Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Diablo with Hellfire vs Diablo 2 with LOD

diablo 1 vs diablo 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jackofshadows

Magister
I remember D2 was much harder around the time it was released.

Classic Diablo is generally more difficult than LoD

jackofshadows You are wrong. Have you even tried Classic? No runes, no runewords, no mana pots in shops, no Elite items, etc.

Chaos Sanctuary in Classic is harder than anything in LoD.
Well, I thought you were talking about D1, which is piss easy. Alright then. But in D2 classic there's no you know LoD content either which is much harder than the base game, isn't it?

tritosine2k

Erudite
The wiki with superunique enemies and unique items is better read than this thread with difficulty spam.

I just read farming unique helmets was a thing in D1, even using one unidentified to prevent downside, hehe.

Some cool difficulty tiering would be area where you are supposed to do such stuff.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Chaos Sanctuary in Classic is harder than anything in LoD.
It's kind of funny how much Blizzard North absolutely hated the Hellfire expansion, then adopted things from Hellfire. For example, the Barbarian first appears in Diablo: Hellfire. The Worldstone was in Hellfire as a means of transfering items between your characters. There's a few others, but those are the two big ones I remember.

Arbiter

Scholar
The Worldstone was in Hellfire as a means of transfering items between your characters
It was called "Cornerstone of the world" and did not look like a giant crystal. I am not sure if it can be considered an inspiration for the worldstone.

D1-cornerstone.jpg

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
Some cool difficulty tiering would be area where you are supposed to do such stuff.

Fighting fantasy CYOA books did this all the time.

Last edited:

SilentMRG

Novice
DevilutionX is the definitive way to play Diablo 1 at this point. Not only is it a solid engine for the game, it's been ported to nearly everything. There's even a 3DS version for people who have custom firmware. There's also an Amiga version. Even more crazy is that no matter what you're playing it on, you can play it with people playing it on some other platform. For those who still have a copy of Diablo laying around, bonus if they have Hellfire, and haven't heard of this, here you go:

https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX
:yeah:
I disagree here.
:prosper:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I keep getting email updates that TH3 is a go go go! Even Oprah is waiting (the meme pic it is he used).

Didn't Hellfire give faster walking in town? I can't recall. Each game had various patches so a complete poll would offer that and with or without expansions. D2 is completely a different difficulty without LOD and later patches.

Naturally, mods weren't included as that'd be a bloody big choice. Eventually, you will get burned out even if it takes a decade. I'd swap from online gaming EUO, Diablo/HF w mods, diablo2/LOD w mods to Doom1-2 w mods for a long damn while. So much time wasted SP playing those. Which means they're too simple, easy, OCD and repetitive. Insanity. Pure insanity.

Limit the time you play such games like that and try something with ..... oh wait... add HOMM1-3 to that. Ah fuck.... its all addictive nonsense.

To be fair, I would swap up to play goldbox, questron series, Ultima 1-5, and Apshai here and there. Man, I could play U3 over and over and over again. Sometimes, I'd swap in Duke3D after watching They Live.

But I still think I played far more D1/HF + mods than D2/LOD +mods.

D3+ was zilch time playing. Dumb assed blizzard.

SilentMRG

Novice
When I install Diablo II, I also install the expansion, so I've never tried just D2. And I always install the 1.14b patch. I think I should try to play another way...
:philosoraptor:

Eisen

Learned
Any other mod for Diablo 1 aside from Belzebub/Tchernobog and The Hell 1/2/3 ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom