Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EvilWolf

Learned

They don't want to strip mine, they want perpetual value like they had with DOS and have with Windows. They could buy Larian itself.
No they can't, Swen isn't selling. Maybe in a decade when he's started to think about retirement.
It's not up to Swen, MS would be buying the license to the IP from WotC to create a game in the universe. Just like Swen did. Do you think the Solasta devs asked Swen's permission to make their game?

Sorry you're a moron who doesn't know how WotC handles D&D licensing, Atleticano

Last edited:

PapaPetro

I'd like to see other systems within D&D that could be used alongside or standalone from the base game.
Battlesystem comes to mind as a past mechanical solution to large scale conflicts in D&D.
Modular mechanics from the TSR days; that way you can control gameplay complexity easily between casual and hardcore.

Plus it allows you to do more with the IP other than squad based adventure party games.
I want to command a fucken army of PCs.

scytheavatar

Scholar

They don't want to strip mine, they want perpetual value like they had with DOS and have with Windows. They could buy Larian itself.
No they can't, Swen isn't selling. Maybe in a decade when he's started to think about retirement.
It's not up to Swen, MS would be buying the license to the IP from WotC to create a game in the universe. Just like Swen did. Do you think the Solasta devs asked Swen's permission to make their game?

But why would they do that when they can get Obsidian to work on their own IP? Most of the hype for BG3 came from DOS2's success, the bear sex and the bizarre fake news of devs shitting on the game. I am not convinced the game would have sold that much less if it was DOS3 instead of BG3.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

But why would they do that when they can get Obsidian to work on their own IP? Most of the hype for BG3 came from DOS2's success, the bear sex and the bizarre fake news of devs shitting on the game. I am not convinced the game would have sold that much less if it was DOS3 instead of BG3.

Uh, because Soyerism was already obsolete when Deadfire was made (and didn't sell like this). If they want it Swen will fold. They'd turn the employees with the usual promises of being paid what they're worth, family security whatever. It takes commitments that Larian (from Swen on down) isn't in the business of making let alone keeping to stand up in the face of that. It's why EU is NATO whipping boy.

(to be clear so are most US citizens, and for similar reasons. Would help if EU could stand up to them then they'd have less power to crush us under their incompetent thumbs)

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
What the dorks who run MS (and much else) want more than anything else in the world is that 97% approval, and they've been known to be easily parted with their money by those who can plausibly promise it.

http://www.paulgraham.com/nerds.html

"Fampyr"
Wow such effort

Serendipitous cultural cognates like Newton and Leibniz hitting the calculus apparently independently and more or less simultaneously but with different notation are interesting, yes, and good on Soyer for noticing and making that a feature of his world.

Would that he had done something similar with Gods and Masters.

Last edited:

scytheavatar

Scholar

Uh, because Soyerism was already obsolete when Deadfire was made (and didn't sell like this). If they want it Swen will fold. They'd turn the employees with the usual promises of being paid what they're worth, family security whatever. It takes commitments that Larian (from Swen on down) isn't in the business of making let alone keeping to stand up in the face of that. It's why EU is NATO whipping boy.

(to be clear so are most US citizens, and for similar reasons. Would help if EU could stand up to them then they'd have less power to crush us under their incompetent thumbs)

Why would WOTC want to give exclusive license of 5E to one studio? And if they want to do it, Obsidian will be the last studio they want to give it to seeing how making Deadfire was enough to make them explode.

Unless you are suggesting Microsoft should buy Hasbro, which would be an interesting move. But ultimately not a good idea.

Desiderius

Patron

Why would WOTC want to give exclusive license of 5E to one studio? And if they want to do it, Obsidian will be the last studio they want to give it to seeing how making Deadfire was enough to make them explode.

Unless you are suggesting Microsoft should buy Hasbro, which would be an interesting move. But ultimately not a good idea.

MS can buy whatever they want (and there are agencies bigger than MS also interested in the kind of reach Larian enjoys rn) and what they want desperately is to suck less. As others have noted that might simply be Larian apart from 5E or that might be the whole thing altogether - Larian, WotC, and all. I doubt it would need to include Hasbro.

Elthosian

Arcane

MS can buy whatever they want (and there are agencies bigger than MS also interested in the kind of reach Larian enjoys rn) and what they want desperately is to suck less. As others have noted that might simply be Larian apart from 5E or that might be the whole thing altogether - Larian, WotC, and all. I doubt it would need to include Hasbro.
Yet Swen is swimming in money right now and can’t be forced into selling the company. I very much doubt he will take any offer as outrageous as it might be. If he wanted to retire he could probably have done so from the DOS2 money alone.

Also, remember that a good chunk of Larian’s good karma came from being an independent studio. If they’re acquired whatever they do next would face as much if not more skepticism as a Bioware title.

scytheavatar

Scholar

MS can buy the 5e license without making it exclusive. They gain nothing from cutting Larian out of the market.

And you need to be realistic about the market's ability to bandwagon, Elden Ring is a way more successful game than BG3 yet you don't see AAA devs rushing to make open world soulslike. It is also likely that Starfield will be a bigger hit than BG3 so it's not like MS needs to think Obsidian will be more profitable making a BG3 wannabe than a Skyrim wannabe.

easychord

Liturgist
WotC is run by someone who used to be at Microsoft, much to the annoyance of the "theatre of the mind" luvvies who want to keep the hobby pure. A deal isn't out of the question, since their leadership believes that the DnD brand is "under monetised". At least it would be a bulwark against Games Workshop's legion of plastic crack addicts taking over the hobby for nerd computer games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom