Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Elttharion

Learned
Ok so I just suck then because I had a fuckload of defence on top of the elemental res. I think I have almost 900 defence. His ice breath was smoking my ass.
Are you using health boost in your build? Its probably the best defensive skill in the game

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Ok so I just suck then because I had a fuckload of defence on top of the elemental res. I think I have almost 900 defence. His ice breath was smoking my ass.
Are you using health boost in your build? Its probably the best defensive skill in the game
Rarely ever used it. I've heard the exact opposite from some people. I usually use rocksteady and temporal unless I'm going up against a elemental monster obviously. Then I switch to the proper elemental mantle.

Edit

Wait you're talking about the perk. I was mistaking it for the stupid healing tool you drop. I've been using vitality jewels.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Okay so you did mean the healing thing you throw on the ground. I dunno man, that thing always seemed kind of useless to me because most of the monsters move around a lot. I don't know how you'd fight it and stay within decent range of the health boost. I'm gonna give him another couple tries and if all else fails I'll give it a shot. I'll need to upgrade it though. I don't have the + version.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Yeah Velkhana is, for lack of a better word, a nigger. You have to have instant heal against him because he flips between physical attacks and ice breath constantly. Health potions are too fucking slow. I'm all out of dust of life which was my quick-heal so health boost it is I guess. I hate this cunt.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Are there diminishing returns the higher you raise elemental resistance? I believe I had 37 ice resist against Velkhana which should be more than enough, right? Or should I use more/less? Or do I just suck?
IIRC it doesnt have diminishing returns but most attacks are a mix of elemental + physical damage so if you sacrificed too much physical defense for ice resist thats probably a reason why you are taking a lot of damage. Ideally you want around 20 resistance to the element in question to negate the blight effect. You can raise that by eating veggies too so not all of it needs to come from your jewels/armor. Blight resistance works too to if you dont want to/cant stack elem resist. You can also use nullberies to cure blights.
He's not upgrading his fear as he goes so he's falling behind on defense.
Defense stacking doesn't do much. The jewels for it are a trap and a waste of a good slot. You need the Vitality gems to get the full health bar. Make sure you eat before/at the start of the mission. You should have a set of charms (2 you can upgrade then rebuy those 2 for a total of 4) and be using steroids (demondrug and armourdrug) if you're approaching late game. I think you're having problems with the raging Velkhana and that one can be a tough fight if you're not stacking your buffs as the game is expecting.
Buffing actual defense reduces damage so little it's not worth it.
Yeah Velkhana is, for lack of a better word, a nigger. You have to have instant heal against him because he flips between physical attacks and ice breath constantly. Health potions are too fucking slow. I'm all out of dust of life which was my quick-heal so health boost it is I guess. I hate this cunt.
One of the best fights IMO. It sounds like you've been trying to brute force your way up until this point and now you ran into an enemy you couldn't do that with. Get some suitable gear and take advantage of the terrain. You can usually abuse terrain in Velk fights.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I fought him about 4 times tonight, 3 with the health boost+. I don't want to talk about it. I think I'm just gonna SOS flare his cheating scumbag ass next time.

Hell Swarm

Learned
I fought him about 4 times tonight, 3 with the health boost+. I don't want to talk about it. I think I'm just gonna SOS flare his cheating scumbag ass next time.
Getting someone else to beat it will only come back to bite you in the ass when you run into the harder versions later. It's already one of the major roadblocks in end game and you're not helping yourself cheating now.

Elttharion

Learned
Okay so you did mean the healing thing you throw on the ground. I dunno man, that thing always seemed kind of useless to me because most of the monsters move around a lot. I don't know how you'd fight it and stay within decent range of the health boost. I'm gonna give him another couple tries and if all else fails I'll give it a shot. I'll need to upgrade it though. I don't have the + version.
No, I meant the skill you get from Vitality Jewels. The tool is called Health Booster the skill is called Health Boost. If you dont have enough time to heal try to farm mats to craft max and ancient potions, those are instant use and heal your health completely. You can take only a couple of them but the best way to do it is to also carry mats to craft more during the mission. If you set them in a shortcut in the Radial wheel your char will auto craft them if you are out.

Hell Swarm

Learned
No, I meant the skill you get from Vitality Jewels. The tool is called Health Booster the skill is called Health Boost. If you dont have enough time to heal try to farm mats to craft max and ancient potions, those are instant use and heal your health completely. You can take only a couple of them but the best way to do it is to also carry mats to craft more during the mission. If you set them in a shortcut in the Radial wheel your char will auto craft them if you are out.
It crafts them if you try to use one and you're out. Takes 2 presses instead of 1 to use it.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Max and ancient potions aren't instant though and it has fucked me. There's a lengthy animation, kind of like drinking an estus flask. Dust of life is faster.

Also the issue isn't entirely that he keeps killing me. There was a couple times I had him limping but I simply ran out of time.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
Monster hunter makes you grind to stay in place numbers wise while the monster health pools keep getting bigger.
That doesn't describe my experience with MHW at all. I've killed a lot of monsters with shitty gear and it wasn't terribly difficult. Whenever I do major grinding it's when I wanna feel OP and curb stomp shit. MHW is more about skill and preparation than numbers.

Take that Acidic Glave set I just crafted for example. That will be more than enough to get me to endgame. I probably didn't even need it but the defence on it is sexy and it has plenty of gem slots for me to counter whatever elements/ailments I come across.

Max and ancient potions aren't instant though and it has fucked me. There's a lengthy animation, kind of like drinking an estus flask. Dust of life is faster.

Also the issue isn't entirely that he keeps killing me. There was a couple times I had him limping but I simply ran out of time.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
In my defence he's a retardedly huge difficulty spike. Up until this point there's been no monster remotely as tough except Behemoth. The other elder dragons are a joke compared to this dude.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
IIRC it was one of the few where using the correct elemental damage made a major impact on the fight, but I can't recall why. I don't recall having huge problems with this one, and this is coming from someone who straight up abandoned trying to kill Lunastra (or the other one? Whichever one explodes the entire room. Maybe it was both of the pair, it was ages ago.) The only other tip I have is I recall there being some janky with the hitboxes/frame windows of the ice attacks being unitutive but exploitable.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I didn't have much trouble with Lunastra strangely enough but I went into that fight with absurdly high flame res and pretty much every anti-flame tool and potion you can possibly get.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
So using a flame great sword is beneficial for Velkhana or should I still stick with my elementless?

I don't have an issue with cheesing my way through the rest of the story. Too many games are coming out that I'm looking forward to. Unicorn Overlord on friday, then DD2 in a couple weeks (the big one) and then Stellar Blade a month after that.

Ain't got time to keep fuckin around with MHW. I'm not letting my backlog keep filling up with shit. I still got big games from last year I never got to play through.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
So using a flame great sword is beneficial for Velkhana or should I still stick with my elementless?

I don't have an issue with cheesing my way through the rest of the story. Too many games are coming out that I'm looking forward to. Unicorn Overlord on friday, then DD2 in a couple weeks (the big one) and then Stellar Blade a month after that.

Ain't got time to keep fuckin around with MHW. I'm not letting my backlog keep filling up with shit. I still got big games from last year I never got to play through.
Maybe you would have more time for games if you didn't keep blog posting to yourself in this thread?

Don't use elemental damage on large weapons. Elemental damage is a per hit thing. If you're not repeatedly hitting things you're losing a significant chunk of your damage going elemental. Dual blades is arguably the only weapon that needs elemental damage and everything else can do more without it and need less grinding to get there.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Haven't bothered with greatswords much myself; it does indeed do less elemental damage over time than something faster; particularly if you're focusing on getting in really big charge hits. However, raw dps isn't everything in this game. Elemental attacks often have the effect of quickly breaking off defenses enemies set up, like water cleaning the mud on the barroth. Velkhana does the same thing with ice armour; and acts more aggressively and is harder to hurt while it's up, and gains extra attacks. Another benefit of making monsters reapply these effects to themselves is that enemies can lose their stamina and become fatigued for a while; big attacks tend to cost a lot of their stamina compared to more normal stuff like simple melee moves. Entering ice form probably drains a lot, but I don't have numbers on that. Not applicable here AFAIK, but often elemental damage can help you break monster parts that your weapon otherwise can't do because it's only breakable with say, blunt or fire damage but not cutting.

Ultimately it's your call whether to try use fire to get an advantage here; there's more than one way to skin a cat and the fight is obviously winnable without elements. But the argument that it's not worth considering because the dps isn't the highest is a dumb one.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

Maybe you would have more time for games if you didn't keep blog posting to yourself in this thread?
I'm "blog posting" at work jackass. I'm not asking these questions as I'm playing the game.

Haven't bothered with greatswords much myself; it does indeed do less elemental damage over time than something faster; particularly if you're focusing on getting in really big charge hits. However, raw dps isn't everything in this game. Elemental attacks often have the effect of quickly breaking off defenses enemies set up, like water cleaning the mud on the barroth. Velkhana does the same thing with ice armour; and acts more aggressively and is harder to hurt while it's up, and gains extra attacks. Another benefit of making monsters reapply these effects to themselves is that enemies can lose their stamina and become fatigued for a while; big attacks tend to cost a lot of their stamina compared to more normal stuff like simple melee moves. Entering ice form probably drains a lot, but I don't have numbers on that. Not applicable here AFAIK, but often elemental damage can help you break monster parts that your weapon otherwise can't do because it's only breakable with say, blunt or fire damage but not cutting.

Ultimately it's your call whether to try use fire to get an advantage here; there's more than one way to skin a cat and the fight is obviously winnable without elements. But the argument that it's not worth considering because the dps isn't the highest is a dumb one.
I'm only using elementless because another poster said pure raw dmg >>>>>>>> elemental dmg on great swords. I am curious now to see if a fire GS knocks the ice off Velkhana faster.

Hell Swarm

Learned

Those effects aren't going to trigger for shit on a great sword though. The damage loss is significant when you're only getting big charged hits in and you're looking for those big smashes. The loss of DPS here is very relevant because the GS's strength is getting limited but devastating hits in. It's the worst possible option for a GS build and other effects don't make up the difference.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I'm going after the Rathalos Gleamsword. I think y'all are kind of full of shit when it comes to some of these elemental weapons. Your idea is "you hit less with a GS so elemental sucks". Maybe you suck because you're not able to hit the enemy. I think I'm the only GS master here and it's been a mistake taking advice from people who are less experienced with it. Let me show you how it's done.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The argument that you should avoid elements on greatswords or hammers only comes into play if you're trying to be as efficient as possible, typically to get hunt times down for grinding purposes. If you're just playing normally, you're not really gimping yourself so long as you're not doing anything goofy like using lighting weapons on Tobi or fire on Anjanath.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
This game is dumb in parts. The sword that could arguably be most useful or one of the most useful against Velkhana at this stage of the game is impossible to craft. It's not the first time I've encountered this. There's no reason for it. The sword is a bitch to craft and by the time you can craft it it's useless. Bad game design.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Ding dong the bitch is ded!

I used my pro gayming skillz to fire a SOS flare at the start of the quest. It honestly felt liberating. I've put myself through plenty of pain in difficult games, simply for the reason I could say I did it. Meaningless. Well this time I fucking cheated and it felt gooood. No regrats.

Hell Swarm

Learned
The argument that you should avoid elements on greatswords or hammers only comes into play if you're trying to be as efficient as possible, typically to get hunt times down for grinding purposes. If you're just playing normally, you're not really gimping yourself so long as you're not doing anything goofy like using lighting weapons on Tobi or fire on Anjanath.
Taken from Reddit but it explains why you're wrong.

To explain a bit more in depth: many attacks do have modifiers (motion values) for elemental damage (including GS charged attacks), so it's not totally true that it's flat damage added on but there are a few reasons why you should focus on raw instead:
  • elemental shown in the stat screen is bloated just like raw. The difference comes from their true values: endgame true raw in weapons is somewhere around 300, while endgame true element doesn't usually reach 100 (much less on GS in particular)
  • elemental motion values are generally not as high as raw motion values on the bigger weapons
  • monsters have separate hitzones for element (which is what determines the damage dealt to a particular bodypart) and those don't always overlap with which part takes the highest raw damage
  • even the highest elemental hitzones are just way worse than raw hitzones (and tenderizing makes this worse as it only increases the latter)
  • these things together mean that boosting raw just benefits you much more on GS
If you're deciding which GS to use, always prioritize raw. If there's two options with equal raw but different elements there is no reason not to choose the element the monster is weaker to but that's just a tiny bit of bonus damage on top.
The only exception here is Alatreon in MHW due to his Escaton Judgment mechanic. There's a additional modifier here for weapons depending on how "bad" they are at dealing element that helps in hitting the damage threshold, so GS at has a chance of reasonably hitting it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom