Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unity reveals plans to charge developers per game install - plans modified and CEO fired, lol

Glop_dweller

Prophet
So if a developer quits Unity, and closes their account; stops paying them... Does that affect the customer's ability to reinstall their game?

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Those clarifications from Trese are overly optimistic. I have a PC, a Steamdeck and Mac I carry around. I also have a love-hate relationship with Star Trader: Frontiers.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
This brings up sort of an interesting conundrum.

What if someone, let's say for example Limbic, whose M&M X is still available on Steam, says to Unity Technologies that they can't afford to pay these retroactive royalties, and turns around and "blames" Steam for having the game even still available to purchase, or, more to the point, reinstall? Steam will, of course, laugh it off, which I guess would lead to Limbic demanding their game get taken off Steam, which then results in a new lack of income? How do you weigh that potential income vs. the theoretical number of times owners of M&M X will want to reinstall it some day?

This could have all sorts of bizarro implications.

NwNgger

Educated
I can not fathom the depths of retardation that caused this to happen. How did not a single person bring up "What would happen if someone just repeatedly installed and uninstalled a program?"? Not a single person? Even ole Bill Gates was talked out of limited installs for Windows Vista. Even HE fucking saw how retarded this would be. Someone at Unity must really want that company gone. And infiltrated it Eve Online style before destroying it from within.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can not fathom the depths of retardation that caused this to happen. How did not a single person bring up "What would happen if someone just repeatedly installed and uninstalled a program?"? Not a single person? Even ole Bill Gates was talked out of limited installs for Windows Vista. Even HE fucking saw how retarded this would be? Someone at Unity must really want that company gone. And infiltrated it Eve Online style before destroying it from within.

Someone probably did, but the retarded CEO didn't care or understand.

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
1694553529748.png

Trust me bro, I will figure it out, I know how stuff work.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
If this is retroactive, I imagine a lot of Unity games would disappear from Steam, like King Crispy 's example. One potential benefit could be more people going over to Godot and giving its development a boost, but it doesn't outweigh the negative of this baffling decision.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Steam could include the Unity runtime as part of the steam client. That way Unity games sold on steam could technically be "DLC" for the steam client rather than separate installs. Or maybe someone else could make a "base unity game" that everyone else could hook into.

ultra loser

Scholar
Is it not possible to disable the telemetry shit in jewnity? Or what happens if you block their servers, the game won't install?

deuxhero

Arcane
I can not fathom the depths of retardation that caused this to happen. How did not a single person bring up "What would happen if someone just repeatedly installed and uninstalled a program?"? Not a single person? Even ole Bill Gates was talked out of limited installs for Windows Vista. Even HE fucking saw how retarded this would be. Someone at Unity must really want that company gone. And infiltrated it Eve Online style before destroying it from within.
My first thought was how uninstall/reinstall would work if that really was based on installation.

Another question is "Doesn't this make every Unity game defacto have DRM that needs to call home after install?" Physical releases of PC games still happen as LE things.

deuxhero

Arcane
Steam could include the Unity runtime as part of the steam client. That way Unity games sold on steam could technically be "DLC" for the steam client rather than separate installs. Or maybe someone else could make a "base unity game" that everyone else could hook into.
Nah, Steam should just say "Starting Jan 1st 2024, we'll be charging Unity Technologies $0.25 per installation of a Unity engine game."

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Who would've known that John Riccitello was going to be the man that made Godot popular.

Wow. Just fucking wow.

Implementing this retroactively is most definitely legally unenforceable, and Unity is going to be in deep shit if someone calls their bluff and actually takes them to court over it.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
This is so gonna get fucking botted. What an absolutely brain dead decision.
You've basically made every product made with Unity always online and taken even more decisions away from game devs. How the hell is offline play going to work if the engine phones home?
And you've also pretty much destroyed the idea of fair free to play titles, they'll have to aggressively monetize it now.

What a disaster.

Gerrard

Arcane
Reading that title made me remember one former EA CEO who suggested charging players for in-game ammunition. Spoiler alert: that guy is now the CEO of Unity. You can recognize these retards by their MO.
So like The Hunter did?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
An "Install" also means EACH TIME a game gets streamed (like from stadia) or brought up in a web browser. So If I streamed a game 5 times/sessions, it would cost the dev 5 times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom