Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Codex interview with Basilisk Games

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Eschalon: Book I

An <b>Eschalon: Book I</b> <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/content.php?id=124>interview</a> with <b>Thomas Riegsecker</b> of <a href=http://www.basiliskgames.com/games.htm>Basilisk Games</a> is available for your reading pleasure. Here's a question:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>1. Summarize the game for us, please, avoiding generalization and unnecessary words like epic.</i>
<br>
<br>
<a href=http://www.basiliskgames.com/games.htm>Eschalon: Book I</a> is a game that's been in development, in one form or another, for a couple years now. It's being designed specifically to feel like a classic, old-school RPG from the golden age of CRPGs. Notice I said Computer RPGs...console gamers who think they are getting another Zelda are going to be very disappointed.
<br>
<br>
The gameplay focuses heavily on character development and open exploration. The storyline deals with you tying to uncover your lost identity amidst events going on in the world around you. There are questions about honor, trust and revenge that you will be confronted with. While the game is very character focused, I can assure everyone that the fate of the world does not balance on your character's success or failure (i.e. you are NOT the chosen one).
<br>
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Don't forget to share your impressions.

LlamaGod

Cipher
this game sounds awesome

but i'm pretty sure Geneforge and Avernum use seperate engines

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
A good read, the game sounds promising but the negativity towards dialogue is suspicious. Old Wizardry and M&M games were fun, I agree, but for me good (and extensive) dialogue is always a desirable feature in a RPG.

obediah

Erudite
interesting use of character skills + developer insight + developer humility = my $$

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
The game sounds great, and for the record, the graphics look more polished than the Spiderweb games.

I don't mind having races locked down, but I'm always a bit disappointed when you're forced to play a male character. Yeah, yeah, I know people like to make a "fantasy world that discourages female adventurers" and all that crap, I'd rather play it out as a female character and deal with the disadvantages of a disapproving society.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
but i'm pretty sure Geneforge and Avernum use seperate engines
They both use the Nethergate engine, I thought.

I like how he wants to explore different gameplay elements with each sequel, instead of just using them to continue some pretentious story or milk a franchise. Like, you can have a Fallout-caliber RPG, followed by maybe a party-based dungeon crawler, and then a combination of the two or somethin completely different.

I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Sounds really interesting. The guy did manage to hit most of the answers right where your average Codex Hive Warrior would like. At least, so far as I can tell. Even the dialogue parts don't bug me all THAT much. PS:T had great dialogue, but it could get tedious sometimes.

Seven

Erudite
DamnElfGirl said:
The game sounds great, and for the record, the graphics look more polished than the Spiderweb games.

I don't mind having races locked down, but I'm always a bit disappointed when you're forced to play a male character. Yeah, yeah, I know people like to make a "fantasy world that discourages female adventurers" and all that crap, I'd rather play it out as a female character and deal with the disadvantages of a disapproving society.

Every one knows that girl adventurers get gangbanged like there's no tomorrow--Duh...

Actually, I liked the way Fallout handled gender--it did occasionally make a difference but there was never anything overly problematic, and of course, it wasn't vulgar.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Simply excellent interview - mainly because it checked everything on my "oldskool rpg" checklist.

I have no problems with dialogue being more functional than dressing. Different rpgs assert "immersiveness" in different ways I guess. It didn't stop the old Ultimas and Wizardrys (etc) being wonderful experiences for me way back when.

As for gender and race being "locked" - oh well. If a game were to force me to be a female character I wouldn't care. Sacred has gender-specified classes, and I think that Kult game forces you to be a female, and I couldn't care a less. Perhaps that is because I am omni-sexual :cool:

'Tis sounding right nice, yessiree.

Deacdo

Liturgist
DamnElfGirl said:
That's not saying much.

From what I've seen, the graphics look acceptable (if barely). A lot will depend on animation, for me (asuming it meets gameplay requirements).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Interview sounds faked. Seems he did his best to kiss the Codex's asss.

Hell, if I wa shim, and I was told (by VD) to not use the word epic, I'd have used the word epic 100 times during the course of the interview or until VD cried and whined and stopped the interview. Hazhaha.

Anyways, game looks like it has possibilities; but considering it sounds fake I simply don't believe it.

Period.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Hell, if I wa shim, and I was told (by VD) to not use the word epic, I'd have used the word epic 100 times
Not everyone has an 8-year old mentality and is proud of it.

HardCode

Erudite
The game has a narrative script that provides localized descriptions of areas and events, sort of like what a Dungeon Master provides when you play D&D. This description varies based on your character's Perception Attribute and Spot Hidden Skill.

This is freakin' great. Just like the Perception skill from Wasteland.

the automap in the upper right corner of the screen does not work at all until you have at least one point in your Cartography Skill. With just one point, your automap will work but it will only produce a crude outline of your surroundings. The more points you allot to your Cartography skill, the better the automap will look as color and details emerge.

Nice! I do hope they can implement a "map notes" feature, which was one of the better features in MW.

This way, a spell you acquire when you are a novice can grow with you and still be useable when you are a 20th level Mage.

Magic that makes sense. Another plus.

As for examples, it's a little early to talk about that. Quests are being developed and balanced as you read this, so it would be difficult for me to talk about any specific quests right now. Ask me again in a couple months.

This guy rocks. He didn't say, "The quests are epic! Trust us!" He says why he won't comment, and then invites you to inquire later. Very nice. He puts the mainstream PR to shame (*cough* Pete Hines *cough*) If this general attitude goes into the game, it will be a very good game.

With the Eschalon series, we're not trying to reinvent the genre.

Thank god. I can hardly deal with another "epic, genre re-defining, ground-breaking" RPG consolesque flop.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Not everyone has an 8-year old mentality and is proud of it."

Says the interviewer who told the interviewee what answers were acceptable.

"Yeha, I like to ask you some questions but here's the answers I want to hear."

R00fles!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"Not everyone has an 8-year old mentality and is proud of it."

Says the interviewer who told the interviewee what answers were acceptable.

"Yeha, I like to ask you some questions but here's the answers I want to hear."

R00fles!
Yes, everyone knows that the Codex hates dialogues in games.

spacemoose

Erudite
This might seem slightly strange, but I like the colors - they are full and bright. That's one of the reasons I prefer Exiles to Avernums.

Fintilgin

Educated
Actually, I like the graphics a lot. Far more attractive then the Spiderweb ones. Attractive and clean. I really don't need more then what it's got for graphics.

Sounds like a fun game, too. It makes me excited too, not just for the game, but because I hope these small 'classic' RPG companies start to catch on. The last few years have been a bit of a golden age for computer wargames, one of the ultimate niche genres. You've got a lot of little companies like Stardock, Paradox, Battlefront, Matrix Games and others turning out wonderful strategy and wargames and being very successful at marketing to a smaller, sophisticated, non-'mainstream' audience.

I'm really hoping that over the next few years we'll start seeing a similar 'niche RPG' industry start developing along the lines of the newly thriving niche wargame industry.

Jora

Arcane
Everything in the interview sounds very awesome. Thomas knew just the right words to say. :shock:

bryce777

Erudite
Fintilgin said:
Actually, I like the graphics a lot. Far more attractive then the Spiderweb ones. Attractive and clean. I really don't need more then what it's got for graphics.

Sounds like a fun game, too. It makes me excited too, not just for the game, but because I hope these small 'classic' RPG companies start to catch on. The last few years have been a bit of a golden age for computer wargames, one of the ultimate niche genres. You've got a lot of little companies like Stardock, Paradox, Battlefront, Matrix Games and others turning out wonderful strategy and wargames and being very successful at marketing to a smaller, sophisticated, non-'mainstream' audience.

I'm really hoping that over the next few years we'll start seeing a similar 'niche RPG' industry start developing along the lines of the newly thriving niche wargame industry.

That would be nice. Oblivion supposedly has 100 people working on it nonstop, for over 3 years, and for what? It boggles my mind.

I would much rather have 5 small, nonretarded rpgs with bland graphics.

obediah

Erudite
DamnElfGirl said:

I don't mind having races locked down, but I'm always a bit disappointed when you're forced to play a male character

racist

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
obediah said:
DamnElfGirl said:

I don't mind having races locked down, but I'm always a bit disappointed when you're forced to play a male character

racist

That's right. I'm racist against elves. Damn elves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom