Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Best Elder Scrolls character?

?

• Total voters

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Divayth Fyr is a contender

180px-MW-npc-Divayth_Fyr.jpg

• [Disposition ≥ 50.] "Well! What a pleasure! A visitor! An entertaining diversion! Come to consult the great Divayth Fyr? You have the divine disease? Want to plunder the dungeon? Or leer at my daughters?"
  • [Disposition < 50.] "Not interesting. Sorry. Not your fault, perhaps, but you are not interesting, and I can't waste energy talking to boring people."
  • Offer the Dwemer artifact as a gift. [Dwemer Coherer has been removed from your inventory.] "A gift? For me? How thoughtful. And shrewd. I suppose you know I am a collector. And that such a gift is bound to please me. I congratulate you on your diplomatic skills. So, why have you tried to butter me up? Come to consult the great Divayth Fyr? You have the divine disease? Want to plunder the dungeon? Or leer at my daughters?"
  • the divine disease: "The magical principles of corprus disease are elusive and miraculous, far more subtle and powerful than any conventional sorcery or enchantment. I'm persuaded that it is in some manner the curse or blessing of a god. Perhaps both a curse and a blessing. The victim, of course, cannot appreciate the marvelous nature of corprus. It saps the mind and destroys the body. But to a wizard, it is a profound and glorious mystery, a riddle worth a long lifetime of study."
  • corprus disease: "How interesting. Did you know that corprus makes you immune to disease? Have you ever heard of the prophecies of the Nerevarine? Ashlanders say the Nerevarine will be immune to disease. I've always thought, "Maybe I have the Nerevarine down in my Corprusarium, and I don't even know it." Hah. Hah. The Nerevarine is a fat, disgusting corprus monster, and mad as a marsh rat. Wouldn't that be funny?"
  • plunder the dungeon: "When you live for thousands of years, you need a hobby. Something you love, always sparks your interest. I collect treasures, and invite thieves to steal them. I'm a collector, and a sportsman. I collect enchanted items and ancient artifacts. Have quite a few Dwemer pieces. And, as a sportsman, I love letting thieves try to steal my well-guarded treasures. Only a few rules. One, don't hurt the inmates. Two, don't hurt my daughters. My Warden and guards can look out for themselves."
  • daughters: "Not bad for someone born in a jar, eh? Charming and talented. Not daughters, really. A little project, a side benefit of my researches into corprus disease. Made them myself, from my own flesh. Nice, aren't they? Alfe Fyr, Beyte Fyr, Delte Fyr, and Uupse Fyr. Quite a comfort to me in my old age. Hah hah."
  • Alfe Fyr: "Alfe Fyr is the sharpest of my girls, in wit and tongue. Gets on my nerves, sometimes, but conflict is the spice of life."
  • Beyte Fyr: "Beyte Fyr is the sweet one. Eager to please, and be pleased. An excellent cook, and a lovely singing voice."
  • Delte Fyr: "Delte Fyr is the efficient one. Organized and orderly. She acts as our steward, manages accounts, maintains supplies, keeps the tower and Corprusarium running."
  • Uupse Fyr: "Uupse Fyr is the girl with the biggest heart. She takes care of the inmates of the Corprusarium, and helps with my researches."

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.

The Jester

Cipher
My Grandfather smoked his whole life. I was about 10 years old when my mother said to him, 'If you ever want to see your grandchildren graduate, you have to stop immediately.'. Tears welled up in his eyes when he realized what exactly was at stake. He gave it up immediately. Three years later he died of lung cancer. It was really sad and destroyed me. My mother said to me- 'Don't ever smoke. Please don't put your family through what your Grandfather put us through." I agreed. At 28, I have never touched a cigarette. I must say, I feel a very slight sense of regret for never having done it, because your post gave me cancer anyway.
I bet he would have survived if he hadn't quit smoking.

janior

Arcane
Patron
I bet he would have survived if he hadn't quit smoking.
smoking is good for you

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Ulfric Stormcloak was a riveting character. To the point where I still haven't decided between supporting his rebellion or the imperial loyalists. (I have never played the Skyrim main quest past the first dragon who attacks you outside the first city)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I also like Dagoth Ur (one of the best characters in the Elder Scrolls series)
Why the Hell did it take so many posts before someone brought up easily the best antagonist in any Elder Scrolls game? Dagoth Ur is the best character, bar none. At the end of Morrowind, you can't even be sure that he's actually gone for good. You just broke his ability to manifest by destroying the Heart of Lorkan. He's probably the most fleshed out of any antagonist as well.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Why the fuck is Saint Jiub not an option

:thwack:
Didn't he become a Saint after single handedly wiping out the Cliff Racers?
Yes a true hero.
Saint Jiub would be a contender for best Elder Scrolls NPC, if only he had featured in a Morrowind expansion rather than entirely disappearing after the start of the game.

4v5WJwD.jpg

Artist's depiction of St. Jiub driving the cliff racers from Vvardenfell

Stella Brando

Arcane
Saint Jiub would be a contender for best Elder Scrolls NPC, if only he had featured in a Morrowind expansion rather than entirely disappearing after the start of the game.

But he appeared in the best part of the Elder Scrolls, Dawnguard.

Allthough I never liked the Soul Cairn, so I didn't find his lost homework, I just left him there to rot.

I wish I could have told him a vampire dog ate it.

Lemming42

Arcane
Jagar Tharn. Not joking, he's fucking hilarious. He gets even funnier when you think about his plan for more than three seconds and realise it was total dogshit and that he was completely fucking doomed to fail from the start thanks to sheer Homer Simpson style incompetence every step of the way.

"WHYYY do you choose to ALIGN AGAINST MEH when it is OBVIOUS that I will de-strooooy you? FACE-MY-CREATURES IF YOU DARE! I am THROOOUGH toying with you!"

"GIVE-IN-TO-ME-NOWWWW, and I shall order your death painless, AND QUICK! R-R-R-RESIST, and I shall see you in SUCH SUFFERING that you will GROVEL for the SWEET release of DEATH..."

"YOU WERE A FOOL TO CONFRONT ME, AND NOW YOU HAVE PAID THE ULTIMATE PRICE!!"

Otherwise, I like Elysana in Daggerfall. Absolutely irredeemable, conniving rat-bastard of a person, even compared to the other scumbags of the royal courts. Properly hilarious, I wish there was a way to just outright support her machinations. I like that she canonically does win in the end and becomes Queen of Wayrest, even though she's a bastard there's something satisfying about her managing to get one over on the rest of the potential heirs.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I also like Dagoth Ur (one of the best characters in the Elder Scrolls series)
Why the Hell did it take so many posts before someone brought up easily the best antagonist in any Elder Scrolls game? Dagoth Ur is the best character, bar none. At the end of Morrowind, you can't even be sure that he's actually gone for good. You just broke his ability to manifest by destroying the Heart of Lorkan. He's probably the most fleshed out of any antagonist as well.
Yes.
His insanity, as Vivec informs you, grants him both an overwhelming sense of compassion for the Dunmer and Morrowind, but also extreme cruelty.

"In his sustained shadow immortality, he appears to be a highly intelligent, severely deluded immortal monster with unparalleled supernatural abilities. He appears, by turns, lucid and deranged, compassionate and bestial, profoundly wise and profoundly disordered. In short, he is a mad god."

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yes.
His insanity, as Vivec informs you, grants him both an overwhelming sense of compassion for the Dunmer and Morrowind, but also extreme cruelty.

"In his sustained shadow immortality, he appears to be a highly intelligent, severely deluded immortal monster with unparalleled supernatural abilities.
Even though he's absent in in the expansions, obviously, he gets further fleshed out in Tribunal when you find out that not everything is black and white with Dagoth Ur and the Tribunal. Despite Vivec and Tribunal showing a degree of Nerevar worship, complete with their upper tier guards dawning a likeness of Nerevar, that they're probably the ones that screwed him over and killed him. When you encounter Dagoth Ur, who didn't betray you, he welcomes you with open arms though also conceding that the Tribunal sent you there to kill him. Both sides are telling you that the other side are the bad guys in all this, to a certain degree, and both have a point. Dagoth Ur is the odd man out, though. He stands alone.

Not saying he's the good guy by any stretch. Using the dust from Red Mountain to spread corprus, making mindless drone slaves out of infected people, isn't an act of actual benevolence. No one knows what he actually got to experience before he was able to manifest himself, so it's entirely possible that he was driven mad through isolation during those centuries.

Morrowind easily has the best lore of all the Elder Scrolls games, and Dagoth Ur is the crown jewel of that lore.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yes.

"In his sustained shadow immortality, he appears to be a highly intelligent, severely deluded immortal monster with unparalleled supernatural abilities.
Even though he's absent in in the expansions, obviously, he gets further fleshed out in Tribunal when you find out that not everything is black and white with Dagoth Ur and the Tribunal. Despite Vivec and Tribunal showing a degree of Nerevar worship, complete with their upper tier guards dawning a likeness of Nerevar, that they're probably the ones that screwed him over and killed him. When you encounter Dagoth Ur, who didn't betray you, he welcomes you with open arms though also conceding that the Tribunal sent you there to kill him. Both sides are telling you that the other side are the bad guys in all this, to a certain degree, and both have a point. Dagoth Ur is the odd man out, though. He stands alone.

Not saying he's the good guy by any stretch. Using the dust from Red Mountain to spread corprus, making mindless drone slaves out of infected people, isn't an act of actual benevolence. No one knows what he actually got to experience before he was able to manifest himself, so it's entirely possible that he was driven mad through isolation during those centuries.

Morrowind easily has the best lore of all the Elder Scrolls games, and Dagoth Ur is the crown jewel of that lore.
Voryn Dagoth was a good friend, counselor and almost like a brother to Indoril Nerevar.

cpmartins

Cipher

I love how you can hear the retarded as fuck physics engine throwing the potions around because bethesda died after Morrowind and this shit is all we're ever gonna get from those pieces of worthless excrement. Forever.
Oh, and the genius-level dialogue of the orc of course. I love that too.
internet memes ruined dagoth ur for me can no longer see him for what he is in game, got influenced :negative:

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Not saying he's the good guy by any stretch. Using the dust from Red Mountain to spread corprus, making mindless drone slaves out of infected people, isn't an act of actual benevolence.
The ones who progress to Ascended Sleeper seem to enjoy it, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom