Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex 2023 GOTY - POLL IS CLOSED!

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
You have to be effin kidding me about Dreams in the Witch House being an RPG.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm surprised how many new games my old fart jaded ass has at least sampled last year.

Still haven't played BG3 tho, which is gonna undoubtedly win. Looking in from the outside I can see Larian writing, Zoolander characters and degenerate zoomerisms like bear sex. But I'll give it a chance.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This is the year when Codexers finally have the opportunity to vote a true Jagged Alliance game the Codex GotY, but they will instead grant that honor to the latest entry in a series primarily known for bear-buggery.

00100-837017135uicds.png

bg3tzf2t.png

Sweeper

Arcane
So, let me throw a hypothetical scenario at you. Let's say that there's a person out there, we'll call him NotNotSweeper, and let's say that this person hasn't played any of the titles listed for Codex GOTY 2023, including BG3, but he has a burning desire to rate BG3 a 0. Would you consider it unethical to do so?

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
So, let me throw a hypothetical scenario at you. Let's say that there's a person out there, we'll call him NotNotSweeper, and let's say that this person hasn't played any of the titles listed for Codex GOTY 2023, including BG3, but he has a burning desire to rate BG3 a 0. Would you consider it unethical to do so?

The sole limit to Vote on the GOTY poll is having an account before 2024.

That is per design, you actually could limit any spam in the poll but I guess that is (understandable) way too much effort. So, lying is basically part of the game rules.

There will most likely also people who put it on 5 just to stick it to the other "tribe" as well, so tell your friend, who is obviously not you, to go ahead and Vote according to his conscience

Sweeper

Arcane
There will most likely also people who put it on 5 just to stick it to the other "tribe" as well, so tell your friend, who is obviously not you, to go ahead and Vote according to his conscience
I appreciate the perspective, but I was mostly joking. I do want to rate it a 0, but cheating tickles my 'tism in a bad way.
There's that, but also I don't want to be reincarnated as a sexually abused bear in China.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
let's say that this person hasn't played any of the titles listed for Codex GOTY 2023, including BG3, but he has a burning desire to rate BG3 a 0. Would you consider it unethical to do so?
If enough people do this it'll end up boosting BG3's score since Felipe will just scrub all the "BG3 - 0 and nothing else" shitpost votes like what happened with Disco Elysium.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why would you even vote for a game you haven't played?

The only reason I can imagine is pushing some agenda while not caring about RPGs at all.

Solution to such people should be beheading.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This list might serve as a good source to find games to play in 10 years.

I actually did play 1 game, albeit only the demo, and only for like an hour. Diablo 4. Gave it a big fat fuckin 1.
I gave it 2. After all we have to include on the scale games such as Starfield and - may Allah forgive me for uttering these words - Stray Gods (there should be a 0 just for this one game).

Goldschmidt

Learned

I actually did play 1 game, albeit only the demo, and only for like an hour. Diablo 4. Gave it a big fat fuckin 1.
I gave it 2. After all we have to include on the scale games such as Starfield and - may Allah forgive me for uttering these words - Stray Gods (there should be a 0 just for this one game).
In an ideal world, all voters should have played almost all games on the list to give a consistent and valid rating. I initially refrained of giving Diablo 4 any score because of that very reason but I said: "fuck it, it is probably horrible with regards to most on the list really."

I will never play Starfield. The youtube footage looked really bad. It is 100+ GB if you want to pirate it. Not worth my time. I am at ease with the thought that other codexers did their duty by playing it and giving it an appropriate score.

raeven

Educated

Figuring out whether starfield was a whole point lower than Diablo 4 was the most stressful part of this poll.

I ended up ranking both as a 2 but im still second guessing myself

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
why the urge to rate game you never played and never will. Are you afraid it will be 5/5 goty or something?
It's easy to imagine a polarizing game where the people who like it saw the trailer, bought it, and rated 5/5. But a lot of people saw the trailer, concluded it was shit and avoided.
So the result is it gets few votes 5/5. Which is fine, probably won't win goty. BUT
There's also games that just 10 people are aware of the existence of, which may be the bestest RPG released this year, so they rate it 5/5 and no one else rates it.

I want to be able to separate the "obviously polarizing so people who won't like it don't play it" games from the "obscure yet amazing" games. Easiest way seems to be to allow people to give low scores even if they didn't play. Although maybe there should just be a separate "didn't play because I lack of time/interest to play every game that release on steam" and "didn't play because it seems like shit" options on the poll (maybe next time?).

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
why the urge to rate game you never played and never will. Are you afraid it will be 5/5 goty or something?
It's easy to imagine a polarizing game where the people who like it saw the trailer, bought it, and rated 5/5. But a lot of people saw the trailer, concluded it was shit and avoided.
So the result is it gets few votes 5/5. Which is fine, probably won't win goty. BUT
There's also games that just 10 people are aware of the existence of, which may be the bestest RPG released this year, so they rate it 5/5 and no one else rates it.

I want to be able to separate the "obviously polarizing so people who won't like it don't play it" games from the "obscure yet amazing" games. Easiest way seems to be to allow people to give low scores even if they didn't play. Although maybe there should just be a separate "didn't play because I lack of time/interest to play every game that release on steam" and "didn't play because it seems like shit" options on the poll (maybe next time?).

That would be workable. I think we would avoid troll voting if we acknowledged reasons why people where desinterested.

How would it influence the scoring though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom