Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dragon Ruins hits Prime Time

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Finishing up at the moment. One word of advice, don't always favour using the guild to level up, over the blacksmith to upgrade your equipment. It's best to upgrade your equipment fairly often, even if you have to stop leveling up at the guild for a bit.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Finished up. Ended up at about 2 1/2 hours. I will check out new game + then try the other 4 characters. The dollar an hour metric will be passed which works well enough for me.

My party. Level at Guild / Level at Blacksmith

Knight 14 / 10
Bralwer 14 / 10
Sage 14 / 10
Archer 14 / 10

wolfbane

Novice
It's such a shame that the game doesn't run on 64-bit systems.
Enter eXoWin3x, which includes Mordor, and other lesser known Win3x blobbers.

https://www.retro-exo.com/win3x_M.html

It’s a really cool project and works a treat on windows 7/10/11. All your dreams can come true! Also use a VGA PC CRT for that extra level of authenticity.

I’ll have to post some screenshots of classic windows games on my pc CRT, it’s simply too good.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Love Mordor and surprised it hasn't had more clones. It's very comfy to play and always had a fun gameplay loop.

I'll definitely check this out.

iguana_trader

Novice
Played for a bit, my quick takeaways:
* Game has that addicting quality where you play for a few mins more and end up playing for way more,
* Love the art, the portraits for the Brawler, Archer, Cleric and the General are so good, Brawler in particular will always be on every team I make!
* The game is snappy and controls are very smooth
Believe that the game is also a great base to make a sequel out of. Also do not have a steam deck but it would be interesting to play it on one. First run, I've played with keyboard controls but honestly a gamepad is better.

Also did not encounter anything buggy, at least that I'd be aware of (like rules wise).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Beat it (first run) in 90mins. Haven't yet explored the NG+ stuff.

I agree with others in the sentiment that there's Dark Spire-elements here worth exploring. Itemization, better exploration, some puzzles, etc. would really take it some miles. I enjoy the auto-battler aspect of most games, but there's always design space to breathe more into it and I think it's the same here.

Edit: bagged the 2nd run at 110mins. Fully explored the map to see if anything would happen, but alas. It's what I would call a fun "2nd monitor" game that you dick around in while working on something or watching youtube or whatever.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I agree with others in the sentiment that there's Dark Spire-elements here worth exploring. Itemization, better exploration, some puzzles, etc. would really take it some miles. I enjoy the auto-battler aspect of most games, but there's always design space to breathe more into it and I think it's the same here.
That's the rough plan if the game sells well in the long run. The base design is simple, and building on top of it should be easy.

Repressed Homosexual
How can you say no to a decent old-school game made by a Codexer?

It doesn't matter that it won't ever be close to the greatest game in the world or that it can be beaten in a few hours.

TheDeveloperDude

MagicScreen Games
Developer

It's not for everyone and I know people will mock me for saying this, but when the difficulty is tuned around it, automatic combat can have a challenge and intrigue of its own.
I remember when I first tried the automatic combat of Demise. It seemed a stupid thing. But I got used to it. It was a great game.

wolfbane

Novice
Man this game is pretty addicting. I really like the whole “should I keep going deeper or should I go back and heal”, which I get is really the main appeal of dungeon crawlers I guess but I’ve never been able to “get” them very well (minus SMT, of course). It’s probably the mapping by hand part, which I have no idea where to start with that lmao.

The art is fantastic, and the game is quite fun. Well done. Graverobber is becoming one of my favorite indie devs, tbh.

Zeriel

Arcane
If you like that aspect, and you haven't played it, you really owe it to yourself to play Demise.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Looks like the game sold well enough. Maybe a sequel is in order. I guess we passed the point of making a seperate thread.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2929540/view/4197994429737920892
Post-Release Plans
Hi everyone,

Just here to share that the game sold well and has met the minimum sales target, which means that localization and console ports are in the cards.

Which brings us to the following announcements:

Japanese localization is in development and is handled by Izumi Thorn.
Ukrainian localization is in development.
The PlayStation version will launch later this year.
A sequel is possible in the future.

Thank you for supporting us,
--RS

Funposter

Arcane
Played about 40 minutes so far and really enjoying it. The character art and music are tremendous. Playing General/Priest/Witch/Archer.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Made some forum avatars. Infinitron put them up a couple days back. I am thinking I missed a few.

dragonruinsavatars.png

Funposter

Arcane
Just killed the Dragon, clocking in at 96 minutes of playtime. Pretty sure that I explored every square inch of the maze but I might have missed a few spots. It was definitely an enjoyable little game and I've paid for coffees that were more expensive.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Takes me back a bit to my old VIC 20 and the first 1st person perspective game I ever played (or even saw) that I typed from Compute! magazine, though I think the background was red, not black. It was just a randomly generated maze where you had to find the thingamabob then get out before the walls collapsed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom