Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chefe Reviews Oblivion

Lumpy

Arcane
Twinfalls said:
Temoid said:
We hate Oblivion for different reasons - aka it being a fucking trainwreck of a game.

Who says it's a 'trainwreck of a game'? I don't see any evidence for that. In fact, the evidence points to it being a pretty impressive game in its own right - a bigger and much improved Morrowind.

Its failings are as a continuation of the TES series. To fans of Daggerfall in particular, this game represents the continued failure to build on the foundations laid by that game. Oblivion is a step backward in roleplaying, in choices and decision-making, and in the vast, procedurally designed game-world ideas of that classic of the genre.
Twinfalls, there are intelligent people like yourself who criticize Oblivion rationally, and then there are dumbfucks who make comments like:
Anyone expecting a game out of Oblivion is living on the fucking moon
In my opinion, the people coming here have all the rights to complain about such dumbfucks.

Venom

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Twinfalls said:
Temoid said:
We hate Oblivion for different reasons - aka it being a fucking trainwreck of a game.

Who says it's a 'trainwreck of a game'? I don't see any evidence for that. In fact, the evidence points to it being a pretty impressive game in its own right - a bigger and much improved Morrowind.

Its failings are as a continuation of the TES series. To fans of Daggerfall in particular, this game represents the continued failure to build on the foundations laid by that game. Oblivion is a step backward in roleplaying, in choices and decision-making, and in the vast, procedurally designed game-world ideas of that classic of the genre.
Twinfalls, there are intelligent people like yourself who criticize Oblivion rationally, and then there are dumbfucks who make comments like:
Anyone expecting a game out of Oblivion is living on the fucking moon
In my opinion, the people coming here have all the rights to complain about such dumbfucks.
Indeed. Oblivion will be an amazing fantasy action game with slight RPG elements...but it will be a shit RPG for those who prefer old-school games. Weird but true. I can't wait anyway...I'll play it for hours!

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I just heard that information about Morrowind and now I'm thinking...what the hell? What was the point of having your character go through all that trouble of SAVING TEH WARLD!? I guess it's an interesting along the lines of the banished savior in Fallout...Still it kind of makes the last game's effort seem all for naught. I mean, Akavir. Comon. Why?

Actually, that would probably yield a much more intestering chapter to TES. A game revolving around Akavir. There's some original unexplored territory there. Strange creatures, varied lands, rich lore, a popularity fight against an entirely wary population. It would certainly do away with the generic LOTD style stuff and breathe some new life into the series.

Bolgard

Novice
Yeah, Lumpy makes a good point there. I admit, I'm definitely in the camp that thinks Oblivion will be a "good game," but I have absolutely no loyalty to Bethesda, the series in general, etc. Of course, what's a good game? It's a game that's fun, and when I say I think it'll be a good game, all I really mean is I think I'll have a lot of fun with it.

Of course I could be way off the mark.

spacemoose

Erudite
Bolgard said:

every time someone from the TES boards comes here they have almost exactly the same arguments.

why don't you do us a favor and read up at least a bit on previous threads, instead of shitting out posts that have been discussed/adressed/beaten to death many times over.

Bolgard

Novice
Spacemoose said:
Bolgard said:

every time someone from the TES boards comes here they have almost exactly the same arguments.

why don't you do us a favor and read up at least a bit on previous threads, instead of shitting out posts that have been discussed/adressed/beaten to death many times over.

I'm not sure if that's directed at me or not, but if it is, you could also "not care" and that would solve the problem too.
---------------------------------------
Edit: sorry, that was a little defensive. I've had a long day :) But honestly, if you don't want to read what someone writes, don't read it - and if people don't reply to it, then those posts will wither and die on their own. I just don't feel like reading every single oblivion related thread here to make sure each post I make is original. In fact, virtually every discussion I've gotten into here has been responding to someone else's post, so take it up with them.

Twinfalls

Erudite
bryce777 said:
I was laughing so hard my butler had to slap my back and get a fesh oxygen mask!

:lol: Smithers should probably tone down the N2O delivery to your breathing tube.

Bryce I'd love to see you enter the TES forums and smack all the screeching kids around with your steel-tipped cane.

Bolgard

Novice
Twinfalls said:
bryce777 said:
I was laughing so hard my butler had to slap my back and get a fesh oxygen mask!

:lol: Smithers should probably tone down the N2O delivery to your breathing tube.

Bryce I'd love to see you enter the TES forums and smack all the screeching kids around with your steel-tipped cane.

Hell, I'd like to see that too - 95% of the posts in TES forums are utter crap. Too many kids.

bryce777

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
bryce777 said:

Well, I would need someone to make a trip to Vault City to pick me up some heart pills before I tried to do something like that. I start to feel kind of disoriented and short of breath just from the tes people who have made it here already.

sheek

Arbiter
Bolgard said:
Maybe you should have a bit of a lie-down.

:lol:

Honestly I don't get the Oblivion-hatred either. It's not a game for me but some people will enjoy it. I don't give a damn about that either, Bethesda making Oblivion has no impact on me whatsoever.

Many of the 'Codexers' (this is how it seems to me) blame Oblivion for their own misery (ie lack of games they like). They think that because Oblivion is being made somehow money/energy is 'taken out' of making the games they want.

Bolgard

Novice
sheek said:
Bolgard said:

Honestly I don't get the Oblivion-hatred either. It's not a game for me but some people will enjoy it. I don't give a damn about that either, Bethesda making Oblivion has no impact on me whatsoever.

Many of the 'Codexers' (this is how it seems to me) blame Oblivion for their own misery (ie lack of games they like). They think that because Oblivion is being made somehow money/energy is 'taken out' of making the games they want.

Yeah, I know, it feels like many of the people who have that vitriol that Twin referred to take it *personally* that Oblivion isn't a game they like and want to play. There's this deep, boiling, holier-than-thou, elitist, back-in-my-day attitude that a lot of people here reek of which is both disturbing and, well, kind of sad.

Those who like to honestly have a philosophical discussion about various game styles and
have disagreements about one system over the other, I'm more than happy to entertain with conversation.

But the former... that's just unnerving.

Temoid

Scholar
I don't see anything disturbing or sad. Me thinking that oblivion is garbage does not impact anything for me in any way. It's just an opinion :?

Bolgard

Novice
Temoid said:
I don't see anything disturbing or sad. Me thinking that oblivion is garbage does not impact anything for me in any way. It's just an opinion :?

It's ok, Tem. You don't have to explain yourself.

Data4

Arcane
Bolgard said:
sheek said:
Bolgard said:

Yeah, I know, it feels like many of the people who have that vitriol that Twin referred to take it *personally* that Oblivion isn't a game they like and want to play. There's this deep, boiling, holier-than-thou, elitist, back-in-my-day attitude that a lot of people here reek of which is both disturbing and, well, kind of sad.

Those who like to honestly have a philosophical discussion about various game styles and
have disagreements about one system over the other, I'm more than happy to entertain with conversation.

Great... so that means you'll be leaving now?

Seriously, people have opinions, and if you don't agree with them, great! But to come here and bitch that people have opinions that are different from your own is sort of like walking on to a Ford dealership with the express purpose of telling the people there how much they suck for liking Fords.

-D4

Bolgard

Novice
Great... so that means you'll be leaving now?

Seriously, people have opinions, and if you don't agree with them, great! But to come here and bitch that people have opinions that are different from your own is sort of like walking on to a Ford dealership with the express purpose of telling the people there how much they suck for liking Fords.

-D4

Doesn't have to do with opinions, it has to do with the attitude driving those opinions and the neurotic stuff going on under the hood. It doesn't really bother me, it's just, well, like I said, kind of sad.

Anyway, I was responding to something someone else said, who I happen to agree with. I have no real plans to "leave." Besides, I've had enough enjoyable conversations with people here, some who disagree with me and have a different opinion, and some who share the same opinion I have, to stick around here awhile longer. There are some good people here.

Sorry.

bryce777

Erudite
Bolgard said:
sheek said:
Bolgard said:

I think most people just get annoyed at the hype, and people who are obviously not rpg fans in general but who come here to defend it for some ungodly reason.

dongle

Scholar
Bolgard said:
Doesn't have to do with opinions, it has to do with the attitude driving those opinions and the neurotic stuff going on under the hood. It doesn't really bother me, it's just, well, like I said, kind of sad.
OK, so like blowing into a Ford dealership and calling them emotionally disturbed for liking Fords?

Bolgard

Novice
I think most people just get annoyed at the hype, and people who are obviously not rpg fans in general but who come here to defend it for some ungodly reason.

I can understand that, I guess... but in a lot of cases it goes beyond when I get "annoyed" at something I usually ignore it. The "disturbing" and "sad" part is seeing such a vitriolic and angry reaction to.. well.. either publicity, or ultimately, a game. These personal reactions to something so silly.

I'm not pointing fingers here, naming names, or even painting with a broad brush. I've seen some people who dislike what they percieve Oblivion to be, with genuinely well thought out reasons that they articulate well, and discuss it in a way as if they're talking about why they're not going to get this one car because it doesn't have four wheel drive. And they don't get passionate or take it personally that the car doesn't have that feature.

It's the zealot fervor for which some people proclaim their hatred of a *game* that I find sad.

Bolgard

Novice
dongle said:
Bolgard said:
OK, so like blowing into a Ford dealership and calling them emotionally disturbed for liking Fords?
Um, no.

If I was in a car dealership and the Ford people called people who drove Toyota's fuckwits and started taking the fact that Toyota's existed personally, then yeah, I might say they were "emotionally disturbed." I wouldn't take it personally or particularly care, but yeah, I'd find it a little disturbing.

Incidentally, I drive a Ford Contour and think it's fine :P

Data4

Arcane
Bolgard said:
It's the zealot fervor for which some people proclaim their hatred of a *game* that I find sad.

Just think of it as antithetical to what goes on at the official forums. It's a yin/yang thing. :D

-D4

dongle

Scholar
Bolgard said:
Um, no.

If I was in a car dealership and the Ford people called people who drove Toyota's fuckwits and started taking the fact that Toyota's existed personally, then yeah, I might say they were "emotionally disturbed." I wouldn't take it personally or particularly care, but yeah, I'd find it a little disturbing.
So, in other words "yes".

bryce777

Erudite
Bolgard said:
dongle said:
Bolgard said:
Um, no.

Incidentally, I drive a Ford Contour and think it's fine :P

I think a better analogy is there is a muscle car enthusiasts group who meets once in a while. The get excited because they hear that ford is brining back the shelby cobra. Holy shit! They think, this is gonna be great! Then they listen to news and it turns out the engine will be about 150 hp, and it will only come in automatic, and it will have all the same luxury car features as a buick towncar.

Still, the head of ford comes out every day saying what a hot shit 'muscle car' this thing is over and over. They have videos of it all over the place, and they pay huge sums to magazines for advertising.

So, some of the people in the group get a big laugh, and others get a bit pissed off, and both groups take the piss out of Ford and some of the crazy goofball new Cobra fans. A lot of the new Cobra fans get pissed off anyone would dare to criticize the new Cobra, and start doing wheelies in the parking lot where these guys meet, even though they could give a shit about real muscle cars and really just like the new cobra because it looks kind of cool and it's easy to drive.

Bolgard

Novice
dongle said:
Bolgard said:
Um, no.

So, in other words "yes".

I guess you don't understand the difference between what you said and what I said. Alright.

Bolgard

Novice
I think a better analogy is there is a muscle car enthusiasts group who meets once in a while. The get excited because they hear that ford is brining back the shelby cobra. Holy shit! They think, this is gonna be great! Then they listen to news and it turns out the engine will be about 150 hp, and it will only come in automatic, and it will have all the same luxury car features as a buick towncar.

Still, the head of ford comes out every day saying what a hot shit 'muscle car' this thing is over and over. They have videos of it all over the place, and they pay huge sums to magazines for advertising.

So, some of the people in the group get a big laugh, and others get a bit pissed off, and both groups take the piss out of Ford and some of the crazy goofball new Cobra fans. A lot of the new Cobra fans get pissed off anyone would dare to criticize the new Cobra, and start doing wheelies in the parking lot where these guys meet, even though they could give a shit about real muscle cars and really just like the new cobra because it looks kind of cool and it's easy to drive.

That's better than the analogy the other guy proposed at least, but no... see, it's not about a difference of opinion. Diversity, baby - it's what makes the world a great place. I don't care if someone agrees or disagrees with my opinions on a range of topics - in fact, when some disagree, it can lead to some interesting and worthwhile conversations.

I have a lot of friends that are members of a political party who's ideology is far apart from mine, and we have some incredible conversations, differences of opinion, whathaveyou, and at the end we have a few beers and are the best of friends, and maybe a little wiser for our conflict in opinions.

It's about that neurosis behind some of the differences in opinion. As I've said before, that take-it-personally attitude, the elitism, that irrational *hatred* that some exibit. Incidentally, it's no worse than someone irrationally pledging loyalty to a product or company, such as Oblivion. There are people on both extremes, and I think both are misguided.

I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular here, so no one needs to take it personally unless you think you fall into that catagory.

Anyway, it's been a long day, and it's time to hit the sack. Take it easy guys. Catch you tomorrow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom