Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dune 2000

Exmit

Scholar
I'm gonna give a go and replay it , anyone liked it ?

worm.jpg

Exmit

Scholar
I might finish the ordos campaign for the first time :).

Always went for harkonnen because of the devastators :smug:

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
I played Atreides because I always play the good guys. I remember being pretty disappointed when I discovered that neither ornithopters nor fremen were player controllable.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Ornithopters definitely were -- they were built at the Tech Factory, I think. Fremen were in but they may only have shown up as allies with the enemy. It's been so long I can't remember.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Dune 2000 is OK. Not as good as following Westwood's games but still an example of how remakes should be done. Maybe I'll replay it too.

BTW isn't that screenshot fake or something? I certainly don't remember the game having all those terrain soft-shadows, although I've seen a couple of screenshots like that over years.

Exmit

Scholar
I'm pretty sure that flying units and the worm have the shadows.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Damn, I need to play Dune again. I haven't played it since I've been a kid.

DraQ

Arcane
It was mostly ok, but it was barely anything more than an update of Dune 2 in terms of graphics, sound and interface.

It had more emphasis on storyline and pretty cool cutscenes, on the other hand it lacked 'mentat' buton we all knew and loved from Dune 2, plus it made absolutely no progress in term of gameplay and mechanics.

m_s0

Arcane
Dune 2000 was a fun game. Not groundbreaking but it worked for me. Also, great cutscenes.

Murk

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
They do. But not the terrain (not like those huge soft shadows at least)

There is one thing I always liked about Westwood games that games of its direct competitor - Blizzard lacked.

The lack of unit limit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opwa6Y_10tU

That video reminded me of one of my favourite features in westwood games - the way 5 infantry would stack in a single tile. I can't tell you why I loved it, but lord did I love it.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
ScottishMartialArts said:
Ornithopters definitely were -- they were built at the Tech Factory, I think. Fremen were in but they may only have shown up as allies with the enemy. It's been so long I can't remember.
Neither were controllable in Dune 2. The ornis would go and attack on their own and would get shot down in seconds - utterly pointless. Whereas ornis attacking YOU could inflict severe damage before your stupid-ass turrets shot them down. The Fremen were actually very, very powerful because for some reason they were completely ignored by enemy turrets, so they could wipe out every single enemy unit guarding the base eventually. Unfortunately they never attacked buildings. Oddly, when you were playing against Atreides and they use Fremen your turrets had no trouble killing them.

On the subject of Dune 2000, didn't like it much. It was not as fun as C&C or the original Dune 2 for some reason. Cutscenes were great but that was about it. Music was also a step down from Dune 2's (I was hoping for high quality mixes of the original tunes)

Murk

Arcane
DraQ said:
Because it made sense (if you used tiles anyway, that is)?

Sure, but I meant from a non mechanical standpoint. I remember hand picking units to try to get missile or grenade infantry in the middle surrounded by riflemen on the outside.

chzr

Erudite
As said, it's not as good c&c, mainly because it has rather bland unit diversity and mission design from dune 2 (which worked great in dune 2 but worse in a c&c game).

On the other hand, if you want some c&c gameplay that is not red alert / tiberian dawn, it is actually very enjoyable.

id' say :pete:

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Well, you could command a bunch of units in Dune 2000, while you only could move one unit at a time in Dune 2. I remember how awesome the selection box was when C&C came along.

oscar

Arcane
Did picking different territories on the map before missions ever change anything significantly?

Lightknight

Liturgist
Dune 2000 is OK. Not as good as following Westwood's games
Which following games ? Original C&C was the pinnacle of Westwood RTS's, the rest of the road is downhill from there.

Dune2K was average in play, but it gave me this "dramatic" feeling, as everything in the game gives the appearance of being in slight slo-mo, like in some recent WW2 movie or something, and that somehow appeals to me a little. Especially combined with rather pretty (and also in slo-mo) explosions and great soundtrack.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Tiberian Sun was the most advanced Westwood's RTS. It had the best balance out of all Westwood's games and AI wasn't too stupid either. The campaign was also better than constant "destroy the whole enemy base". Granted TS had enough of these missions too which I dislike. Also the engine of TS was great, I liked what tiberium life forms added to gameplay.
Original C&C was more of a pinnacle of "BUILD MORE MAMMOTH TANKS MORE MORE"

Lightknight

Liturgist
Original C&C was more of a pinnacle of "BUILD MORE MAMMOTH TANKS MORE MORE"
Hey, at least in original C&C i could actually see more than two tanks on same screen, unlike TS.

Also the engine of TS was great
The only great thing about it was all the lying Westwood did, oh it will be 3D and it will have terraforming and object destruction and physics and season simulation...*spit*

AI wasn't too stupid either
AI ? In a Westwood game ?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Lightknight said:
Hey, at least in original C&C i could actually see more than two tanks on same screen, unlike TS.
Really? I can see hundreds of units at 1680x1050 resolution in the game, unlike 640x400 in C&C.

The only great thing about it was all the lying Westwood did, oh it will be 3D and it will have terraforming and object destruction and physics and season simulation...*spit*
Care to provide links? I would want to read that. Also thankfully it wasn't 3D.

AI ? In a Westwood game ?
Yep. Here it at least attacked your harvesters on purpose and knew how to build defences more or less.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom