Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Akachi

Educated
Who cares if they would? What pointless questions. Obsidian is a worthless company now that's owned by M$ no less and hasn't made a good game in a decade, and almost no one who made the company what it was works there anymore. Not to mention BG3 sucks and the way everyone here loves it says a lot about the state of the Codex and the horrible taste of the average user here, who loves garbage. WotC sucks hard too. I rather see a good dev make something based on D&D using an OSR ruleset.

Gargaune

Magister
Obsidian was known to make cool sequels to the games. If you don't remember this, you need to know that they did Kotor 2 which was sequel to Kotor 1 and they also did Fallout: New Vegas which was the sequel to Fallout 3. I think it still count as sequel (debatable). So, what do you think is the chance for them (Obsidian) to make a sequel to Baldur's Gate 3 or a D&D game based on the BaLDUR'S Gate 3 engine?
Zero. BG3's been a massive critical and commercial success, it's one of the major titles of 2023 together with Starfield and Phantom Liberty whether you think it's warranted or not, so Swen would never pass on the license and WotC have no reason to swap him out, you don't mess with the golden goose. Doubly so when it's your only goose, WotC have lately struggled with some scandals in the P&P department, their big movie underperformed, and none of their other videogame projects have made a splash, Larian's their big win.

You have to remember that in both cases you described (plus the NWN IP) there was a gap for Obsidian to step into - BioWare was veering off the third-party D&D and Star Wars IPs to their own Dragon Age and Mass Effect projects, respectively, and Bethesda had their hands full alternating between the Elder Scrolls and their newly acquired Fallout brand. There's no such opening here, BG3 is D:OS3 for all intents and purposes, Larian even cancelled their Divinity: Fallen Heroes spinoff to focus on it, so they'll take a quick break once the patch cycle's done, then jump right into developing the fourth one. Swen might revive that strategy spinoff to keep the Divinity IP going with a parallel team, but he won't prioritise it over the D&D license.

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
Microsoft would almost certainly much rather Obsidian use settings it already totally owns or creates something it can own and exploit instead of paying WoTC for their setting.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Obsidian is making Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2. It's going to be many, many years before they are free enough to work on a D&D game. And as people mentioned it is unlikely Microsoft will allow them to work on an IP they do not own.

I don't think they'll make an isometric rpg again, or even in a mid term scenario. They seem to be going for the not-Skyrim experience right now.

Herumor

Scholar
I don't think there's anyone left at Obsidian whom I would trust to make a good D&D video game.

This makes me wonder what Ziets is gonna end up making with his new studio.

ADL

Prophet
Larian should use the bones of DivOS/BG3 for a Neverwinter Nights 3. Wonder if a game like that would be viable today with modding as the primary appeal.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Feargus is done making NERD games. Everything going forward is going to be first-person shooty bazinga games because that's what sells, dammit!

Kruyurk

Learned
The Kotor engine had nothing special. Obsidian kept the subpar gameplay and structure of the first game, and added better narrative elements to it, making a better game.
I didn't play enough Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but my impression is that the same apply in this case. The Bethesda engine was good, but "simple" enough for Obsidian to use it make a great game thanks to the quality of the narrative elements.

The Larian engine seems much more specific to the identity of Larian, and as such could not be easily given to another studio and expect the same quality in terms of gameplay and overall game structure. Many years ago Obsidian would have at least been able to easily outdo Larian on the writing, but not today.

I don't mean ill to the people at Obsidian, but for me they are a thing of the past. I don't expect anything from them anymore. The Obsidian that did Kotor 2 and New Vegas doesn't exist anymore and it will be other studios that do worthy successors to these games.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Feargus is done making NERD games. Everything going forward is going to be first-person shooty bazinga games because that's what sells, dammit!
BG3 selling 10 million in a week on PC alone has thoroughly debunked this line of thought.

Gargaune

Magister
Larian should use the bones of DivOS/BG3 for a Neverwinter Nights 3. Wonder if a game like that would be viable today with modding as the primary appeal.
As a very, very basic core concept, Swen's BG3 with its co-op focus already has more in common with NWN than it does with BG. But that's as far as it will go, Larian didn't want to stray too far from the D:OS formula to begin with, whereas aping NWN in all its aspects is orders of magnitude more of a departure, they'd practically have to start over. You don't just "graft" a toolset like the Aurora on an existing platform, it needs to be there at the ground level from day one and every other subsequent design decision stems from it. Swen did mention something about modding tools in a relatively recent interview, but he warned that "you'd need a team and it would take time" to do stuff with it.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
BG3 selling 10 million in a week on PC alone has thoroughly debunked this line of thought.
And PoE2 showed that Obsidian aren't capable of capturing Larian's success. They're going to chase the New Vegas dragon until it kills them.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And PoE2 showed that Obsidian aren't capable of capturing Larian's success. They're going to chase the New Vegas dragon until it kills them.
It didn't do Larian numbers, but it was still successful over time. Marketing failure. Also Feargus/Parker failure, but nothing to be done about that. Since Pentiment was a critical hit it's within the realm of possibility that Feargus will approve of Sawyer's Pillars Tactics idea.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Yeah it's much more likely that the Ship of Fools we are pleased to call the "games industry" will lurch off to starboard and make a ton more fantasy roleplaying games with pervy elements, Obsidian might well be enlisted, as one of the more experienced companies in the business.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
Am in a hurry right now, but this is the idea of this thread.
Obsidian was known to make cool sequels to the games. If you don't remember this, you need to know that they did Kotor 2 which was sequel to Kotor 1 and they also did Fallout: New Vegas which was the sequel to Fallout 3. I think it still count as sequel (debatable). So, what do you think is the chance for them (Obsidian) to make a sequel to Baldur's Gate 3 or a D&D game based on the BaLDUR'S Gate 3 engine?
What do you think? Would it be possible in current age?
Obsidian would rather do Icewind Dale 3.
Bit more important question is: should Icewind Dale 3 have RtWp combat? The answer is yes, only improved.

Obsidian would sooner do Pillars of Eternity 3 than a Baldur's Gate sequel.
Maybe this is the next game Sawyer is ideating it.

Barbarian

Arcane
Reminder that the best things fagsidian ever did was literally a Fallout 3 mod and a buggy(but very well-writtren) Kotor mod.

Screw Soyer and the rest of 'dem despicable faggots.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom