Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dune 2000

Joghurt

Augur
I remember playing it around year 2000, but it just seemed like a C&C clone. I liked Dune 2 better. I haven't played it's 3D counterpart Emperor: Battle for Dune though. Any thoughts on that game? Considering the fact that it's 3D and according to wikipedia it was made by a studio called "Intelligent Games" not Westwood. I imagine it was crap.

And I'm with Skyway here. Tiberian Sun is still my favorite Westwood game. It was well balanced and campaign was pretty interesting. The cutscenes were awesome. Not the ones with acting but the ones showing different units killing and blowing stuff. In 1999 they blew my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpD6MS89LzM

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Emperor was quite nice, I liked it for having diverse units with different uses and rather nice overall combat. Was fun, would reccomend it. Nothing really ambitious though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
Really? I can see hundreds of units at 1680x1050 resolution in the game, unlike 640x400 in C&C.
Hah, you wish. That was C&C Gold, the Win95 port. Original C&C under DOS ran at 320x200. You could see even less.

Joghurt said:
I haven't played it's 3D counterpart Emperor: Battle for Dune though. Any thoughts on that game? Considering the fact that it's 3D and according to wikipedia it was made by a studio called "Intelligent Games" not Westwood. I imagine it was crap.
I thought it was made by Westwood. But yeah it is crap. Their 3D engine was in its infancy (EA reused it in Generals, where it still looked like shit) and it shows. I don't remember much of the actual game, except there was a nice branching in the Harkonnen campaign, though it's made kinda pointless because except for the one mission nothing changes afterwards except the cinematics. But it just felt like an inferior 3D version of Dune 2000, itself an inferior version of Dune 2.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Joghurt said:
I haven't played it's 3D counterpart Emperor: Battle for Dune though. Any thoughts on that game?
It's made by Westwood. Play it. It's cool. The only problem is that Westwood's second travel into 3D (1st one was Dune2000 for PS1) wasn't too ideal and units have problems with pathfinding but other than that it's a proper Dune 2 sequel and a proper C&C game.

Sceptic said:
Their 3D engine was in its infancy (EA reused it in Generals, where it still looked like shit) and it shows.

Are you kidding? Generals looked top-notch when they came out.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Are you kidding? Generals looked top-notch when they came out.
Maybe it's the art design I didn't like, but I hated how Generals looked. It was also a tremendous resource hog and ran SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY if your hardware wasn't top notch. And I distinctly remember the water effects looking really, really shit, especially at land-water edges.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'll agree with what has been said here already. Dune 2000 only upgraded the graphics and the interface and added awesome cutscenes, but everything else was either downgraded or left the same.

I never completed Dune 2 with the Harkonnen, oddly enough. Sure, the Devastator had big guns, but it was too costly and bulky compared to both the Sonic Tank and the Deviator...or the Siege Tank, for that matter. The Sonic Tank pwns everything in both Dune 2 and 2000, while I only used the Deviator to take out Harkonnen Devastators, as I used the split-second of control to activate their self-destruct.

To use Ornis to any effect, you "only" had to take out all the rocket turrets and almost all of the missile tanks at the enemy base. No SAM capability = Ornis rape base.

What surprised me the most was that I never saw the AI rebuild lost structures, unless I captured a structure first. Then when the enemy (or myself) would demolish that structure, the AI would suddenly start rebuilding it and any adjacent buildings.

And I took the sweet time to shoot at sandworms until their health reached 50%. Then they'd bugger off and leave me alone for the rest of the map.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sceptic said:
It was also a tremendous resource hog and ran SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY if your hardware wasn't top notch.
So maybe this is the problem eh?
BTW Generals worked perfectly on my Athlon XP 2500+ and R9000Pro at the time. I really liked all the hollywood-ish shit in them with constant xxxploshuns

And I distinctly remember the water effects looking really, really shit, especially at land-water edges.
Hmm I remember I liked water. For a non-shader water it looked pretty cool. But I don't remember the water as clearly now

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Unkillable Cat said:
I only used the Deviator to take out Harkonnen Devastators, as I used the split-second of control to activate their self-destruct.
Deviator was awesomely powerful if abused (and boy could you abuse it). Mission 7 with Ordos, against Harkonnen, was one of my favorites because it's the only #7 with no ornis (YAY!) and raping enemy base by turning their Devastators and self-destructing them was SWEET.

To use Ornis to any effect, you "only" had to take out all the rocket turrets and almost all of the missile tanks at the enemy base. No SAM capability = Ornis rape base.
Yeah, but by the time I've destroyed all their rocket turrets I'm already raping their base...

Tails

Arbiter
Anyone knows how to make Dune 2000 playable on LAN/Hamachi? I've tried this patch but in reality it's not working for me. Ares there any private servers for D2K that replace Westwood servers? there is a battle.net alternative which later renamed and working with C&C games, but I can't remind myself how it was named...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tails said:
there is a battle.net alternative which later renamed and working with C&C games, but I can't remind myself how it was named...
PvPGN :smug:

Doubt it supports any of the C&C1 engine games though. Since XP multiplayer in them is kinda borked.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I was using it a few years ago to play Red Alert 2 in coop - no quantum physics level knowledge required really.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a unofficial patch for dune 2 that fixes parts of the AI that were buggy (& other errors).

And i know it's popamole, but i would love that if it added mouse multi selection and groups.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom