I understand your point of view entirely, Visceris. But what you have to bear in mind is that, for many projects, those other features are a part of the game. Concentrating on solely the single-player aspect of a program which had invested so much energy into multiplayer during the development cycle is a bit unfair. Of course the single-player experience will not be the same as it would have been otherwise.

There is a very large difference between games which release some of their developer tools as an afterthought to be puzzled out by the community and a game of the scope of NWN. I would even think it safe to say that the majority of the resources on NWN were spent on the multiplayer and builder aspects; a bit unusual for an RPG.

Now if you wish to resent the developers for choosing to create such a game in lieu of churning out the quintessential single-player product, that's fair. Personally, I really wish that they had forgone a half-hearted official campaign and had concentrated on enriching the other aspects. Unfortunately, I doubt our current market would support such an endeavor so it is a necessary compromise.

If you were aware of the nature of NWN and chose to purchase it in hopes that it would offer a single-player experience the equal to Fallout (or even Baldur's Gate II, at that), then you really can't complain when it did not live up your expectations. Constructive criticism can help a developer willing to listen to a certain extent, but NWN just was incapable of being that kind of game.

If, on the other hand, you were unaware of the dual nature of NWN and did not realize that it would place so little focus on the single-player campaign, then you have my sympathy. As I had followed this title closely for years prior to its release it would be difficult for me to make any kind of guess as to how exactly the game was marketed. To me, it seemed obvious that it was toted as a builder's dream...but I could have easily have biased by knowledge gleaned elsewhere.

Ultimately, I think most people would have been happier if the developer would have released the toolset independantly of playable content. Do you think that such a project could actually work though? I have my doubts.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elvenshae said:
The problem, however, is that we are still dealing with subjective lines: how much leeway is necessary in the programmed responses to player actions before an adventure game becomes a roleplaying game?
It depends on a game, a setting, etc. Obviously I'd expect from a DnD game to have choices that reflect alignments, and gameplay options that allow you to progress using your class skills and abilities but not like Bio did when they tweaked a fireball to become a lockpick :shock:

And why can't a well-scripted multi-player game be considered roleplaying, though a well-scripted single-player game can?
I never said that, but can't say that I recall a game that had both good multiplayer and gameplay depth. Usually it's one of them. NWN is a good example of that.

As for your arguments about mods, I can't comment on that, as I haven't tried one for a very long time. However, our discussion was not about multiplayer quality of NWN but about Gaider's comments on design choices and such and refered to Bio's RPG design "philosophy". Besides, isn't NWN being billed as a great RPG instead of a "make and play your own mod" thingy?

Visceris

Liturgist
DanakV said:
I understand your point of view entirely, Visceris. But what you have to bear in mind is that, for many projects, those other features are a part of the game. Concentrating on solely the single-player aspect of a program which had invested so much energy into multiplayer during the development cycle is a bit unfair. Of course the single-player experience will not be the same as it would have been otherwise.

Multiplayer is irrelevant to me. For a game, specifically a CRPG, it needs to have solid single player aspects for me to consider it good. I play computer games to get away from people. If I want to MP DnD I'll play PnP.

There is a very large difference between games which release some of their developer tools as an afterthought to be puzzled out by the community and a game of the scope of NWN. I would even think it safe to say that the majority of the resources on NWN were spent on the multiplayer and builder aspects; a bit unusual for an RPG.

More than unusual.

Now if you wish to resent the developers for choosing to create such a game in lieu of churning out the quintessential single-player product, that's fair. Personally, I really wish that they had forgone a half-hearted official campaign and had concentrated on enriching the other aspects. Unfortunately, I doubt our current market would support such an endeavor so it is a necessary compromise.

If they did one of the other, it would have been good enough for me. If they are going to make an OCright they should not have done so at all and I would have saved $60.

If you were aware of the nature of NWN and chose to purchase it in hopes that it would offer a single-player experience the equal to Fallout (or even Baldur's Gate II, at that), then you really can't complain when it did not live up your expectations. Constructive criticism can help a developer willing to listen to a certain extent, but NWN just was incapable of being that kind of game.

I wasn't expecting a game to be on par of Fallout or BG2, but I was expecting it to be at least on par with BG1 and not a Diablo hack fest that it is.

If, on the other hand, you were unaware of the dual nature of NWN and did not realize that it would place so little focus on the single-player campaign, then you have my sympathy. As I had followed this title closely for years prior to its release it would be difficult for me to make any kind of guess as to how exactly the game was marketed. To me, it seemed obvious that it was toted as a builder's dream...but I could have easily have biased by knowledge gleaned elsewhere.

I didn't follow NWN development religiously and hell I didn't even bother posting at the Bioware forums til after it was released.

Ultimately, I think most people would have been happier if the developer would have released the toolset independantly of playable content. Do you think that such a project could actually work though? I have my doubts.

I would be happier for I wouldn't have wastedt my money on it.

Voss

Erudite
Lets not forget that claiming NWN is the best computerized version of 3E, is like claiming Jewel is the best modern American poet. (And people have claimed this, based on sales) There aren't exactly a lot of competitors. IWD2, which is a very hacked out version (and in mid-development) of the IE and 2nd edition rules. And well, POR2, which left out so many aspects of 3e... that well,I'm not even sure it qualifies. Except possibly as a failure.

When theres a dozen or so implementation of 3e (well 3.5 now, since new licenses aren't going to deal with 3.0), then people can start crowing about this or that one being the best. But not under current circumstances.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well... at this point NWN is the best 3E implementation by the rules. However, this is one aspect that TOEE should crush it in. Theys eem to be doing a greta job with the rules implentation on that game. We shall see..

Voss

Erudite
Yes, but thats just it. There isn't much to compare it to. And even when TOEE comes out, there still won't, because it'll just be NWN vs. TOEE. (I think we can automatically consider IWD2 and POR2 as the losers in this discussion- KOTOR is a better representation of D&D rules than those two, simply because of the d20 base).

And in some ways I'm wondering if it matters much (and perhaps I'm suddenly being too reasonable) but fun game might be slightly more important than faithful to a rules-set that isn't going to work perfectly in a different medium anyway.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You sound like Sawyer. Don't let the others around here hear ya see that. :lol: Actually, IWD2 didn't do a bad job with the 3E rules.

Section8

Cipher
Even if you strip NWN back to it's basic concept, there are some fairly dramatic questions that are easy to ask, but not easy to answer. Let's start with the concept.

"3E D&D presented in an electronic medium as opposed to Pen & Paper"

That's about it. Now onto the questions.

Can such a thing be sold on it's own merits?

Bioware's answer is obviously no, and that's why they chose to include an exceptionally poor single player module and bullshit the consumer into believing that aspect of the game was worthwhile.

What is gained through the conversion from PnP to CRPG?

This varies, depending on the consumer, but no matter it adds to the game, it can barely make up for the compromises that must be made. Which brings me to my next question.

What compromises and problems will occur due to the conversion?

This list is hefty, so I'll just list the obvious. First of all, the scope of choice becomes severly limited. The DM will never be able to account for dramatic events and choices as well as a PnP DM. Secondly, the fact that all communication must be funnelled firstly through a keyboard and then through various comm lines means that the simplest method of evoking RP and character is now severely hobbled. Thirdly, the player's imagination is not fed and fueled, it is confronted, and blinded. Etc

Now considering these points, comes the last nasty question

Why bother making this game at all?

Which isn't something anyone wants to answer, so we compromise...

If we're going to make this game, what can we do to make it worthwhile in comparison to it's superior source?

And when considering this, my answer is providing a single player with the content and game experience that a PnP group would usually provide. ie The computer is the DM and NPCs. It plays to the strength of a computer, and overcomes the most difficult part of PnP. Getting a likeminded group of individuals together at regular times to play.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
DanakV said:

Well i see it like this. 1,225,105 registered users (given Bioware's latest count) probably don't spend all their time in the game itself (in fact, at this exact hour, only 2367 of those 1,225,105 are playing online). It would be useful if Bioware kept track of who's modding the game, though :wink: Regardless, to your question, there are, on nwvault.ign.com, about:

2521 Modules (not forgetting the occasional module on someone's webpage)
291 Creatures
2174 Hakpaks
205 Models
305 Prefabs
1784 Portraits
1477 Scripts
189 Sounds
24 Textures

And also considering that NWN is not the most played online RPG out there (i believe Diablo 2 is), i think i see where the community is spending its time on. Modding, not gaming.

So yes, i'd say that, with more work in the entire sense of creating something, of building something, and forgetting the requests of fans to include an SP campaigh (because as i recall the original project was just centered around the building abilities, and the inclusion of some MP modules to see how it worked, not an SP OC), the product itself would probably have the same impact. In fact, it might even have more, given it would not let down people who severely disliked the OC's fatal shortcomings, and would look at it for what it should be, a big construction set, not a flawed SP game with some tools to cover it up.

So, yes.

Jed

Cipher
DanakV said:
Jed raises a very good point that (in the OC) you can scarcely do more than slay your enemies and purchase goods. However, the primary medium of role-playing is still present and has been neglected in prior posts: speech. Combine the spoken word with the flexibility afforded a clever scripter and much more than you would imagine is possible in NWN.
Ah-ha! I've been waiting for someone to bring this up, as it is, for me, one of the worst aspects of NWN online. I'm a fast typer. Seriously. I do data entry for a living, and I can easily type 60 words a minute, and yet, it's never fast enough. There's a reason people type inane shit when they play online games, it's too fucking fast paced. In a PnP session, I might be able to say, "Hark friends, I sense the presence of orcs!" whereas in NWN I'm lucky if I can get off "orks north!" before either everyone starts running to hack away or the orcs are on us hacking at me while I'm trying to type. It's just ludicrous. That and the fact of no visual cues, as are present in face-to-face conversations (like PnP), often means that two people are typing different discussions at the same time, aren't paying attention, misunderstanding, etc. All the problems of real life barriers to communication, multiplied by the mediation of the machine. No wonder "l33t sp33k" is the lingua machina.

So again I say (to no Bio-defender in particular), "NWN on-line is not a roleplaying experience, unless you consider killing everything and buying stuff to be your role." But, you say, "It is the best we have." To which I respond, "That doesn't mean it's good...or even worthwhile. But if you enjoy it, knock yourself out. Just don't expect me to buy in."

Note: Which is not to say that speech doesn't work in other paradigms. MUDs are the closest I've come to a good PnP session, and are giants of roleplaying when compared to vapid hack-fests like NWN, which is little more than Diablo with pretension.

To be fair, NWN in MP with a good DM can actually be alright. I've had some really atrocious experiences, especially on the default lobbies, but Neverwinter Connections is pretty nice. I've only played 4 games there, but out of those only one ever really got out of hand. The rest were pretty fun. It's not always hack and slash, either, there's usually plenty of time to talk, and you can usually get some nice teamwork when there are combats. To be honest, it's not that hard to type during combat, either, since it's so automated. :wink:

There goes one of the only nice things I'll ever say about NWN.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Walks with the Snails said:
To be fair, NWN in MP with a good DM can actually be alright. I've had some really atrocious experiences, especially on the default lobbies, but Neverwinter Connections is pretty nice. I've only played 4 games there, but out of those only one ever really got out of hand. The rest were pretty fun. It's not always hack and slash, either, there's usually plenty of time to talk, and you can usually get some nice teamwork when there are combats. To be honest, it's not that hard to type during combat, either, since it's so automated. :wink:

There goes one of the only nice things I'll ever say about NWN.

*looks around*

I agree.

Voss

Erudite
Volourn said:
You sound like Sawyer. Don't let the others around here hear ya see that. :lol: Actually, IWD2 didn't do a bad job with the 3E rules.

For a rushed, mid-development change, no, it didn't. But it isn't all that accurate, and something designed to be 3e from the get-go would do a better job on the rules part.

But yes- I see Sawyer's point on some things. Though I personally think he should give up on the BIS forum... just post that he's getting to work on things and so won't be able to keep consistently posting on the board. That way he can ignore the riots that break out every time he opens his mouth, and actually get on with his job. Why he wastes his time arguing with people (and its usually the same people, over and over again) who are up front about the fact that they are never going to allow themselves to be convinced by any sort of discussion is beyond me.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DanakV said:

I'm going to disagree with this. The only reason people are praising the editor is because nearly everything else the game ships with is bunk. Morrowind has a great editor, but you don't see their fanbase running around talking about how great Morrowind is just because it has an editor.

Even still, the editors aren't that great and you still get to deal with the issues present in NWN. A lot of the interesting modules that were in the works for NWN got canned because the editors couldn't handle what they wanted to do and the bugs present in NWN required needless work arounds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom