Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

⊃∪∩⊂ Awakening - Funcom's survival MMO

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Would the world be a better place without those games?

The world would be a better place without any video games for sure.
Folks would have other ways of passing their time, all of which relate to the real and tangible, the more creative, or actual social interaction; as in with physical contact and everything.
Fuck it, some folks would even read books.

On topic however, since games and social media we do have :)

You and the other guys here miss the point.
You night try new games and you might enjoy them if they have a number of qualities, sure.
But MMOs you're meant to stick around to; when that alone isn't really an option, when worse yet, you know that statistically speaking it won't be an option, do you bother? Sane answer is no.

The average 'Dexer won't stick to an MMO anyway, or will but only log in to infrequently, or will but uninterested in bothering with the community at large. Which i'd agree with :)
I get your prism, but it isn't the one to have for the average player these games cater themselves to.
The player that stays.
That's the central bit, genre-specific, be it or be it not to your personal preference. It's what MMOs are supposedly all about.
So if the game isn't to last..

Why do i bother stating the self-evident in gaming forums, i know.

Yeah I get your point re. MMOs, but I've never felt it to be a realistic goal for an MMO to aim for infinite longevity. To me, there's always only a "peak" period of maybe 3-4 years, when the first few waves of new people for the first few years get to endgame and have fun together there. Even if you've got the fever for the game for a few years, it eventually wears out, and I don't think it's realistic for developers to try to make it stretch out. They just end up fixing things that weren't broken, and adding content that invalidates earlier content.

What they should aim to do is to make those "peak years" as good as possible. I think only a small minority of people really stick around for years and years, and that's only because they've made friends, so it's more of a social thing at that point. In terms of gameplay, etc., stretching out MMOs only makes them worse and worse.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I bet it sucks compared to Dune (1992). FunCom I told you to focus on mobile games, even that will be hard for you.

Lhynn

Arcane
Age of Conan tried to do "realtime" combat
I purchased AoC at launch, it wasn't an attempt it was a success. The combat was good.
Can't quite remember why I quit playing, but I definitely remember enjoying the game overall. Cimmerian Bear Shaman iirc.
Combat on release was god awful. Its gotten smoother and smoother as years have gone by, animations are better, weapons have more weight. The problem with bosses that took 5 minutes to defeat by standing still and smashing their face in has lessened, the feeling of being a sidekick to your thrall is gone.

You should definitely try it with the latest sorcery update, its a whole different game.

Codex Year of the Donut
I purchased AoC at launch, it wasn't an attempt it was a success. The combat was good.
Can't quite remember why I quit playing, but I definitely remember enjoying the game overall. Cimmerian Bear Shaman iirc.
Combat on release was god awful. Its gotten smoother and smoother as years have gone by, animations are better, weapons have more weight. The problem with bosses that took 5 minutes to defeat by standing still and smashing their face in has lessened, the feeling of being a sidekick to your thrall is gone.

You should definitely try it with the latest sorcery update, its a whole different game.
you're referring to conan exiles

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ripping heads with our "bear" hands as a shaman never gets old. There was not enough late game content in late to capture our interest in Age of Conan back then and it was a really rough game, we had quit it eventually in a short time. One of a kind.

Always liked Funcom's games, they are always diamond in the very rough kind of games

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Ripping heads with our "bear" hands as a shaman never gets old. There was not enough late game content in late to capture our interest in Age of Conan back then and it was a really rough game, we had quit it eventually in a short time. One of a kind.

Always liked Funcom's games, they are always diamond in the very rough kind of games

Ha! Bear Shaman was my favourite too, lots of buttons to press, with quite chunky effect.

Lhynn

Arcane

you're referring to conan exiles
Yer right. Age of conan was always awful.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
AoC could have been awesome if they could have spent more time on it. The first 20 levels are basically just single player instances but it's kinda fun. Then at 20 it becomes more like an MMO and the world was mostly empty and crappy. Everyone I knew who tried it was gone before level 30. Any good game would have continued the solo stuff into a 'main quest' that spans 50+ levels. Then filled that world with interesting quests and mobs. But Funcom are fucking shit so did nothing and then repeated the whole process again with Secret World. If they just put half of that Secret World shit in AoC to begin with, it could have been a huge MMO. But no, they insist on releasing 5 weak games instead of 1 or 2 great ones. It's like they are managed by ADHD.

Latelistener

Arcane
Just less movie and more books please. For what it matter for this type of a game. We've already got a 4X strategy for soyjaks.

Louis_Cypher

Arcane

I like that the art style, while mainly 2021 Dune, is neutral to a specific adaptation. It puts another vision of Dune out there, so that perhaps upcoming fans will remember there is more than just Villeneuve's interpretation. It looks like elements of 2000s Dune and 1980s Dune are present. For example; the worms have jaws, the guild heighliner looks more like a spacecraft, the stillsuit looks like a sci-fi bodysuit, and the catchbasin also looks quite high sci-fi.

I had assumed that by MMO, they really meant something like "Conan Exiles". Not sure now.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I could see this working in a Star Wars Galaxies kinda way but that's not what they'll do.

You'll be able to pick classes such as Fremen and Sardaukar and Tleilaxu instead.

Mana will be replaced with Spice.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Spice is more likely to be a universal resource and one of things you can convert it into is "concentrated spice jam" which is your mana-pot (mana also regenerates naturally because you're on Dune so spice is literally blowing in the wind, duh)

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
[ ] Sandtrout Corpses collected 3/10
[ ] Return to Alia of the Knife

xWeedGoku420x: Sard DPS lfg Harkonnen Palace
Emper0rP4ul: Guys wer is stilgars wife???

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Spice is more likely to be a universal resource and one of things you can convert it into is "concentrated spice jam" which is your mana-pot (mana also regenerates naturally because you're on Dune so spice is literally blowing in the wind, duh)
Everyone is huffing up spice and high as balls. Weird shit happening? Everyone must be trippin'

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
[ ] Sandtrout Corpses collected 3/10
[ ] Return to Alia of the Knife

xWeedGoku420x: Sard DPS lfg Harkonnen Palace
Emper0rP4ul: Guys wer is stilgars wife???

funny but probably not tho. Looks more in the style of conan and similar survival games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom