Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chefe Reviews Oblivion

Rew_Klip

Novice
I don't think I will bother trusting Chefe's review as valid, he is too biased.

Bolgard

Novice
Yeah - it's really tough with all the fanboys on one side and all the reactionary "i hate oblivion because it's cool to hate something popular" boys on the other side.

Hell, I'm sure I'll really enjoy Oblivion. I'm sure it's got its share of problems. I'm sure there's things in there that could have been done better, and I'll probably still get my money's worth. But who knows, it could really blow or it could be absolutely fantastic. But people who adopt either extreme before they actually play that miss out.

Rew_Klip

Novice
I have the OB strategy guide, so anyone can ask questions about Oblivion as long as it does not relate to quests. It will help us waste some time before Chefe posts his "reveiw"

Venom

Scholar
Rew_Klip said:
I have the OB strategy guide, so anyone can ask questions about Oblivion as long as it does not relate to quests. It will help us waste some time before Chefe posts his "reveiw"
I wouldn't call that a review...I'd call it: I ran through the game and noted down every negative thing I could find and tried my best not to have fun.

Temoid

Scholar
Sorry, but there is no such thing as a "We hate oblivion because its a cool thing to do" camp. We hate Oblivion for different reasons - aka it being a fucking trainwreck of a game.

Venom

Scholar
Temoid said:
Sorry, but there is no such thing as a "We hate oblivion because its a cool thing to do" camp. We hate Oblivion for different reasons - aka it being a fucking trainwreck of a game.
Why do you act like everyone should agree with you and that everyone is wrong except the Codex?

Rew_Klip

Novice
Temoid said:

Please state your reasons for it being a "fucking train wreck".

Bolgard

Novice
Rew_Klip said:
Yeah - thanks for the offer - I'm really trying to avoid bumping into spoliers. Honestly what I'm looking forward the most to is more in-depth info on RAI - specifically I'm looking forward to trying to tweak the hell out of it to the point of breaking it almost :)

The developers really had to restrain themselves, it sounds like, so their NPCs didn't do stuff that might hurt the game, but at least the option is there for the players to do it.

Imagine making a town full of kleptomaniac serial killers.

Bolgard

Novice
Temoid said:

That's cute.

Venom

Scholar
Bolgard said:
Rew_Klip said:
Yeah - thanks for the offer - I'm really trying to avoid bumping into spoliers. Honestly what I'm looking forward the most to is more in-depth info on RAI - specifically I'm looking forward to trying to tweak the hell out of it to the point of breaking it almost :)

The developers really had to restrain themselves, it sounds like, so their NPCs didn't do stuff that might hurt the game, but at least the option is there for the players to do it.

The freeform section of the guide is basically how to screw the world up. It's great.

Rew_Klip

Novice
Bolgard said:
Rew_Klip said:

There is one very fun thing you can do in OB. Take the totem pole of any of the Goblin tribes and stick it in the middle of a city. The Goblins are attracted to it and the whole tribe will run to the totem, attacking anyone one on the way. The coolest thing to do though is to grab all 7(?) of the totem poles and put them in one place and watch all the rival tribes duke it out in a huge battle.

Bolgard

Novice
The freeform section of the guide is basically how to screw the world up. It's great.

Assuming I enjoy Oblivion when it's released, I'll probably end up getting the strategy guide after I go through the main quest so as not to read any spoilers. Although I'm sure there'll be good documentation on the editor online. I'd love to be able to have a detailed guide on modifying NPC behaviour and messing up the world.

Rew_Klip

Novice
The game is HUGE by the way, and though there are less quests to do, they are much more immersive and fun. In a sense 1 OB quest equals 2-3 Morrowind quests.

Temoid

Scholar
The reasons have been discussed to hell and back, with whatever information bethesda provided about their game pointing in the direction of poor design, overhyped graphics and arcade-like gameplay which is touted as the next best thing ever. It is yet another game that claims to achieve great things when really its a horribly limited treadmill simulator.

Bolgard

Novice
Temoid said:
The reasons have been discussed to hell and back, with whatever information bethesda provided about their game pointing in the direction of poor design, overhyped graphics and arcade-like gameplay which is touted as the next best thing ever. It is yet another game that claims to achieve great things when really its a horribly limited treadmill simulator.

Yes, yes, yes, we've heard all this before.

Venom

Scholar
Temoid said:
Yes, but do you admit that other people have the right to enjoy the damn thing?

Rew_Klip

Novice
Temoid said:
Since when have the graphics been over hyped by Bethesda? Oblivion's combat is anyhting but arcade. Try to play the game with an unbiased attitude THEN tell me if it was poorly designed.

Venom

Scholar
And while I don't think that most people here will like it, I own the guide, and I can safely say that the quests are the best the Elder Scrolls series have seen. I respect those who dislike Oblivion, but not those who try to convince people it sucks.

Venom

Scholar
Spacemoose said:
Venom said:

You can't just say that and not provide details. So details please.
The totem thing posted above is a perfect example how to play with the Radiant AI. The freeform section is basically, just how to have fun exploiting the AI and various funny things...it's a great read.

Venom

Scholar
Rew_Klip said:
Temoid said:
Sure, but the "Haters!!" talk is retarded.
Why is it retarded when you are biased, moronic, haters.
If they dislike Oblivion it is their choice. But I admit some will never admit anything positive about the game and trash it every occasion they get....but keep in mind they must do this...as every other site is just Oblivion cocksucking, they need to thrash it way more then necessary to get their point across.

Rew_Klip

Novice
Does anyone here want to know what has happened to Morrowind?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom