Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Best Elder Scrolls character?

?

• Total voters

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Of course, the "Tribe Unmourned" could also be the Chimer, since Azura changed them in to Dunmer at this time too.
The seven visions of the oral traditions of the ashlanders has this excerpt:

He honors blood of the tribe unmourned.
He eats their sin, and is reborn.

This is obviously a reference to the Nerevarine correcting the dishonour of the 6th house with their sin being Corpus and is reborn.
There's a bit of lore differences on the subject of Red Mountain, which is most likely Bethesda being fast and loose with their lore, or it could be "unreliable narrator". There's also the fact that Vivec, Almalexia, and Sotha Sil lied their asses off about what happened on Red Mountain which is evident by the visages of Nerevar all over Morrowind. They were basically gods, but allowed the Nerevar mythos to continue and even embraced it. About the only thing we know for sure is that the Chimer/Dunmer were going to screw over the Dwemer and the Five Houses screwed over Nevevar and Dagoth Ur, then covered it all up.
I would argue more so keeping it ambiguous so that it leans more into mythological territory. Sorta like was Alexander the Great poisoned (betrayed) or died from Malaria? Nobody really knows because it was so far back and thus we can only speculate. In reality however Vivec's hidden message pretty much confirms murder as the cause. What is unknown is who struck the killing blow.

Almalexia is a very interesting character, she is almost a complete inverse of Dagoth. While Dagoth went mad with divinity Almalexia went mad due to the decay of her divinity.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
M'aiq the Liar. ES isn't renowned for it's comedy, but a character called 'The Liar' who has simple courtesy dialogue like "M'aiq wishes you well" got a legit laugh out of me.

Hagashager

Educated
What do you mean, "Not renowned for its comedy"? You mean you don't absolutely burst into hysterics whenever Wes Johnson does his famous "CHEESE FOR EVERYONE!" routine? Peak comedy, man. George Carlin could only HOPE to match the likes of Bethesda and their genre defining Sheogorath!

Humanophage

Arcane
To be honest, it's all rather forgettable. Which is surprising given how many characters it has. For comparison, Bloodlines has only a few, but you even remember the minor ones like a thin blood surfer or a cannibal in a hospital or the limb maniac.

I guess Dagoth Ur, Vivec, and maybe the Last Dwarf and Ulfric (because he raises the empire vs nation debate). Also maybe Ezabi the Banker for ESO characters because it is a cat banker, which is mildly cute.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Best Elder Scrolls character?

Why, the Hero of Kvatch, of course!

images

Stella Brando

Arcane
Are there any other Bethesda companions like Serana? Or are they just NPCs without much to say?

Mauman

Learned
Are there any other Bethesda companions like Serana? Or are they just NPCs without much to say?
Frea in Dragonborn has a fair amount of interaction. Not as much as Serana for Dawnguard.

Teldryn Sero, despite being a simple mercenary, has a shit ton to say about a lot of places. Also, he's one of the few npcs with agency and won't be your Seneschal or entertain your sick needs for vidya game marriage.

Also,

:dealwithit:REAL MEN LOVE TALOS :dealwithit:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
TES has never really done companions, just barebones followers. Some of the ones in Skyrim have more to say than others, but Serana is still in a class of her own for volume of interaction with the player. She's more like a Fallout follower, and probably a reaction by Bethesda to how well New Vegas companions were received.

Poseidon00

Arcane
This is going to be utter blasphemy, but my favorite character was this breton thief woman who wore many disguises and her band of accomplices from one of the early questlines of ESO. Forget her name. Had personality befitting her class in a way most Elder Scrolls thieves don't.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Frea in Dragonborn has a fair amount of interaction. Not as much as Serana for Dawnguard.

Teldryn Sero, despite being a simple mercenary, has a shit ton to say about a lot of places. Also, he's one of the few npcs with agency and won't be your Seneschal or entertain your sick needs for vidya game marriage.

Also,

:dealwithit:REAL MEN LOVE TALOS :dealwithit:

I like Teldryn Sero.
Good Dunmer mercenary and also a pretty good voice actor with a proper Dunmer voice (though not as great as Jeff Baker).

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
No one really knows what even happened to the Dwemer, not even Yagrum Bagarn, the last living Dwemer.
The game actually gives you an answer by the end of the Mage Guild quest, as the guy in Gnisis who has been studying the books tells you :

"It was unfashionable among the Dwemer to view their spirits as synthetic constructs three, four, or forty creational gradients below the divine. During the Dawn Era they researched the death of the Earth Bones, what we call now the laws of nature, dissecting the process of the sacred willing itself into the profane. I believe their mechanists and tonal architects discovered systematic regression techniques to perform the reverse -- that is, to create the sacred from the deaths of the profane.
As the Dwemer left no corpses or traces of conflict behind, I believe that generations of ritualistic 'anti-creations' resulted in their immediate, but foreseen removal from the Mundus. They retreated behind math, behind color, behind the active principle itself. That the Dwemer vanished during a conflict with Nerevar and the Tribunal is merely coincidence."

I was very surprised to have it spelled it straight to me during my last playthrough.

Kalon

Scholar
To be honest I'm not surprised the most chosen answer is "no character in Elder Scrolls". That said, it's interesting how some Morrowind characters are given some semblance of a personality with nothing more than a few distinct lines of "dialog".

The game actually gives you an answer by the end of the Mage Guild quest, as the guy in Gnisis who has been studying the books tells you

It's only one theory. But I'm surprised no player has ever come with the theory that the Dwemer were in fact genocided in the aftermath of the battle of Red Mountain and the theory of Azura making the Dwemer magically disappear is just a coverup made by the Dunmer.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
To be honest I'm not surprised the most chosen answer is "no character in Elder Scrolls". That said, it's interesting how some Morrowind characters are given some semblance of a personality with nothing more than a few distinct lines of "dialog".

The game actually gives you an answer by the end of the Mage Guild quest, as the guy in Gnisis who has been studying the books tells you

It's only one theory. But I'm surprised no player has ever come with the theory that the Dwemer were in fact genocided in the aftermath of the battle of Red Mountain and the theory of Azura making the Dwemer magically disappear is just a coverup made by the Dunmer.
The Chimer genocided the Dwemer?
Now that's interesting...
Still, I believe the theory that the Dwemer screwed with the heart of Lorkhan and ended up transcending to a different plane, or rather "uncreated" themselves from Mundus.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom