Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avatars and animation in shareware RPGs

Hajo

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
No random treasure drops, not a single one.

But if you always know it advance what you'll get from a killed monster, isn't that boring?

Random drops offer variety, and each time you attack an enemy, there is the hope for a special drop. If you remove that, you remove one of the drivers from the game.

Item crafting is good, but IMO it should be a supplement for random drops, not a replacement.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I dislike anything random (drops, maps, quests, etc). I know that there are many games that did it well (Diablo, EVN, Gearhead, etc), but it's not my cup of tea as I prefer something hand-crafted. Fallout didn't have random drops, every time you fight the raiders in that camp, you know what you will find there. It fitted the location and characters. Minor variety wouldn't have made a lot of difference there.

Hajo

Liturgist
Ok. Handmade, predfefined levels and content is usually of higher quality than randomly generated stuff, so your approach has its merits.

I'll not argue, just want to let you know that I'm leaning very much to random genreators, because I like having a different game every time I start a new character. I trade some of the qualities that hand made levels have for the unpredictability and surprise of randomized levels and item drops.

Actually in my own project I try to mend both approaches. There are small hand made templates, e.g. single rooms, or groups of rooms, but the levels are still made by a random generator - so I get different levels each time, yet the rooms can have hand made quality. Also there is a mixture of random items and preset items.

Before Exitium posts another screenshot to blame me I frankly tell: I'm a lousy designer, so results are currently very mediocre, still I think the basic idea of mixing hand-crafted and random content is good.

Human Shield

Augur
I don't like random drops, I'd prefer random encounters where the items that the enemies have on them make sense.

Without randomized things then the player will rush to the best stuff because it is at the same place all the time.

ElastiZombie

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
PennyAnte said:
Big version first, "lite" version later also seems like the way to hit the market IMO.
It does sound like a good idea.

You could always release the big version and run a poll on your official game website to find out how much interest there is for the lite version.. or a poll on other game sites that would distribute your game.. if they will let you, that is.

pyrrho12

Novice
Human Shield said:
I don't like random drops, I'd prefer random encounters where the items that the enemies have on them make sense.

Without randomized things then the player will rush to the best stuff because it is at the same place all the time.
On the other hand, if everything is random, it's less exciting for the player to explore new places since the things you find there are likely to be pretty similar to the things you've found elsewhere.

Human Shield

Augur
pyrrho12 said:
Human Shield said:

On the other hand, if everything is random, it's less exciting for the player to explore new places since the things you find there are likely to be pretty similar to the things you've found elsewhere.

True, and this became a problem with Morrowind. I'm calling for random encounters and locations with items created to match.

Fight weak bandits - weak stuff
Find dungeon that looks like it was searched - less stuff
Find dungeon with lots of skeletons that no one has survived - good stuff

The player can judge the risks of going in.
These locations can be generated and spread throughout the map.

Great work on Gearhead BTW.

Fez

Erudite
Good to hear you are going for non random drops, I've always enjoyed it more that way, and it usualy makes more sense too, eg. finding a wolf carrying an uzi or money and wielded weapons evaporating when you kill the NPC are always annoying to me. I hope this game works out for you as I'm actually looking forward to seeing this game after reading all the posts about it. :)

PennyAnte

Liturgist
To me, VD seems to be talking about a purely crafted-item gameworld, and is deliberately avoiding relying on both random items and a focus on seeding areas with developer-created items.

He said there are no random items at all. I also get the sense he's not going to be having situations where he stashes specific uber-gear in different key locations.

So I don't think there will be a tendency for players to beeline to the Vorpal Sword +3 of Pestillence stored in the chest guarded by the uber-troll in the cave in the Swamp of Despair. Because that stuff won't exist.

My guess is that when you defeat enemies, you'll find some of the items they had and maybe some ingredients for items. Take on well-trained soldiers from a well-organized group and they'll have powerful crafted gear as a standard. Break into a storeroom and you'll find all kinds of good stuff you can use for yourself, if your skill is high enough.

And, for the little it's worth, that would work great for me.

VD: Correct me if I have the wrong idea here.

Vault Dweller

Developer
PennyAnte said:
To me, VD seems to be talking about a purely crafted-item gameworld, and is deliberately avoiding relying on both random items and a focus on seeding areas with developer-created items.
Something like that, although there are a few artifacts of magical nature (nothing uber though). Here is an example (rough text):

This dagger belonged to a famous thief. The thief was pretty good at getting what he wanted, and what he wanted was usually locked, trapped, and well guarded. He treated stealing as a form of art, thinking that fighting with guards is for those who lack the skills to remain unseen and unheard. How and when he acquired the dagger, and how he parted with it, is not known, but those who used it spoke of it as a good luck charm as it seemed to make lockpicking much easier. There are stories about a black diamond in a pommel that generated darkness around it, but that was never confirmed.

In some cases, the artifacts could be melted and the magic ore could be used to make a new item dependng on the skills, of course. Needless to say the artifacts are extremely rare.

I also get the sense he's not going to be having situations where he stashes specific uber-gear in different key locations.
No. Instead there are items of different quality (i.e. bronze short sword, steel spear, etc). Only a skilled craftsman can improve items though (i.e add a nice edge- bonus damage, balance the blade - faster attacks, etc) That gives fighters a good reason to invest into crafting, non-fighting characters can also craft something and sell it using crafting as a source of income.

My guess is that when you defeat enemies, you'll find some of the items they had and maybe some ingredients for items. Take on well-trained soldiers from a well-organized group and they'll have powerful crafted gear as a standard. Break into a storeroom and you'll find all kinds of good stuff you can use for yourself
Exactly

PennyAnte

Liturgist
VD: Can we get a hosted CRPG forum for this game, esp. if it's coming out in approx. 1 year? I'd like a sticky on top with the links to other threads about the game you highlighted earlier (and this thread), plus a brief description of the game. You could post status reports when you felt they were warranted, we could ask questions.

Doable? Or are there too many forums already?

Vault Dweller

Developer
PennyAnte said:
VD: Can we get a hosted CRPG forum for this game, esp. if it's coming out in approx. 1 year?
Well, it's kinda early, in my opinion. While I have a lot of stuff to show and discuss, it's pointless without screenshots, and I won't post any until things like interface and avatars are finalized. You know, first impression and all that. I'd prefer to have a site with the info, screens, art, etc before I do that. I'd say that I will be ready to start the show in about 2-3 months, then I'd ask Saint for the forum.

I appreciate your interest though. If you have any questions, ask. I'll always reply.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
PennyAnte said:
@ Otaku_Hanzo: I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but I think asking for a forum for this game makes more sense than asking for a generic "review" forum.

I was serious about agreeing with you.

Was I serious about a Princess Maker forum?

Maaaaaaaaaybeh... :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom