Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm pretty sure the idea is to allow for thief (and similar) players to enter the shop and steal stuff while the shopkeeper is sleeping.
It's really easy to do.
You just sneak and use Telekinesis...
Pickpocket is different though.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
So far no schedule mods work sufficiently well.

There are just some things I suggest everyone to do:

1 - dont use pop mods (population). Morrowind is designed with the vanilla landmass in mind
1 - dont try to fundamentally change Morrowind's dice roll combat
2 - the whole game was built with a static gameworld in mind, use something like Patrols or Travelling mechants instead of an encompassing schedule mod

Yosharian

Arcane
There is NOTHING interesting about having to wait another 8 hours for a fucking NPC to open their shop

I'm pretty sure the idea is to allow for thief (and similar) players to enter the shop and steal stuff while the shopkeeper is sleeping.

I do NOT find it fun to go to a shop and realise it's past 6pm and they've gone home for the day so now I need to go to an inn and rest which costs money.

In pretty much all of Bethesda's games you can hit T (or whatever the key is) to wait in front of the shop.
Allowing thieves to plunder shops at nighttime is barely interesting, it presents its own balance problems that are difficult to solve and ignores the fact that there is already compelling gameplay in the form of challenging thieves to steal from under the noses of shopkeepers and their guards.

Is it a bit lame for immersion? Absolutely, but I really don't care, MW has plenty of issues that impact immersion, it's not really an immersive game in that sense.

The wait thing is a fair point but it's still a whole lot of time and effort just to implement something that barely has any impact on the way the game is played. So I just press T to skip the mechanic? Why is this interesting?

Ash

Arcane
Works well in games with hunger/sleep/thirst etc systems, where there is consequences for waiting around, but Morrowind doesn't have that of course. Though there are mods for it.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is NOTHING interesting about having to wait another 8 hours for a fucking NPC to open their shop

I do NOT find it fun to go to a shop and realise it's past 6pm and they've gone home for the day so now I need to go to an inn and rest which costs money.

In pretty much all of Bethesda's games you can hit T (or whatever the key is) to wait in front of the shop.
Allowing thieves to plunder shops at nighttime is barely interesting, it presents its own balance problems that are difficult to solve and ignores the fact that there is already compelling gameplay in the form of challenging thieves to steal from under the noses of shopkeepers and their guards.

Is it a bit lame for immersion? Absolutely, but I really don't care, MW has plenty of issues that impact immersion, it's not really an immersive game in that sense.

The wait thing is a fair point but it's still a whole lot of time and effort just to implement something that barely has any impact on the way the game is played. So I just press T to skip the mechanic? Why is this interesting?
Soon you will run out of places to rob, as the items that are statically placed in the houses do not respawn.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't see it as much as about immersion but about functionality. There have been several times when i played Morrowind and wanted to steal some stuff from a shopkeeper but they just stand there and they wont fucking move no matter what - at that point they're a security camera bot, not a shopkeeper.

There are ways with enchantment/magic, but having the NPCs not stay rooted in place does give more alternative options for the player which IMO is way more important than not having to press T to advance time. And TBH chances are by the time i get access to said magic-based ways, i may not need whatever the shop has.

Yosharian

Arcane
I suppose but then it has implications for the world which are just as immersion-breaking as schedules.

For example if your shopkeeper NPC leaves his shop and doesn't leave a guard there 24/7 or some sort of magical anti-thief protection etc, then shopkeepers in Morrowind basically give their stuff away for free to any thief who can pick a lock.

Which is retarded and breaks immersion.

So either way it's retarded.

CHEMS

Scholar
if your shopkeeper NPC leaves his shop and doesn't leave a guard there 24/7 or some sort of magical anti-thief protection etc, then shopkeepers in Morrowind basically give their stuff away for free to any thief who can pick a lock.
Arcanum did that, i remember the magic shop in Tarant that had trapped chests and a summoned beast guarding them
didn't stop me from stealing the shit out of them

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
if your shopkeeper NPC leaves his shop and doesn't leave a guard there 24/7 or some sort of magical anti-thief protection etc, then shopkeepers in Morrowind basically give their stuff away for free to any thief who can pick a lock.
Arcanum did that, i remember the magic shop in Tarant that had trapped chests and a summoned beast guarding them
didn't stop me from stealing the shit out of them
Some shopkeepers have all their gold on their person.
You either have to kill them or just simply use the Dominate spell or the Elixir of Hypnotic Suggestion on them and take it from their inventory while talking to them.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I suppose but then it has implications for the world which are just as immersion-breaking as schedules.

For example if your shopkeeper NPC leaves his shop and doesn't leave a guard there 24/7 or some sort of magical anti-thief protection etc, then shopkeepers in Morrowind basically give their stuff away for free to any thief who can pick a lock.

So either way it's retarded.
Most merchants in Morrowind have shit items.
All the best items are unique Artifacts you find in various places.
However, there's some good stuff in their item selection - Grand Soul Gems, Amulet of Recall, etc...

CHEMS

Scholar
Starting a new run today, i'm gonna try out the deleveler someone here recommended, i think it was luj1 that recommended it

I wonder how it'll play out with "The Undead" mod, i expect assrape

CHEMS

Scholar
Gotta love HUMILIATING Arilles with a Hanafuda game. He just lost all his money to my superior abilities. One of Morrowind's best mods ever. Now i can afford a Lute for my bard playthrough with the bardic inspiration mod.

hlnqly.png

I like having survival mechanics and camping mechanics and environmental mechanics because they pose interesting questions if done well, like can I survive the trek through this frosty mountain or do i need more supplies, better gear, etc

Survival mechanics feel schizo if the NPCs aren't subject to it or at least look like they do. I was playing Skyrim with a weather mod (Frostfall?) once and died of cold in the middle of Windhelm, while the merchants carried on talking in their stalls. The tavern wench walked past my body during the killcam. In the mods defense I think you can set it to pause inside settlements, but still.

Funposter

Arcane
Gotta love HUMILIATING Arilles with a Hanafuda game. He just lost all his money to my superior abilities. One of Morrowind's best mods ever. Now i can afford a Lute for my bard playthrough with the bardic inspiration mod.
Hanafuda is really fun. Minigames in general are quite comfy and underappreciated.

CHEMS

Scholar
lmao get fucked Trebonius

i'm stealing your shit, necromancers amulet at lvl 5

empire cucks will never recover from this

kakrv2.png

fk4fyj.png

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

kakrv2.png

fk4fyj.png

kakrv2.png

fk4fyj.png
It's a great amulet, but you can Enchant other exquisite amulets yourself with even better effects.
I'm a fan of the Constant Restore Health effect 4 Pts on self.

CHEMS

Scholar

kakrv2.png

fk4fyj.png

kakrv2.png

fk4fyj.png
It's a great amulet, but you can Enchant other exquisite amulets yourself with even better effects.
Sure, but at lvl 5 i can't enchant crap... Well i could if i cheese the fortify skill spells, i do like getting strong artifacts at the beginning of the game, though

The health regeneration doesn't help much, this is a glass cannon that gets wrecked by nyx hounds, so getting as much fortify inteligence as possible is always the better choice, there's that robe with fortify magicka on Solstheim, i think i'll go for it now

You can just nuke all of Tamriel with all that magicka

Funposter

Arcane
Spell Absorption is worth it over custom gear, especially if you aren't using The Atronach as your birthsign for some reason. Restore Health CE really doesn't need to be more than one point IMO because the utility is in not needing to heal while out and about, rather than anything to do with combat. Exclusive Restore Health Potions are relatively inexpensive, lightweight and plentiful. Just stock up on those.

CHEMS

Scholar
Spell Absorption is worth it over custom gear, especially if you aren't using The Atronach as your birthsign for some reason. Restore Health CE really doesn't need to be more than one point IMO because the utility is in not needing to heal while out and about, rather than anything to do with combat. Exclusive Restore Health Potions are relatively inexpensive, lightweight and plentiful. Just stock up on those.
The restore health will come in handy to mitigate the damage from Mantle of Woe. Not that i'd give a fuck about the DOT, i have over 800 magicka and i can heal up anytime.

Also some brotherhood fag tried to shank me in my sleep, so as a punishment i damaged his strength but left him alive. He's now stuck in icy waters, for ever and ever...

8hpjxd.png
jjli4e.png

Yosharian

Arcane
I like having survival mechanics and camping mechanics and environmental mechanics because they pose interesting questions if done well, like can I survive the trek through this frosty mountain or do i need more supplies, better gear, etc

Survival mechanics feel schizo if the NPCs aren't subject to it or at least look like they do. I was playing Skyrim with a weather mod (Frostfall?) once and died of cold in the middle of Windhelm, while the merchants carried on talking in their stalls. The tavern wench walked past my body during the killcam. In the mods defense I think you can set it to pause inside settlements, but still.
Yeah it's a bit shit.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I don't think this breaks immersion or is even unrealistic - most shops even today in rural areas do not have any anti-thief protection (let alone in a supposedly medieval fantasy landscape) beyond locks. In Morrowind there are guards patrolling the streets (though they just walk around randomly, in Oblivion which introduces much better pathing, guards do a better job giving the impression they patrol the cities). You can expect guards in large shops, but smaller shops (the majority you'd see in TES games) wouldn't have those.

CHEMS

Scholar

I don't think this breaks immersion or is even unrealistic - most shops even today in rural areas do not have any anti-thief protection (let alone in a supposedly medieval fantasy landscape) beyond locks. In Morrowind there are guards patrolling the streets (though they just walk around randomly, in Oblivion which introduces much better pathing, guards do a better job giving the impression they patrol the cities). You can expect guards in large shops, but smaller shops (the majority you'd see in TES games) wouldn't have those.
There are mods that allows NPCs to enter another cell, so if you get caught stealing in a shop, expect 4 guards jumping on you. There's also a mod that allows you to remove all bounty in a area as long as you didn't leave any witness alive

Yosharian

Arcane

It breaks immersion because with the amount of thieves that exist in the game world shopkeepers across the entire continent would go out of business within days. No, guards in the streets don't prevent this because they can't detect theft occurring in an adjacent cell.

CHEMS

Scholar

It breaks immersion because with the amount of thieves that exist in the game world shopkeepers across the entire continent would go out of business within days. No, guards in the streets don't prevent this because they can't detect theft occurring in an adjacent cell.
Your problems are over my friend

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45904

Yosharian

Arcane

Your problems are over my friend

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45904
That is pretty cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom