Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantom Fury - road movie-inspired full 3D sequel to Ion Fury

Spukrian

Savant
First three digits at 1m 04s in the reveal trailer, Phantom Fury is an immersive sim confirmed!

Star Citizen

Learned
Don't think this is trying to be from HL 2's era though, looks like they were trying to go for a late 90's/early 2000's vibe. I don't dislike ragdolls either but that to me just looked like an odd juxtaposition to the game's otherwise (inconsistent) "retro" visual design. Like I said in my previous post, it all just looks a strange ass blend of eras to me. Still though, keen to see what comes of this.

soulburner

Cipher
As I already said, there were no games back in the day that used such high fidelity graphics with a software renderer and no accelerated game disabled texture filtering. The pixels make this game look off - it doesn't fit any time frame from the past. It's more like a game from an alternative dimension, a different timeline, in which bilinear texture filtering was never developed. The very first screenshots of DNF were already running on GLQuake. Barely anyone ran the first Half-Life or Unreal in software mode. Nobody ran SiN in software more, which makes Blade's appearance in the trailer look weird. When Quake 3 was announced to not have a software renderer at all, nobody cared.

The only old games which look good today with pixels are the ones released before the 3dfx revolution. People prefer to run Quake without filtering to emulate the 1996 look. Nobody disables filtering when playing Quake 2 today.

With all this considered, I'm hyped.

lightbane

Arcane
The textures look weird indeed, as if combining low-res style with more "modern" ones, including ragdolls. At least this is an indie with PS2-tier level of graphics, for once. 10 GB of space for such graphics is a bit too much IMO.

I wonder if the devs will fold to angry trannies finding shampoo labels offensive once again.

Ash

Arcane
Early 2000s shooters (all 2000s shooters) sucked and were inferior to 90s shooters, and this looks like the former in terms of gameplay design. Not excited, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This game looks weird, you've got bits that look like they were from a mid 00s game, and then you have very pixel-y textures that look straight off a game that just figured out how to put textures on models. Either way, this looks like its going to be mostly like Ion Fury IN REAL 3D, but with lower quality level design.

Fargus

Arcane
Looked sorta cool up until the actual gunplay. Feedback when shooting enemies looked weak as fuck, the ragdoll physics really don't mesh well at all with that visual style. The way they lurch into rag after soaking up bullets looks soulless and cheap, they should use death animations instead imo. Also what's with the jaggedness/pixilation on models/textures and lack of consistency in the overall style? Some assets look from the PS 1's era, others from the 2000's and some modern.

lol is that Blade from Sin?

Star Citizen

Learned
Looked sorta cool up until the actual gunplay. Feedback when shooting enemies looked weak as fuck, the ragdoll physics really don't mesh well at all with that visual style. The way they lurch into rag after soaking up bullets looks soulless and cheap, they should use death animations instead imo. Also what's with the jaggedness/pixilation on models/textures and lack of consistency in the overall style? Some assets look from the PS 1's era, others from the 2000's and some modern.

Yeah lol, seems they're doing some cross over thing.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Barely anyone ran the first Half-Life or Unreal in software mode. Nobody ran SiN in software more, which makes Blade's appearance in the trailer look weird.
Fuck you mane, I couldn't afford the latest Voodoo card back then so I ran Unreal in software mode. SiN looks like shit with blurry texture filtering by the way, so does HL. With that said...
I can't be the only one, who thinks this looks like Duke Nukem Forever trailer on crack, do I?
No it fucking doesn't. DNF had state of the art tech at the time and didn't have this fake ass pixel look to it. The glass physics alone dunks on current year glass destruction simulations. You can give some fagass poles millions of dollars and shooting glass in their game still looks like dogshit, meanwhile Americans were doing insane shit with the Unreal engine between sessions with strippers and blow. They had a fucking body destruction system going in DNF2001, SoF style, and in this slop the enemies limply ragdoll after you kill them.

This is what DNF looked like:

Anyone who has played the leaked 2001 DNF version could tell you it had photo-realistic textures. This game looks like it wants to be more retro than SiN, fuck, maybe even more retro than the later Build Engine games. I'm gonna D1P Aftershock when it comes out but this looks like just another shit tier poser game by people who have no fucking clue what they are doing.

Fargus

Arcane
Imagine being Duke right now. Women and minorities taking your place, while Randy Pitchfag keeps you chained in his bdsm dungeon for reeducation and to make you his pet-cuck. Months after the world withnessed how good Duke Nukem Forever could have been.

:negative:

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Either way, this looks like its going to be mostly like Ion Fury IN REAL 3D, but with lower quality level design.
The one thing I didn't like about Ion Maiden besides that someone at the office had poisoned the coffee machine with enough soy to make the game more buttoned up and sexless than a fucking Star Trek episode was that the levels weren't the prefect size they had been in Blood and Duke Nukem 3D. It was still alright level design but it was like shiiieet, the open-world meme that keeps shitting up games put a big fat skidmark on the game. The 90's structure of having a couple of episodes with the perfection of bite sized levels that didn't outstay their welcome but gave you enough space to explore and weren't just straight up corridors is a fucking lost art. Also fuck that shit about making several levels interconnected, just give me the one good level and let me enjoy that. No back and forth between loading screens. If you have some kind of crack vision about wanting things less disjointed than in Doom just give the player a peek of the next level in the skybox like in Unreal or just the first area as in Blood. Anything beyond that is asscancer of the worst kind.

Despite all of that it's still one of the only non-poser games in the retro shooter wave since it actually feels like playing a real 90's shooter. Maybe it's just the Build Engine carrying most of that weight.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Imagine being Duke right now. Women and minorities taking your place, while Randy Pitchfag keeps you chained in his bdsm dungeon for reeducation and to make you his pet-cuck. Months after the world withnessed how good Duke Nukem Forever could have been.
Blade is B.L.A.C.K. and cool nigga, the real issue is that these fuckwits have zero talent. They're already BTFO by a leaked super fucking early alpha of DNF and you know it's not going to be as interactive as SiN, a much better game than HL by the way. What's fucked up though is that even if it had been as good as Duke gameplay wise and in interactivity, shooting things being perfected, it'd still be anemic as fuck because all the movie genres the Build trinity were homages too are so dead you couldn't exhume them if you wanted to. Horror genre is what now? Found footage of something retarded happening. Holy shit, the creepy doll came to life. Shiiiet nigga, I'm getting spooped to death by racism and my degree in Marxist racial gender studies, ypipo so scary abloblo. You can't fucking make good games out of that. That's why we don't have a new Blood, instead we get walking sims. Since it's impossible to soy up action films they don't fucking exist anymore. When was the last time some ripped dude were shooting Russian thugs up and got the girl on the big screen?

But the limp wristed game devs and sinkhole of suck that is Hollywood ain't the only reason we don't get good things anymore. What if some metalheads still had balls and got the same edge going that the OG Doom had? Even people around these parts would go old boomer churchlady on your ass. Cuz we got that game, it slaps together Dark Messiah by Arkane and everything that made Doom stand out at the time of release. But nooo, that's just too edgy man.

Maybe it's a good thing these so-called boomer shooters don't feature strippers or anything that goes against the sensibilities of puritans, yall couldn't handle it anyway.

toughasnails

Yeah lol, seems they're doing some cross over thing.

Slipgate Ironworks is involved with SiN remaster, this might even be a bit of cross promotion. I wonder if there will be some nods to Kingpin given they are doing the remaster of that one too.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Looks like less of a "3DR soynematic universe" and more like they decided to put SiN and John Blade into Bombshell continuity as a replacement for not having Duke Nukem anymore. Close enough I guess. Looks cool though.

Fargus

Arcane
t705y9e.png

vfro9cC.png

kaox2Bc.png

Dodo1610

Arcane
FAQ
The inevitable Reams Deep 2022 Q&A thread!

Q1: Is Phantom Fury a direct sequel to Ion Fury?:
No, story wise it’s actually closer to Bombshell, however all games take place in the same universe. @voidpnt are currently doing incredible work on Ion Fury Aftershock! ImageQ2: Why is Blade from SiN in the trailer?:
We have a close relationship with our good friends at @NightdiveStudio (owners of the SiN IP), and thought it would be a cool idea to introduce these two characters to each other at some point. This happens in Phantom Fury. ImageImageQ3: Who is involved with Phantom Fury and how long has it been in development?:
We actually planned on showing the game at last years Realms Deep, but decided that we wanted to give it another year in the oven before revealing it.
The team is around 30-40 people, with (cont.)several original @3DRealms devs involved, such as OG Duke Nukem artists Chuck Jones and Dirk Jones. The game director is my old partner from the Duke Reloaded and Rise of the Triad days, Daniel Hedjazi (also known from Tokyo Underground Killer). ImageQ4: What’s the deal with WARPAWS?: WARPAWS has been in development for a few years by a small team, published by @FulqrumPub. It’s a super fun concept about pitting military grade Dogs and Cats up against each other in a WW2 setting. ImageQ5: How is @SlipgateIron involved in so many games?
: Actually, we’re comprised of over 200 people by now, split into 6-7 teams/ (you can almost call them “Studios within Slipgate”). All under the Slipgate Ironworks banner. All working on their own independent games . ImageQ6: What’s up with @ty_brannan and @mikejaret ?: We fully support Mike and are happy to introduce him as the new host of RD. Ty needed a lesson. Let’s see what happens next year Image

Ash

Arcane
Either way, this looks like its going to be mostly like Ion Fury IN REAL 3D, but with lower quality level design.
The one thing I didn't like about Ion Maiden besides that someone at the office had poisoned the coffee machine with enough soy to make the game more buttoned up and sexless than a fucking Star Trek episode was that the levels weren't the prefect size they had been in Blood and Duke Nukem 3D. It was still alright level design but it was like shiiieet, the open-world meme that keeps shitting up games put a big fat skidmark on the game. The 90's structure of having a couple of episodes with the perfection of bite sized levels that didn't outstay their welcome but gave you enough space to explore and weren't just straight up corridors is a fucking lost art. Also fuck that shit about making several levels interconnected, just give me the one good level and let me enjoy that. No back and forth between loading screens. If you have some kind of crack vision about wanting things less disjointed than in Doom just give the player a peek of the next level in the skybox like in Unreal or just the first area as in Blood. Anything beyond that is asscancer of the worst kind.

Despite all of that it's still one of the only non-poser games in the retro shooter wave since it actually feels like playing a real 90's shooter. Maybe it's just the Build Engine carrying most of that weight.

Welcome, prestigious poster! We need more like you around here. Well, I'm not really following your hatred of interconnected levels, exactly. that was a bad thing in System Shock 2, Deus Ex et al? But calling 90s FPS level design (or just 90s level design and game design in general) a lost art earns you a monocle from me.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Damn , the fps faux-revival must've degenerated harder than the crpg one by now. And that is one hell of an achievement.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I can't be the only one, who thinks this looks like Duke Nukem Forever trailer on crack, do I? It's basically ripped off many of the cutscenes from that, including the codebox sequence etc.

It's not a bad thing. Looks cool
I was thinking I hope it does not take 15 years to make like the trailer of the game they are referencing lol.

I do notice a lack of pink or purple hair on the devs. Probably a good sign.

Ash

Arcane
Blade is B.L.A.C.K. and cool nigga, the real issue is that these fuckwits have zero talent. They're already BTFO by a leaked super fucking early alpha of DNF and you know it's not going to be as interactive as SiN, a much better game than HL by the way. What's fucked up though is that even if it had been as good as Duke gameplay wise and in interactivity, shooting things being perfected, it'd still be anemic as fuck because all the movie genres the Build trinity were homages too are so dead you couldn't exhume them if you wanted to. Horror genre is what now? Found footage of something retarded happening. Holy shit, the creepy doll came to life. Shiiiet nigga, I'm getting spooped to death by racism and my degree in Marxist racial gender studies, ypipo so scary abloblo. You can't fucking make good games out of that. That's why we don't have a new Blood, instead we get walking sims. Since it's impossible to soy up action films they don't fucking exist anymore. When was the last time some ripped dude were shooting Russian thugs up and got the girl on the big screen?

But the limp wristed game devs and sinkhole of suck that is Hollywood ain't the only reason we don't get good things anymore. What if some metalheads still had balls and got the same edge going that the OG Doom had? Even people around these parts would go old boomer churchlady on your ass. Cuz we got that game, it slaps together Dark Messiah by Arkane and everything that made Doom stand out at the time of release. But nooo, that's just too edgy man.

Maybe it's a good thing these so-called boomer shooters don't feature strippers or anything that goes against the sensibilities of puritans, yall couldn't handle it anyway.

OK so I rolled out the red carpet for you and handed you your monocle...but I didn't see this. This succubus game is as good as Doom? My skepticism is through the roof right now. Explain yourself?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom