Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'd wager there are at least a couple of distinguished gentlemen here who can name the scenario being played.

(Sadly I'm not one of them.)

Caim

Arcane
Oh yeah, like people in the comments reminded me, his wife Nora (the female protagonist) is a lawyer. The plot thickens...
Plot twist: Nora dislikes the Canadians even more than Nate, and considers what he did to not be a war crime because you can only commit war crimes against people.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
9th5wtxvjouc1.jpeg

Hell Swarm

Educated
If this works I would play Borderlands 3. The shootings fun, the loots fun, Randy Pitchford is not.

I discovered a literal nigger arcade game called DJ Boy. The first boss is a morbidly obese black.. woman? (makes male noises when hit) who farts at you. It's almost a racist meme how Japan represent black culture. Plays terribly but funny to laugh at.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Descent 3 is now open source under the MIT liscense. Kevin Bentley, one of the original developers, had this to say
This is the latest version of the Descent 3 source code. This includes the '1.5' patch that Jeff Slutter and Kevin Bentley wrote several years ago. At the time, it worked for Windows, Linux, and Mac.

Some proprietary sound and video libraries from Interplay have been stripped out (the ACM and MVE format). I have that code if someone wants to help make a converter so the old cutscenes work. It'll take some effort to stub out that code so it compiles.

The first thing I want to do is get everything compiling again, and ideally some CI/CD actions. After that, the code needs to be cleaned up some, to remove old version control comments, etc. A lot of this code was written by a really great team, but keep in mind we were much younger and less experienced back then.

If you're interested in helping maintain it, please send me a message. Otherwise, I'm happy to take pull requests.

This is the last update I put out there showing different architectures playing along. Yikes, that was a long time ago, sorry we never released a 1.5 patch. Some logistics got in the way!

Thanks to Jeff Slutter, who did most of the work modernizing the code from the 90's. I'm looking forward to seeing what the community does with it!
https://github.com/kevinbentley/Descent3

Descent 3 is now open source under the MIT liscense. Kevin Bentley, one of the original developers, had this to say
This is the latest version of the Descent 3 source code. This includes the '1.5' patch that Jeff Slutter and Kevin Bentley wrote several years ago. At the time, it worked for Windows, Linux, and Mac.

Some proprietary sound and video libraries from Interplay have been stripped out (the ACM and MVE format). I have that code if someone wants to help make a converter so the old cutscenes work. It'll take some effort to stub out that code so it compiles.

The first thing I want to do is get everything compiling again, and ideally some CI/CD actions. After that, the code needs to be cleaned up some, to remove old version control comments, etc. A lot of this code was written by a really great team, but keep in mind we were much younger and less experienced back then.

If you're interested in helping maintain it, please send me a message. Otherwise, I'm happy to take pull requests.

This is the last update I put out there showing different architectures playing along. Yikes, that was a long time ago, sorry we never released a 1.5 patch. Some logistics got in the way!

Thanks to Jeff Slutter, who did most of the work modernizing the code from the 90's. I'm looking forward to seeing what the community does with it!
https://github.com/kevinbentley/Descent3

That's pretty cool.

Descent 2 was the peak of the franchise, however.

Rando Thoughtful

Educated
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Codex+ Now Streaming!
I dunno what to say about that shit. If I was a voice actor and my voice was used for anything outside what I permitted (besides profitless memes), i'd be pretty fucked off. That's my income. Offer me money for my voice samples, and if I accept, fine, if not, fuck off & be liable to be sued. Does anyone disagree with this? It just seems.. insensible to want voice actors to disappear. Hell, if i'm missing something, please tell me.

Rando Thoughtful

Educated
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Codex+ Now Streaming!
But why? To me an ideal scenario would be - good voice actors are compensated for their work and after a certain amount of 'voice lines' sufficient for AI to convincingly copy their voice, they can choose to agree full rights to their voice for a one-off payment dependant from whichever AI company wants to buy those rights - obviously while these people still live it would be a better performance by them in a studio, so there's the incentive for them to continue their work. Then, they could agree when they're old for their past recordings to be used by AI - or it could become part of copyright agreements that after 50 years past their death they could be used without penalty. For an obvious example; if David Warners style as Irenicus could be replicated, bloody hell, what an amazing antagonist that could be for BG4! (dependant on writing, obviously.)

Yeah, sure, imagining the future without AI voice seems the easiest moral argument, but it doesn't seem likely.

P.S. admittedly I haven't given a great deal of thought to this

There's already an established concept of "image rights" that applies to people. You can't just use an actor's image without permission, and that includes technological reproductions. This concept should also apply to voices, mutatis mutandis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom