Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Codex interview with Basilisk Games

LCJr.

Erudite
Old School CRPG = dungeon hack. I'm not getting all that excited about this one.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Nice interview. Pretty much hit all the points i was curious about. I like the Wizardry 7 influences with style skillz system, specifically the mapping system and the 6 levels of spells.

Stats affecting the in game info is nifty, hopefully that means your stats open up some dialogue options too. I'm really interested to see how the combat system is implemented with the TB/RT hybrid.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I took the "finding his identity" in a more metaphorical sense. I hope it's not literal as it's really cliche.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Cliches are not always that bad, really. Torment had this same amnesia cliche, so what? The game was perfect in every aspect, and had a very unusual plot, despite this blatant cliche.

bryce777

Erudite
metallix said:
Cliches are not always that bad, really. Torment had this same amnesia cliche, so what? The game was perfect in every aspect, and had a very unusual plot, despite this blatant cliche.

It was a damn good game, but still quite a bit short of perfect. Amazing, with some flaws, I would say.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
The only flaw Torment had was the Infinity Engine. They could've made that game on RPG Maker 2005 and it still would've been brilliant.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
metallix said:

I agree, it's not the end of the world. Damn near everything else in the interview sounds fantastic.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
The combat system question wasn't a good answer IMO. Strategy lies in choices, options, and decisions. If you can play as a RT game by just clicking over and over it sounds more like Diablo hack n' slash that pauses after an action than a true strategic TB game. It also leads me to believe the combat model is the hordes of weak enemies model, which i can't stand. Of course, I would rather have much less, but much more strategic combat. Clicking over and over just doesn't do it for me.

IMO if you aren't going to do TB right, might as well not do it. RT or twitch lends itself much better to the hack n' slash hordes of weak enemy model much more than TB.

Of course I could be, and hope I am, wrong, but that is what the answer seems to insinuate to me. Then again, begars can't be chosers I quess.

dunduks

Liturgist
Roqua said:
The combat system question wasn't a good answer IMO. Strategy lies in choices, options, and decisions. If you can play as a RT game by just clicking over and over it sounds more like Diablo hack n' slash that pauses after an action than a true strategic TB game. It also leads me to believe the combat model is the hordes of weak enemies model, which i can't stand. Of course, I would rather have much less, but much more strategic combat. Clicking over and over just doesn't do it for me.

IMO if you aren't going to do TB right, might as well not do it. RT or twitch lends itself much better to the hack n' slash hordes of weak enemy model much more than TB.

Of course I could be, and hope I am, wrong, but that is what the answer seems to insinuate to me. Then again, begars can't be chosers I quess.
If I understood correctly, you don't have to click "over and over again", if you don't want to. It looks like they have implemented a queue system where you can buffer actions, if you wish or wait for your turn think about what would be the best course of action and only then make your move. It sounds like turn based combat, but without the "end turn" button - your choice of action acts as a end of turn input. I guess we'll have to wait for demo to see how good/bad this sytem works.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I rather enjoyed KOTOR's que system. Too bad the enemies were retarded.

RGE

Liturgist
Since I have proposed such a combat system myself I of course enjoy reading that a game will have such a system. Tactical choices can be made quickly by some people, but no matter how quickly you make them in Fallout you still have to wait for the NPCs to make their decisions and do their actions. And the tactics in Fallout are simple enough that even a slowpoke such as myself could keep up if it was real time and I was able to set a hotkeys for "Aimed Attack on Eyes", "Regular Attack" and "Reload". And I'm already used to battling hordes of easy enemies. I don't remember an RPG which didn't feature that. Maybe Evil Islands?

I could also deal with less dialogue if it means that the existing dialogue will be important (relevant to quests and such). Travelling around the world and collecting artifacts and findign people to talk to sounds like fun enough for me, since I like exploration.

Shevek

Arcane
DamnElfGirl said:
The game sounds great, and for the record, the graphics look more polished than the Spiderweb games.

Yeah, yeah, I know people like to make a "fantasy world that discourages female adventurers" and all that crap

Well, I don't. But I'm sure if you are a young, sexually repressed male you may very well go for a fantasy setting where you have some sort of edge over the opposite sex.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
Shevek said:
DamnElfGirl said:
The game sounds great, and for the record, the graphics look more polished than the Spiderweb games.

Yeah, yeah, I know people like to make a "fantasy world that discourages female adventurers" and all that crap

Well, I don't. But I'm sure if you are a young, sexually repressed male you may very well go for a fantasy setting where you have some sort of edge over the opposite sex.

Apparently, the overly-patriarchal fantasy world is more "realistic" and "gritty" than a more egalitarian world. At least, that's what I've been told. I'm not sure why it's important to preserve patriarchy in a world in which the laws of physics are regularly broken, but, y'know.

I don't mind playing male characters in some games, like adventure games. I was okay with The Nameless One, simply because Torment kicked ass. But really, if you have an RPG that cares about player choice in character development, let us pick our damn gender.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
The Basilisk guy did say the gender was tied in with the story. If the story is any good, i could care less if i'm forced into a gender/race/look.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If I can choose to be a girl in a game, I always pick the chick. They're the only times I get to be in control.

bryce777

Erudite
DamnElfGirl said:
Shevek said:
DamnElfGirl said:

Apparently, the overly-patriarchal fantasy world is more "realistic" and "gritty" than a more egalitarian world. At least, that's what I've been told. I'm not sure why it's important to preserve patriarchy in a world in which the laws of physics are regularly broken, but, y'know.

I don't mind playing male characters in some games, like adventure games. I was okay with The Nameless One, simply because Torment kicked ass. But really, if you have an RPG that cares about player choice in character development, let us pick our damn gender.

Personally, I prefer to play as a teenage girl with large breasts.

kris

Arcane
bryce777 said:
Personally, I prefer to play as a teenage girl with large breasts.

I prefer to play with her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom