Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Behold! The new generation of RPG fans! Part 2

Skorpios

Liturgist
*sound of bat wings*

Aha! I knew I could smell some fun happening somewhere. Come to me my children, let me suck the fun from your souls! *gruesome slurping sounds*

Phwaaah! What's this??? There is no fun here! Just endless dissection of the semantic content of the word 'pirates' and pointless repetition of the fact that most people know jack shit about anything!!

Bugger! I'm off to the "Osama bin Laden stole my baby" discussion over on UrbanLegends.com - so much more juicy fun over there!

*sound of bat wings fading into the distance*

Seriously though, how does that original post mark him as a moron? So he makes some shallow judgements? Don't we all? Some of his conclusions were wrong? Ah, quick, soak the cross in gasoline, stick it in his front yard and light it!

I've been criticised for overly semantic arguments but this was beautiful - the guy was just trying to compare Diablo and LH - so what? That seems to have been the main bone of contention on those boards so of course every man and his dog has thrown in his two bits worth. With some bits being worth considerably less than that of course.

Vault_Dweller - how did you come to the conclusion that his conclusion was LH=FO? All he said was that LH could be almost as good as FO, which is a very general statement rather than a conclusion. I think the point he was trying to make was that on a spectrum with Diablo at one end and FO at the other, LH tends toward the FO end, that's all.

But judge it as you will, I'd hate to suck any more fun out of this thread.

PS: Oh, Vault_Dweller, thanks for all that underlining in the original post - pointing out the REALLY stupid parts of the guy's opinion really sucked all the fun out of finding it for myself. Almost like LH's moron indicators actually. Are you calling us morons??

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Skorpios said:
Seriously though, how does that original post mark him as a moron? So he makes some shallow judgements? Don't we all? Some of his conclusions were wrong? Ah, quick, soak the cross in gasoline, stick it in his front yard and light it!

Did you miss the part where he said he wanted RAPE as a gameplay feature in Fallout 3?

Skorpios

Liturgist
Actually no SP, I didn't - I can't find rape mentioned once in this thread - I was referring mostly to Vault_Dweller's original post anyway.

Anyway, if we are going to criticise people for wanting rape as a game feature, which I totally disagree with btw, I don't want to play games where I can rape anyone, how about murder? Which is worse? Murder or rape?

Yet in the name of gameplay 'freedom' some people demand the ability to KILL every single NPC in a game, without exceptions, women, children, it doesn't matter, you should be able to KILL everything.

We are talking about games here, if you are going to apply real-world morality to them, then at least apply it consistently.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Skorpios said:
There is no fun here! Just pointless repetition of the fact that most people know jack shit about anything!!
Well, what can I say? I am easily amused :lol:

Vault_Dweller - how did you come to the conclusion that his conclusion was LH=FO?
Lemme see, i believe it was this part: "Fallout to Lionheart (using the above system) comes to a four to four tie"

I think the point he was trying to make was that on a spectrum with Diablo at one end and FO at the other, LH tends toward the FO end, that's all.
Now that would be guessing, so let's stick to the facts. He compares LH to Diablo apple to apple scoring points in everything: char creation, story, interactivity, graphics, and even combat which is kinda ridiculous imo. Then at the end he replaces Daiblo with Fallout without ever discussing Fallout in "details" like he did with Diablo and presents us with this half-assed conclusion. It's stupid. Period.

Oh, Vault_Dweller, thanks for all that underlining in the original post - pointing out the REALLY stupid parts of the guy's opinion really sucked all the fun out of finding it for myself. Almost like LH's moron indicators actually. Are you calling us morons??
I underlined the dumbest parts for those who wouldn't have time to read every stupid thing. It's different from the icons as players have to read dialogues in order to progress and have a clue in what they're doing.

Anyway, if we are going to criticise people for wanting rape as a game feature, which I totally disagree with btw, I don't want to play games where I can rape anyone, how about murder? Which is worse? Murder or rape?
Oh, go ahead, why dontcha, suck all the fun with these pseudo-moral issues. "sighs* But to answer your question, while murder is definitely worse then rape, murder for a good reason ( aka killing "the bad guys" - a flexible name that allows you to kill pretty much everybody ) has become a part of our culture long time ago. Rape didn't. Sadism didn't. Lotsa other things didn't and for a good reason too. Let's leave them there.

Skorpios

Liturgist
*sigh* I can't seem to win can I? SP raised the issue of rape, not me, but I'm the one accused of moralising when I respond to it.

I stil can't find rape mentioned anywhere in this thread before then anyway.

Yes Vault_Dweller, I agree, his comparisons are lousy, again I'm not disputing that. Just quetioning whether that automatically makes him a moron.

And finally, if you don't want us reading all of the post, why post it at all?

:wink:

Also, I would have thought from the first half of my post *sound of batwings* I'm not taking this as seriously as I have in the past, so don't be too defensive.

Skorpios

Liturgist
Well, funnily enough Dan, I was replying to THIS THREAD, so forgive the fact I haven't read every word this guy has written anywhere on the net. My point stands, SP raised rape, I was just responding to his post that's all. I never actually said that I AGREED with this guy's views or anything.

That seems to be a shortcoming of this board - if I may take a moment to criticise. From my arrival here, simply because I disagreed with someone's criticism of a game I was instantly labelled as someone who is against ALL criticism. Now that is a very simplistic position to take and is totally untrue.

Now, just because I say that ONE of the 'morons' on this thread didn't actually sound that moronic, I suddenly agree with every moronic statement on the Interplay Boards or elsewhere and that somehow I now condone rape in RPGs. What the fuck???

But I don't want to suck all the fun out of this thread, so I'll leave now. I only dropped by because I was specifically invoked. :twisted:

I'll leave you guys to your game of: "Let's all prove how much smarter we are than the Interplay Board's 'Moron of the Week'." I'm sure it does you a power of good when you look in the mirror.

It seems strange to me, that you profess to hate all that these 'morons' stand for, yet you regularly import their views to dissect and discuss on your board. Don't you have anything else to talk about? Why not go to the source of the problem and discuss it with them on the Interplay boards if their opinions are so horrendous?

Araanor

Liturgist
Skorpios said:
Now, just because I say that ONE of the 'morons' on this thread didn't actually sound that moronic, I suddenly agree with every moronic statement on the Interplay Boards or elsewhere and that somehow I now condone rape in RPGs. What the fuck???

You've defended morons making moronic statements, what do you expect?

Skorpios

Liturgist
Well, I expect a little more thought actually Araanor.

I thought the first guy's comments posted by Vault_Dweller weren't all that bad considering, I've certainly seen dumber things posted on the net. Now just because I thought that, suddenly I'm in complete agreement with some other guy who wants to rape folks on his computer? Isn't that pushing things just a little too far? Do you always make those sorts of assumptions?

In one thread I've actually had Saint_Proverbius support a point I made, (I know I was shocked myself!) so by following your logic, SP now agrees with everything I've ever written, on the net, in my personal diary, everywhere!

I'm not sure where the quote comes from but it goes on about 'I might not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die to defend your right to say it.' Just because I might defend someone who chooses to stand up and share their views against the label of 'moron' DOESN'T necessarily mean I agree with those views myself.

I've been told that you guys respect logical arguments and thoughtful discussion. I might even believe that if you practised it more regularly.

Araanor

Liturgist
Skorpios said:
Well, I expect a little more thought actually Araanor.

I thought the first guy's comments posted by Vault_Dweller weren't all that bad considering, I've certainly seen dumber things posted on the net. Now just because I thought that, suddenly I'm in complete agreement with some other guy who wants to rape folks on his computer? Isn't that pushing things just a little too far? Do you always make those sorts of assumptions?
Noone said you were in complete agreement with him. You seemed surprised that people were connecting you to the defense of morons - and you are defending them - I pointed it out.

I'm not sure where the quote comes from but it goes on about 'I might not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die to defend your right to say it.' Just because I might defend someone who chooses to stand up and share their views against the label of 'moron' DOESN'T necessarily mean I agree with those views myself.
And round and round it goes... So you're the defender of free speech. I'm sure you know anyone can post their opinion here at RPG Codex, it's just that they get beaten to a bloody pulp if their view is moronic by the consensus. So what you really want is to make everyone act nice. It's just another opinion, most don't agree, you get beaten to a bloody pulp, rinse, repeat.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Skorpios said:

Rape. Some lines you just don't cross, and that's one of them.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I disagree. In the real world, they are both wrong. In fact, murder is worst because; there is no second chance for the victim. With rape, though very traumatic, a victim can recover and still move on with their life. With murder, it's game over.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
I disagree. In the real world, they are both wrong. In fact, murder is worst because; there is no second chance for the victim. With rape, though very traumatic, a victim can recover and still move on with their life. With murder, it's game over.

Both are wrong, but usually murder, no matter how wrong, is much more understandable than rape. For instance, when you go out to war to fend for your country, you'll go in and kill on behalf of an ideal, you won't rape people for, say, American values. In videogame terms, this means that commiting a crime will have a point, not sexual gratification. You may kill for money, power or righteousness, but raping for money, power of righteousness is hard to swallow as a concept. In fact, imagine you're hired to, instead of putting an end to a gang of 20 raiders who have been plaguing a small community, that you're payed to rape them. Which will it be? The PC putting an end to the attrocities of criminals, or trying to single-handedly raping 20 individuals as a way to make them stop? :shock:

Murder may be game over, but its more of a simbolic act, and more adaptable to moral issues than taking out sexual frustrations by forcing yourself sexually on someone. And sometimes, the quick release of death is much more welcome than living the rest of your life traumatized by rape.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
I don't trust a developer to portray rape appropriately. Simple reason being the only devs who would do it appropriately would be the ones who would choose against it being in the game. If any dev were to put it in a game it would probably be some asshole game like Postal 2.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Volourn said:

I'll tell you what, Volourn.. Go out and rape someone, then try to convince a jury you did that in self defense.

Spazmo

Erudite
I don't think rape can be handled appropriately at all. It's inherently distasteful and I'd rather not see it in any game.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
rape is worse.

Skorpios: you've seen greater stupidity so that excuses the obvious stupidity of the poster pasted here?

Every single thing in the copied post is absolutely fucking moronic. Some of us here like to laugh at these kinds of things...you don't so why bother visiting the threads that contain them?

I used to rather like your insistence on courtesy and general decency towards others, but you have become so intransigent, so tenacious and so one-trick pony about it that I would rather be rude then have to read another thread wherein you go on and on about what jerks we all are.

Treat the stupid and the clueless as they deserve - as fucking stupid and clueless. If you are so concerned about this poor wanker being "violated" somehow, head on over and invite him here and let him know we are discussing his posts; I know I would get a kick out of his appearance.

Oh yeah one more thing: "moron indicators"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
*sigh* I, for one, make a slight differnce when it comes to murder vs. killing.

Killing CAN be justifed. Self defense, fighting for a cause that is just, and what have you.

Murder on the other hand CAN'T be justifed. It also can't be done in self defense. It is done premediated and for no moral reason.

Rape is worst than killing at its base; but it is no worst than murder.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Spazmo said:
I don't think rape can be handled appropriately at all. It's inherently distasteful and I'd rather not see it in any game.

Spazmo is still tramatized after I raped him in the butt.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
Growing up in a Jewish school helps you with two things; Gentile jokes and Morality in the Torah/Talmud, and there is no real argument that in the Torah it says "Thou shall not Kill", it is very obviously "Thou shall not murder."
Rape?
To play Devil's advocate, there is the argument/view that the majority of times a woman is raped it is because she is wearing clothes that is made to appeal to a certain group of people; and the rapist is typically so confused by the signals that he just keeps on with evil act.
Also, what do you think about the way rape is being handeled these days? I have heard that most Collages push the idea that if one goes from one sexual act to another without verbal permission it is considerd rape.
Isnt that a bit off the deep end?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom