Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dead Island 2

orcinator

Liturgist
So is this just the (shitty) first one with shinier graphics?
Dying Light tried to avoid the problem of having to fight slow boring enemies by letting you parkour around them, what does this do?

Dying Light tried to avoid the problem of having to fight slow boring enemies by letting you parkour around them, what does this do?
Drops shitty one liners and cringe quips every 30 seconds so you hope to die to the zombies.

More seriously from what I've seen it gives you a mutant berserk ability that charges up so you can kill a lot of the fodder enemies fast.

Latelistener

Arcane
Coming to PC Steam on 22 Apr

Played it for a bit.

- Gore system is something I haven't seen before anywhere. They managed to make it very detailed, but also not disgusting
- I haven't seen ranged weapons, but melee combat is good
- There is a lot of emergent gameplay when it comes to combat. Reminds me a bit of Dark Messiah. You can pour liquids anywhere you want to create traps. You can even wash other liquids with water (including blood) if needed
- The game feels more linear and the maps are a lot smaller than the first game, but much more detailed. The first map is probably 1/4 of the beach area in Dead Island
- Movement is much more fluid than the first Dead Island, just no parkour
- Graphics, sound and music are all very good and it also performs very well: 4K with FSR on 3070 Ti with 60fps, but afaik it can be played even on 1060 in 1080p
- I had a lot of crashes on the workbench screen. Some say you need to disable FSR. There is a mod that replaces it with DLSS, but it still crashes for me
- You still pay money to workbenches for repairing your stuff :lol:
- Writing is generally okay for 2023, with the exception of main characters. Amy's one-liners are terrible and I'm sure other characters aren't much better. Dead Island protags were mostly silent and sometimes less is more
- So far leveling and skill system were meh and modifying weapons is a lot more interesting
- The game never takes itself too seriously, but knows about it

Overall feels like an accomplishment for Dambuster Studio (former Crytek UK). I would be a shame if layoffs from Embracer will butcher the studio. I feel like they could do even better.

Also, they hired a studio who specializes in TV show openings to create one for DI2:

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The Irish rocker chick had some funny one-liners. This was better than it had any right to be but I still got bored of it early on. Probably because I was playing solo. The game was clearly designed with coop in mind, but if a game needs multiplayer to be fun then it was probably never worth it in the first place. It's probably a solid :3.5/5: if you're playing with bros. I gave it the bonus .5 point for the dropkick attack which never got old.

orcinator

Liturgist
I don't know how you can say that, for the few hours I've played it was some of the stiffest, shittiest melee combat I've ever seen in an FPS, I'd take the "gun with a range of 1m" melee weapons from classic shooters over something that locks you into an animation so much.

The game was clearly designed with coop in mind, but if a game needs multiplayer to be fun then it was probably never worth it in the first place. It's probably a solid :3.5/5: if you're playing with bros.
It seems to be more of the Borderlands type of game that becomes less fun with bros because now you can infinitely revive each other and remove any sort of challenge, leaving only the grind of bashing through even fatter HP sponges and yelling "4 str 4 stam Leather Belt?!" when a new piece of crap drops on the ground.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
I don't know how you can say that, for the few hours I've played it was some of the stiffest, shittiest melee combat I've ever seen in an FPS, I'd take the "gun with a range of 1m" melee weapons from classic shooters over something that locks you into an animation so much.
The feeling of impact and damage model are much more important to me. Also, you usually locked into animation only while using heavy attacks. I do think it could've been better and I don't want to convince you that it's actually better than you think it is. If you don't like it, you don't like it.

It seems to be more of the Borderlands type of game that becomes less fun with bros because now you can infinitely revive each other and remove any sort of challenge, leaving only the grind of bashing through even fatter HP sponges and yelling "4 str 4 stam Leather Belt?!" when a new piece of crap drops on the ground.
When I died I usually just respawned nearby. Not even sure whether you even lose something or not. The game does feel a lot harder than the first one and forces you to use the environment.

The reason I usually don't like playing with other people is because they rush everything. Even Borderlands was a torture for me. Can't even imagine playing an actual RPG in co-op.

DemonKing

Arcane
This just shadow dropped on XBox GamePass.

PC version is still exclusive to Epic until late April though.

d1r

Single handedly funding SMTVI
Patron
Jesus christ, what happened to the cast of this game?

Original:
Dead-Island-2-Wallpaper.jpg

And now we get an english dyke, random ganja man, asian woman (who has a leg prothesis, get the Portal2TM reference?), beefed up latinx, white man (wow) and ... wait for it ...
NyxvwRk.jpg

wait for it ...
dahahaahahaahahahahahahaa... a tranny-looking liberal arts student!
IPHR6Tt.jpg

Fuck this industry man...
A reminder that they wokefied the cast, and therefore not to buy it.

Latelistener

Arcane
If you play solo, only one character survives or at least, as far as I know, others don't appear in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom