Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EverQuest in detail.

I tried full on unassisted 4 character boxing on the official server once upon a time. Lol it was certainly a hectic experience, but it barely qualified as playing a game anymore. Alt-tab 1 alt-tab 1 alt-tab alt-1 alt-tab 1...

I spent more time waiting for the next eq window to show up than i did playing. Fights did go quick though lol.

HOw I use auction? At moment, I"m farming platinum with about 35 in bank. I wanna buy Haunting Corpse, Intensify Death and Animate Dead ASAP.
Typically you just go to EC and use the /auction channel to say you WTB those items. /auction is the same functionality as /ooc but can be filtered seperately, show up in a different color, or what have you. But it's still just for the zone you're currently in.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
HOw I use auction? At moment, I"m farming platinum with about 35 in bank. I wanna buy Haunting Corpse, Intensify Death and Animate Dead ASAP.
Typically you just go to EC and use the /auction channel to say you WTB those items. /auction is the same functionality as /ooc but can be filtered seperately, show up in a different color, or what have you. But it's still just for the zone you're currently in.

Thanks a lot. But how I even change the channels and use the filters? BTW, I'm not close to Eastern Commonlands now since I tried to get animate dead in the Erudite city.

-----------------------------

Other question. Are wizards good? I mean, I looked into magicians and they seem strong at low levels but weak at mid/high. When necros can charm undeads, charmed monsters are better than any minion... MAG are essentially necros without CC, charm, faint death and a bit better pets and direct damage spells. And when I say a bit better, Shock of Spikes lv 24 mag spell which deals 176 damage. Shock of Poison, lv 24 necro spell which deals 160 damage.

MAG are also restricted into fire with few mag spells. Necros can have poison, mag, fire and cold damage.

But what about Wizard. I have heard that Wizards are quite weak in p99. That the gameplay is nuke one or two mobs and rest forever.

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
But what about Wizard. I have heard that Wizards are quite weak in p99. That the gameplay is nuke one or two mobs and rest forever.
What the fuck. Wizards were not weak in Velious-era EQ. They are the most powerful magical DPS in the game, with the most versatility in damage options, and the highest DPS consistency. They can't solo efficiently but who gives a fuck? That's not what they're for.

If you want to just solo through a Massively Multiplayer Online RPG, by all means stick with Necro/Druid/Mage.

Thanks a lot. But how I even change the channels and use the filters? BTW, I'm not close to Eastern Commonlands now since I tried to get animate dead in the Erudite city.

-----------------------------

Other question. Are wizards good? I mean, I looked into magicians and they seem strong at low levels but weak at mid/high. When necros can charm undeads, charmed monsters are better than any minion... MAG are essentially necros without CC, charm, faint death and a bit better pets and direct damage spells. And when I say a bit better, Shock of Spikes lv 24 mag spell which deals 176 damage. Shock of Poison, lv 24 necro spell which deals 160 damage.

MAG are also restricted into fire with few mag spells. Necros can have poison, mag, fire and cold damage.

I think if you right click on the chat window you can change stuff? But by default you'll see all channels anyway. What I meant is, you use /auction when you want to buy or sell stuff to other players, that way players who are looking for people to buy or sell notice your message.

East Commonlands is where the players gather to buy and sell. You can try elsewhere, when you see other players, but you're not likely to get much response as far as I know.

Wizards are definitely group oriented. They can put out high damage at range, although they do have to ration their mana to an extent. They also get teleports. I believe they have a good variety of damage types, if that even matters. But honestly any magic user in a group is going to be doing a fair amount of resting. Wizards have the most MP efficient direct damage spells, as opposed to damage over time spells, where necros excel. But damage over time is less useful to a fast killing group.

However, wizard gameplay is generally sitting back and letting the front line get aggro, then dropping a few nukes on the mob, then more sitting back and resting. You generally don't want to just dump your whole mana bar on enemies, you save that for when stuff gets hairy. So its not as active as a lot of other classes.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wizards are decent, but soloing is hard. At higher levels they can quad kite but at lower levels it is harsh. In a group they are great. They struggled sometimes with dps in the raid content of that era, lots of resists and they had to use some goofy ass lower resist spells that did lower damage. Wizzies got boosted a lot in Luclin and PoP which p99 wont have. That's where the "weak in p99" comes from. But they are still a good dps on raids and in groups they are probably the highest dps. In fact most of the group content in that whole era, more than 1 wizard in the group just flattens everything. I played a wizard on p99 a long time ago and I teamed up with a group of people that had 2 more wizards. So we had 3 wizards in the group and it was pretty ridiculous. Every mob died close to instantly, even nameds. And it doesn't really slow down until 60+ which is when p99 ends anyway.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah if you right click the chat window you can choose your 'Channel' which is where you will talk. Say is nearby, group is group, ooc is the whole zone, so is auction. On some servers they make the ooc and auction cover all the zones, but on p99 it is zonewide. So people hang out in East Commonlands for all the trading.

You can also type /list and it should show you any other channels.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wizards are surprisingly fun to play in a group too, better than it looks on paper. If you look at the spells it seems like all they do is nuke nuke nuke med. Which is sort of true but there's more to it, you have to weave in anti-aggro spells and you have rains that do huge damage and are efficient, but you can't use them if things are being mezzed or if the tank can't taunt multiples.

But it's mostly nuking, and that frees you up to do other things to help the group. Other classes have to fight a mob from 99% all the way to 0% to make it die, so they are busy. A wiz can be watching the battle from further away, see the bigger picture. You can notice adds (more mobs coming to the group while you are fighting) and help out. If you have an Enchanter or something in the group then they will be focused on dealing with adds. But everyone else is focused on killing their mob, so you as a Wiz get to see the Enchanter handling the adds and if they get in trouble, you are the only one who can help. The group healer will notice it, but all they can do is heal. As a Wiz you could blast the extra mob and aggro it, then root it at the side of the room out the way. And your spells are more like tactical nukes. You can more or less kill a mob with 1 spell, but if you do that on the one everyone is focused on and is half dead, then it was a huge waste. If you do it on a mob that the group only just started fighting, or one that they don't have under control, then you're a hero. You also get to be like the overseer, tactical leader of the group. If the group are doing ok then you focus on adds / medding / whatever. If the mob everyone is fighting seems to be taking a long time, and there are other mobs that need dealing with, then you nuke it.

Also you are in charge of evacuation which is such a big deal. If you did it too early people would be infuriated, it would kind of waste your whole journey. But if you evac too late, someone dies and you evac leaving someone's corpse behind. So a well timed evac is awesome but only a smart player who can see the big picture of that battle, can really make that choice. I remember playing with my guild mate and he was awesome because he played like a lunatic. He just ran off and pulled 10 mobs and came back to the group, and we blasted them all to hell. It was like a machine. Sometimes he got like 12 or 13 and that's ok but we take a beating. If he gets 15 then one of us might die. But I see him running around with 25 on him and he can't type to me because he is freaking out and running like crazy. I see him tab to his healer and start spamming heals and I can just tell shit is about to go bad. But I start casting my evac and when he gets back to the group his healer lands a big heal on him. All the mobs go apeshit at the healer and 1 second before he dies, my evac triggers. He loved me longtime :) Wizards are definitely more fun than it might seem.

Magnum

Novice
I have a level 60 wizard on p99. Never used anti-aggro spells. Root is your most useful crowd control spell once you get it. When you get your AOE snare and your first AOE nuke is when you can start quad (4 monsters at a time) kiting. Staff of Temperate Flux quest is useful always and Jboots/SOW potions. Grouping consists of medding and assisting the main tank, nukes after about 70% monster health but even that will sometimes pull aggro. A useful trick is to stand right behind the main tank when you nuke, if you pull aggro off him he doesn't have to run around like a silly-person to get aggro off you, plus it keeps you from looking like you are stupid.

Medding, nuking, aoe kiting, root nuking and porting around will be your life. Its concentrated.

Life-changing items are the class epic that gives you a 800 point rune damage absorb spell (mana/reagent free) and the Veeshan's Peak wizard robe that has a mana free clickable spell that casts Rend, a 780 direct-damage magic based nuke. https://wiki.project1999.com/Solist's_Robe_of_Invocation

When you get those two items you can be a more active member of the party, rarely needing to sit in comparison to how you had to play the class prior. With the enchanter clarity 2 spell its even easier, being able to cycle some mana based nukes in for added damage. Note: The Veeshan Peak key quest is a PITA https://wiki.project1999.com/Rune_of_Scale_Quest.

bZPsVEK.jpg

Last edited:

Magnum

Novice
No. I am not a min/maxer. The best class is the one you enjoy playing. I personally didn't find the mage as interesting as the Wizard. I liked being able to port around the world at will and drop Ice Comets on orc heads.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I also play for fun, but I have heard that wiz gameplay is nuke, nuke, nuke, rest for half of an hour, nuke, nuke, nuke, rest(...) Till you get certain gear.

As for animate dead, I will not buy it. Instead I will farm platinum to buy haunting corpse(lv 24) and so far, farming spider silk in eastern karana is giving me lots of money. Played a little today(About 2 hours)and made almost 20 platinum.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Finally got haunting corpse. I farmed platinum via spider silk in eastern karana till lv 24 and offered everything thjat I had(214 platinum) in auction.

Jl44F52.png

Also combined the words of Cazic-Thule with the Words of radiance only to see if I understood how researching works, but dn't produced an scroll, nor raised my research level(which still 16). I still din't got exactly how research works. I guess that I will have to give copious amount of platinum to chose who understand how it works...

And is gool that my pet now looks like a blood skeleton. Seems like pets change the appearance more than live EQ...

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Sounds like you did research right. You won't get a skillup every time. Also did you put a point in it at a trainer first? You usually have to spend at least one point at a trainer to start a new skill

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My research level is 16. I somehow can't raise higher in trainer. But there is an easy way to raise my research skill?

Magnum

Novice
https://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Research#Necromancer_Spell_Recipes

https://wiki.project1999.com/Skill_Research#Practice_Runes

At some point, spending money on you trainer to level up your research skill starts to get quite expensive. Components for actual spell combines can also be pricey, as well as fairly rare. There is, however, another way to level up your Spell Research skill... Practice Runes.

For this you will need a Concordance of Research, which you can acquire by turning in a Greater Lightstone in either the Research Aid quest or the Evil Research quest, depending on your alignment.

The idea is that you will use the Concordance of Research to create partial runes (the Azia and Beza combines below) which you will then combine into a Completed Practice Rune in your class-specific research container. The partial runes created cannot fail, but also do not increase your research skill. It is only the final combine for the completed rune that can increase your research skill, but can also fail. It is substantially cheaper at lower levels to simply have your class trainer train you in Research than to perform these combines.

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
My research level is 16. I somehow can't raise higher in trainer. But there is an easy way to raise my research skill?
Training costs money after a certain point. You probably don't have enough money if you can't train

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem is not the cost in money to raise the skill. Is the fact that no trainer raises my skill past lv 16. Anyway, two more questions

1 - Is possible to lose spells if you lose levels?
2 - Is possible for me to create another char and gove items to him?

In live, if you lose level and the newer spell is too high level for you, you just cant memorize the spell. He stills in your spellbok. I dont wanna lose haunting corpse spell. No matter what. If i lose a level, will the spell dleted from my spellvook?

Lastly, sorry for the grammat. Im in gym right now and touchscreen is a torment

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
It will work the same as on live. The spells stay in your book but you can't mem them. If you want to transfer stuff to another character you'll need another person to do the transfer for you. Unless you want to drop stuff on the ground and pray while you switch characters.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
About research, even with 30 PP, they don't allow me to train... And yes, I have everything required, they said that I reached the limit.

Other question. Would be against the rules to drpo a bunch of Gnoll fangs from one char to another to quickly skip the first 12 levels as an magician? I wanna play as one but I don't wanna the torment of 12 starting levels again...

Kalarion

Serial Ratist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
About research, even with 30 PP, they don't allow me to train... And yes, I have everything required, they said that I reached the limit.

Other question. Would be against the rules to drpo a bunch of Gnoll fangs from one char to another to quickly skip the first 12 levels as an magician? I wanna play as one but I don't wanna the torment of 12 starting levels again...

I don't know if that's against the rules, but I'd think seriously before doing something like that, especially with a caster. Smashing through the first 12 levels means you're going to have a very painful time catching all your skills up, with tons of casting failures. You'll also make yourself persona non-grata for groups.

I really wouldn't recommend any kind of power-levelling until you're around 20 or so. IMO it's just not worth the frustration and possible deaths from doing it earlier.

I don't know if that's against the rules, but I'd think seriously before doing something like that, especially with a caster. Smashing through the first 12 levels means you're going to have a very painful time catching all your skills up, with tons of casting failures. You'll also make yourself persona non-grata for groups.

I really wouldn't recommend any kind of power-levelling until you're around 20 or so. IMO it's just not worth the frustration and possible deaths from doing it earlier.
That's silly. Yes, power level the hell out of yourself to skip the early boring ones, instead of grinding 40 hours to hit 12 you grind 3 hours to catch up your skills, maybe. And nobody else will care, because most of them did the same thing.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I farmed gnoll fangs but sadly could't give to my previous char. Screen :

6ZS8c5j.png

The game just says that gnoll fangs can't be dropped.

But I reached lv 8 quickly as an magician.

Got buffed with skin nature by a high level barbarian shaman and could just kill red in no problem.

gQiX1s7.png

Also found a Erudite with "Kebab" pet

FJ2XV0T.png

Does the magician pets elemental change form?

With necro, they go :
Tiny skeleton -> medium skeleton -> Big skeleton -> Blood red tiny skeleton -> red medium -> red large -> spectre

With magicians, will my water elemental change the form?

Also, worth specializing in conjuration in p99? Or shoulkd I go evocation?

Magnum

Novice
Magician pets only get larger. They have a focus: summon quest for each element in the Temple of Ro, some of the drops are in Najena dungeon which is heavy with elementals and dark elf magicians, the Journey Man Boots were a drop there before becoming the quest everyone knows now. Another classic dungeon design, complete with pit falls and false walls.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Najena
https://wiki.project1999.com/Category:Magician_Focus_Items

The magician epic pet
https://wiki.project1999.com/Magician_epic
*note: This is the hardest epic to get on any of the P99 servers due to Earth Staff piece being eternally-farmed in Alter Plane: Hate.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom