Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is this still hobbled by being 32-bit and based on obsolete middleware? I quit because for year after year my hardware was way beyond specs but I got about 5 FPS when anything important happened in PvP.

Not sure, I haven't tried PVPing lately, but I can run dual monitors and watch Youtube or screw around on the Codex while on it and still pull around 200 fps. So whatever it's doing, it's not overly resource intensive.

Codex Year of the Donut
Eclipse wasn't a brand new engine, it was just another revision of the same aurora engine with new shiny features. Bioware was already discussing the "eclipse engine" as far back as 2004, prior to the release of Jade Empire(which is another game using an aurora engine derivative.)
Yes, marketing material says otherwise because that's the point of marketing material. Buy our game with a brand new shiny engine with brand new shiny features.

In much the same way that PS4's OS is FreeBSD, Dragon Age's engine is Aurora.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

What is a game engine?

OS?

lol.
lol..
hi, finally got around to installing DAO so I thought I'd point out to you some of the things that are identical between NWN and DAO implying that DAO was not in fact a completely new engine but just an iteration upon the engine that was used for NWN, Kotor, ...

identical:
uses the same scripting language with some additions(it's even literally called 'nwscript')
compiled scripts also have an extension of '.ncs', just like they are in NWN(and kotor, and so on...), which stands for Neverwinter Compiled Script
uses the exact same file layout, right down to how it loads mods from the override folders.
uses many, many of the same file formats (gff, erf, hak, tlk, dlg, bif, ...), Did you know a lot of DAO tools are just updated NWN tools?

includes editor tools that are capable of opening both nwn and DAO-era files because it's just an iteration of NWN's toolset:
Hs1BEoj.png

see the GFF entry? Yeah.

I was unable to get mysql 2005 installed properly so I can't actually start up the main editor for comparisons there so :itsamystery:

If you have some evidence to the contrary that DAO wasn't just made on an iteration of the same engine beyond some PR talk, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, I see nothing to suggest that Eclipse isn't in the same Aurora family just like CDPR's engine used for Witcher 1 was.
NWN2 featured an entirely rewritten renderer, and indeed, it's still in the same family of engines. I'm not suggesting it didn't feature a lot of changes, but it's still the same family.

If you'd like to learn more, I'd really suggest reading about Xoreos. I'd assume they'd be knowledgeable enough to know whether it's the same engine or not considering it's a re-implementation of the engine family. And indeed, they include both DA and DA2.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Eclipse wasn't a brand new engine, it was just another revision of the same aurora engine with new shiny features. Bioware was already discussing the "eclipse engine" as far back as 2004, prior to the release of Jade Empire(which is another game using an aurora engine derivative.)
Yes, marketing material says otherwise because that's the point of marketing material. Buy our game with a brand new shiny engine with brand new shiny features.

In much the same way that PS4's OS is FreeBSD, Dragon Age's engine is Aurora.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

What is a game engine?

OS?

lol.
lol..
hi, finally got around to installing DAO so I thought I'd point out to you some of the things that are identical between NWN and DAO implying that DAO was not in fact a completely new engine but just an iteration upon the engine that was used for NWN, Kotor, ...

identical:
uses the same scripting language with some additions(it's even literally called 'nwscript')
compiled scripts also have an extension of '.ncs', just like they are in NWN(and kotor, and so on...), which stands for Neverwinter Compiled Script
uses the exact same file layout, right down to how it loads mods from the override folders.
uses many, many of the same file formats (gff, erf, hak, tlk, dlg, bif, ...), Did you know a lot of DAO tools are just updated NWN tools?
You mean the way any sane company would do things? Iterate, use stuff they already used "in a new way." Yes, I know all of those formats by heart, been playing with everything in the NWN and KOTOR overriders folder forever. Do you even know what those extensions mean? Do you know which files do what?

.tlk, .dlg, are fucking literally dialogue scripts (edit: Not literal computer scripting. Just portions of text/strings that tree out.). Open then up in an editor. I did. I modded someone else's mod so that I could go Prestige Class in KOTOR2 even if I'm a gray jedi (I think I set it at 50/50). Do you know what "kreia.dlg" looks like? It's just a fucking dialogue tree of everything Kreia says in the whole game, a shitload of nodes you can expand and contract.

I bet they also use "2da" files, which literally are tables of shit like classes, class descriptions, race combinations, the voice name for each voice, class kits etc. I know this because I was messing with them in Baldur's Gate last year, fucking around with trying to create new kits. They're so simple I edit most of that in Notepad++.

And I think it was ".tlk" you edit as a text document because it was a text document. They're meant for specific interactions and have a lot of script calls but you can still again edit them in Notepad++. Most of these files are not encrypted.

BG and BG2 also biffed. Do you know what biffing is?

File Name: Generalized Biffing
File Submitter: the bigg
File Submitted: 10 Mar 2009
File Category: IE Modding Tools

This WeiDU mod allows you to biff the content of the override folder for improved performance, that means the files are converted into the BIF file format and moved into the data folder. This works natively under OSX and Linux (if you use the correct executable) and is compatible with the common WeiDU stack un-install operation. The game thereby loads much faster again and the performance is running pretty smoothly without jerking.
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/39238-generalized-biffing/

(Granted I just let the EET installer handle the "biffing" choice)

MySQL lmao.

Well. You proven to me that Dragon Age uses the same... data organization/scripting... as Baldur's Gate. Much good. You literally described what I was doing for a year with Baldur's Gate because I was stupid bored.

You realize I know most of this shit by heart because I've looked at 2da table references (example) so much that it's imprinted in my brain. Why? Because I try to find ways to circumvent shit, knowing the format, knowing the specific variables.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I don't see any evidence suggesting it's not, but a lot suggesting it is.
Try programming for once.
I've probably been doing it for longer than you've been alive.
Popped open DAO and nwn2 in disassemblers, and to nobody's surprise, they share an overwhelming amount of classes which can be inferred by the RTTI.
Finally sharing something that's relevant. Don't waste my time talking about file extensions lol.

Actually would be interesting to compare the two because in a way they're two different branches off of Aurora, Obsidian and Bioware's respective methods of changing from solo-unit control to controlling more than one.

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
That Manaan part is quite disappointing, no real planet just jumping from one bugged quest to another, almost every time i had to teleport out of phase and then back to it so i can continue, the only nice things were those moments where i could talk shit about incompetent retards. Now i started doing that flashpoint but servers closed so i have to wait. For now everything looks quite cheap and simple, did they used all of their budget on that meh cinematic or what? Also look at those class icons, like from paint or smt, how can you fuck up that lol
wsKUxkU.png

Old ones
images

Last edited:

dacencora

Not even FFXIV can match the popularity of WoW. (Blizzard made a pretty impressive online client that has far better network performance than any other MMO) Anyone who thought that there would be a WoW-killer was deluding themselves. After they stop giving meaningful updates, its playerbase will continue to dwindle, but it’ll be because of lack of effort on WoW, not because another game pulled them away. And SWTOR is a WoW-clone. There was little chance it would “kill” WoW.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The early controversy re. SWTOR, about the "cartoonish" graphics, was interesting. Clearly BioWare were taking a leaf out of Blizzard's book (simplified graphics mean older computers can play, which means bigger potential audience), but although they did that part of it, the engine was still, unfortunately, quite a clunker.

dacencora

SWG > SWTOR
It really depends on what you want out of a game. I really like SWTOR and while I mostly missed the boat on SWG, there were some cool things about it too. SWG had a really cool sandbox thing going where you could craft all sorts of stuff and have a profession in the OT-era, which was dope, but the story Flashpoints in SWTOR are also really cool and it was a ton of fun to run through those with my bros. They’re different kind of games. SWTOR is much better for storyfags, however.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom