Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Volition shut down by THQ Nordic

flyingjohn

Arcane
Saints row soy edition wasn't a flop, it was a huge financial flop( 50+ million budget ). There is no way any dev would still be open after a fuckup like that. Add to that that the previous game(agents of boredom) was a another flop, it ain't no wonder why they are getting shut down.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Not exactly surprising. Volition's Gat Out of Hell bombed. Agents of Mayhem bombed. Saints Row bombed.

They were given huge budget, shit ton of time, and still produced commercial AND critical failure.

I bet they tried to shop the studio around and nobody was interested. Axe it is.

Modron

Arcane
Did Gat Out of Hell have a huge budget? It was just a dlc expansion, to a dlc expansion they stretched thin into a full game (SR4), that they stretched thin into a full game. I imagine the costs were smaller than you might think.

Last edited:

Spacer's Nugget

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
RIP in pieces.

The last arguably "good" game they made was Saints Row 3 (for me it was Red Faction: Guerrilla, the sequel wasted so much potential).

Hopefully, Embracer won't touch Slipgate Ironworks, I need those DNF (in Phantom Fury), DX (in Core Decay), and C&C (in Tempest Rising) spiritual successors/ripoffs.

orcinator

Liturgist
Like I said in the main thread I wholeheartedly recommend everyone go watch the last 3-4 missions of NuSaints to see what happens when you let a catlady write a gangster game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
RIP Volition, Tyler Durden's rich bitch fat soap company would probably make a more productive use of the office space.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
As I said in the other thread: 80% of that studio has been paycheck stealers for years.
Save the world design team and perhaps a few others, and put them in a decent studio. The game designers, marketers, producers and definitely the writing teams need to have a great, wonderful, healthy life, just one that's away from video games.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
What saddens me the most Volition had a powerful engine created internally. This is very remarkable today in the era of Unreal and Unity dominance.

What happens now with the engine? Will be discontinued?

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
What saddens me the most Volition had a powerful engine created internally. This is very remarkable today in the era of Unreal and Unity dominance.

What happens now with the engine? Will be discontinued?
Embracer owns the engine and if they want they can use it for any game they publish/develop.

jaekl

Learned
Patron
I wished for their demise every day after I saw the trailer for the saint's row reboot and now my wish has come true. Now I've got to decide who to focus the power of pure hatred on to next...

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1693564293081.png

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wished for their demise every day after I saw the trailer for the saint's row reboot and now my wish has come true. Now I've got to decide who to focus the power of pure hatred on to next...
Bioware is my choice, it is a easy bet since already it is just a walking corpse.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Mimimi got killed by the current economy. A couple of years ago they could have probably survived with their profit margins, but these days finding funding for such a niche game has become nearly impossible.

If THQ Noridic shuts down PB now it will look bad for their big upcoming Gothic Remake, I wouldn't be surprised if they will keep them on life support until that game's release.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Larian?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom