Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company of Heroes 3 - set in the Mediterranean theatre

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
In 2022 "Developer: Relic" means something like, "Publisher: Kalypso" or "Developer: Bioware"

DemonKing

Arcane
In 2022 "Developer: Relic" means something like, "Publisher: Kalypso" or "Developer: Bioware"
Not entirely fair - I thought Age of Empires IV was an above average effort. Not perfect by any means but I'd still trust them more to produce something decent with CoH3 than I would modern-day Bioware to produce a good ME or DA4.

jesus christ, the range is ridiculous--- everything is right on top of each other, tanks and artillery and anti-tank guns are like 20 yards away and the troops are out in the open with these heavies, all of them just blasting away (I guess they are managing their HP bars and not worried about being shot)...meanwhile guys literally parachute right down on top of the entire mess..looks totally silly, they are trying to turn WW2 into Cape shit or something, really dumb loooking

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
Damn - I was looking forward to some nu-COH action this year and over the Xmas break.

kris

Arcane

jesus christ, the range is ridiculous--- everything is right on top of each other, tanks and artillery and anti-tank guns are like 20 yards away and the troops are out in the open with these heavies, all of them just blasting away (I guess they are managing their HP bars and not worried about being shot)...meanwhile guys literally parachute right down on top of the entire mess..looks totally silly, they are trying to turn WW2 into Cape shit or something, really dumb loooking

yeah. i had a laugh when I saw the artilllery shoot their payload 20 meters, looked like someone throwing a grenade.

Drakortha

Liturgist
COH1 was incredibly realistic when it came out, it's a shame the series isn't evolving at all. But that's the industry in a nutshell now..

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Exactly, back then I was shocked to see that infantry could actually take cover behind stuff, cannon shells could bounce off of tanks sometimes and side and rear armor was actually weak. This in itself was a huge change from the usual "stand in the open and shoot at each other until somebody explodes" style combat that was the RTS standard until then.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Exactly, back then I was shocked to see that infantry could actually take cover behind stuff, cannon shells could bounce off of tanks sometimes and side and rear armor was actually weak. This in itself was a huge change from the usual "stand in the open and shoot at each other until somebody explodes" style combat that was the RTS standard until then.

I want to see an evolution on the formula where you give orders to squads as you do in COH, but there's an AI involved with the infantry. They would react to situations themselves by taking cover when their life depended on it, hitting the dirt, experiencing fear and going into shock etc or rescuing fellow soldiers. But how it is now they don't really do anything without being told. They will stand out in the open as they get machine gunned and won't flee until you tell them to (they will get pinned but its more of a gamestate)

Last edited:

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Wrong there is no side armor in Coh 1 only front and back armour the side one counts as front armor. They added side armor simulation in Coh 2.

DemonKing

Arcane
Multiplayer technical playtest is out - so far I'm liking it. Every faction gets three "battlegroups" to pick from that give additional powers/call ins. It runs pretty well but I wouldn't say it looks substantially better than previous instalments although there are some nice features like when a tank drives through foliage it gets covered in branches and leaves.

I tried the DAK and Wehrmacht so far. Wehrmacht seems pretty straight forward but DAK a bit more fiddly. Will try Allies out later this afternoon.

Last edited:

Alpharius

Scholar
Saw an upgrade for germans that gives veterancy 1 to all infantry. Not sure if there is one for vet 2 and 3 though. If there is then it would be similar to coh1, like the player losing squads is less fucked if he has all the upgrades. And a bunch of vet 3 bazooka squads will probably rape all tanks with ease if they are not microed.
Played one game and managed to humiliate my opponent by parking a bunch of tanks in his base after destroying all his tanks. :smug:

DemonKing

Arcane
Saw an upgrade for germans that gives veterancy 1 to all infantry. Not sure if there is one for vet 2 and 3 though.
It's just for vet 1 but also increases the rate units gain experience.

I like some of the little fixes they did in this game like being able to retreat directly from buildings and auto-reinforcing at base.

Drakortha

Liturgist
Saw an upgrade for germans that gives veterancy 1 to all infantry. Not sure if there is one for vet 2 and 3 though.
I like some of the little fixes they did in this game like being able to retreat directly from buildings and auto-reinforcing at base.

I also like how squads will now find the quickest path by auto-vaulting over fences. The more a strategy game works things out for me without any input, the better. I just wish they'd add the option to have the game play itself completely so I can just watch.

DemonKing

Arcane
I just wish they'd add the option to have the game play itself completely so I can just watch.
That's what You Tube and Twitch are for...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Infantry could take cover in Empire total war. And there was an old game where tank armor was different from front and from sides and back. IIRC it might be still available for free as a promo for its less well made sequel. But I forgot its name.

Best simulation of tank armor is probably in Steel panthers games.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Started to play the MP play test. Gotta say that the art style feels like a downgrade in comparison to CoH2. I will try to rack up a few hours before I start passing judgement on gameplay though it does feel needlesly weird in various aspects - as if the devs wanted to change some stuff up just so they could claim the game is different. Maps feel huge and infrantry takes forever to get anywhere... oh well we will see I guess.

Good thing is that CoH2 still has a ton of players though.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Tbh the entire Company of Heroes series has gotten a little silly to me ever since I played the Men of War games, especially with mods.

Men of War: actual physical projectile simulation, armor thickness on tanks with locational damage and damaging of individual components, infantry have low hitpoints and three or four bullets are enough to kill them (headshots are instakills because infantry have locational damage too!) while HE munitions going off on top of them are instakills, buildings crumble based on physics, etc etc.

Company of Heroes: everything has HP values, when it looks like a machine gun salvo is missing your dudes it's actually not missing it's just reducing their HP pool in the background, tanks have hitpoints rather than a shot either glancing off or doing structural damage, building collapse is also based on hitpoints rather than pure physics, etc etc.

I just don't like abstract hitpoint systems anymore. Give me a simulationist approach instead!

DemonKing

Arcane
Gotta say that the art style feels like a downgrade in comparison to CoH2.
The test apparently only uses low res assets so that they can find actual bugs and not have people whining about how it doesn't run on their system well.
Maps feel huge and infrantry takes forever to get anywhere... oh well we will see I guess.
I suspect this is because there are lots of transport/tank riding options now to enable infantry to get back to the action quicker...it's just not many players are fully utilising them yet.

Jonathan "Zee Nekomimi

Hoarder of loli kats./ Funny ^._.^= ∫
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Didn't notice "long walk" for troops, seems to be like it was on previous games. So far my only issue is with some light vehicles taking too much damage from rifle troops, weapon crews being retard somem times where then either hit the ground in front of then or simple get up and start walking into the enemy stead of shooting at it.

bobocrunch

Educated
I want to see an evolution on the formula where you give orders to squads as you do in COH, but there's an AI involved with the infantry. They would react to situations themselves by taking cover when their life depended on it, hitting the dirt, experiencing fear and going into shock etc or rescuing fellow soldiers. But how it is now they don't really do anything without being told. They will stand out in the open as they get machine gunned and won't flee until you tell them to (they will get pinned but its more of a gamestate)
I also like how squads will now find the quickest path by auto-vaulting over fences. The more a strategy game works things out for me without any input, the better. I just wish they'd add the option to have the game play itself completely so I can just watch.
play men of war, you get #1 but not #2 you petulant bitch

Drakortha

Liturgist
play men of war, you get #1 but not #2 you petulant bitch

Men of War is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom