Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Night Watch gone gold in Russia

Atrokkus

Erudite
According to Official Site, Nival Interactive and Noviy Disc Company are eager to announce that "Night Watch" has finally gone gold in Russia and CIS, on August 18, 2005.
The game comes in two versions - DVD and CD.

There has been no indications as to when the english version should be expected.

Human Shield

Augur
How long has it been in development? First time I heard about it was this month.

Looked awesome from the trailer.

Atrokkus

Erudite
How long has it been in development?
It was officially announced on September 30, 2004.
Not too long, actually. Well, the engine is Silent Storm's again... but greately improved, of course.

I'm waiting now for our russian reviews. I still have little idea of what RPG value it might have... we'll see.

Balor

Arcane
Ok, bad news, guys:
(Based on the discussion on forums, from users who bought the game.)
The 'curse of movie licenzes' strikes again!
Fortunately, since it's Nival, the product is still playable and even somewhat enjoyable.
Unfortuantely, it's even more linear then Silent Storm, and RPG elements are, well, elements.
Nice graphics and physics, though - legacy of SS engine.
So, in the end, it's TBS, fun, but nothing special.
PRG-wise, it's even worse then SS, not to mention H&S.
On the other hand, not that we have a slew of even half-decent TBS'es today, so...
Stay tuned.
(Worst thing that you can only play as Light... *sigh*. Well, I really hope for "Day Watch" to fix this issue... if it will ever come out).

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Oh well, it sounds like it could be atleast a mild bit of enjoyment.
I must admit I was looking forward to a more "fantasized" usage of the SS engine.

If one of you russkies manages to get your mits on it, a more thorough view of the game would be much appreciated!

Atrokkus

Erudite
BUT HEY! It features ACTORZ FROM TEH MOOVEE!!!!

By the way, has "Night Watch" the movie ever gotten to western market? I wonder what you think about it,
It's "meh", as far as i'm concerned. But, well, at least it's better than watching those dumbfuck "russian gangsta" movies all the time.

Deacdo

Liturgist
WTF? The game has just gone Gold. How could someone have possibly gotten their hands on a retail version? It shouldn't *exist* for at least a few weeks.

They're probably talking about the demo.

Balor

Arcane
Hmm, mEtaLL1x is 'a bit' mistaken. It's not 'gone gold' - it 'hit the shelves'.
So, it's possible to find people who already played it... and not overjoyed about it.
Sounds like people expected something more then SS... and got something that even worse (since the game is completely linear, and dialogs, mostly, mean really little).
So, in the end, it's much more about just combat then anything else... and no wonder that people who played H&S see it as inferior product.
Well, I'll try to get it and play it... eventially.

Human Shield

Augur
Are the levels themselves open enough, such as Commandos?

mEtaLL1x said:
Hmm, mEtaLL1x is 'a bit' mistaken. It's not 'gone gold' - it 'hit the shelves'.
Erm... huh? What's the difference?

Gone Gold is the first finished CD that is sent to be duplicated.

Atrokkus

Erudite
WHOo, *BIG* difference, yeah!
It's a matter of days before it gets on shelves, at least in the country of origin.
It doesn't change the fact that the game is finished.

Psilon

Erudite
mEtaLL1x said:
WHOo, *BIG* difference, yeah!
It's a matter of days before it gets on shelves, at least in the country of origin.
It doesn't change the fact that the game is finished.
Not always. Look at Arcanum. That took over a month.

operf1

Novice
It's a strange mix of Silent Storm and some JRPG.
Small battlefield, and a lot of stupid shiny spells.
Watch this: the hero casts FIREBALL! (no kidding - big letters go up and off the screen).
As matter of fact, it's not that bad: Shapeshifters can do (and take) a lot of physical damage and serve as 'tanks', Mages are very weak but have a powerhouse of spells, and Enchanter can turn the loot into various amulets.
There are direct-damage and defencive spells, curses and dispells, life-drain or stealing of mana, and you must carefully choose and combine all of them.
My favourite one is Telekinesis: you throw an enemy away, and the more obstacles he meets during the flight, the more damage he gets. That's where the physical engine comes to play. Windows, bus stops, bushes, cars fall to pieces, and if the enemy hits anydody, they all take damage and make a big pile.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The idea of throwing someone through walls, windows, etc. and them taking damaged based on what they hit along the way is pretty damned awesome.

Are there classes in the game similar to Silent Storm?

Deacdo

Liturgist
Well, since I never read anything about this game that says it is meant to be a "hardcore" RPG, a good combat system using a great engine in a neat setting is more than enough for me, at this stage (WTF else is there to play?).

operf1

Novice
As I said earlier, there are:
Mage - very weak in close-combat, but has a lot of powerful spells
Shapeshifter - werewolf (or tiger, or doberman).
In animal form has more AP's and increased physical damage. But he has low Intelligence and thus low Mana, and can't hold for a long in Dusk.
Enchanter - weakens enemies and buffs allies, but his main role is to transform loot into amulets. E. g. he can turn an energy drink into Potion of Strength.

The Dusk is key element to strategy. When the enemy goes to the Dusk, you can't get him from the 'real' world, but he can unleash all his power on you. But every turn he loses mana, and when the mana runs off, he begins losing HP. The same applies to your team.

Human Shield

Augur
What do amulets do? There is a presistant loot system and inventory like in SS?

Are the mission objectives like in SS, that you can approach in different ways?

Seems like it will be like SS without being able to choose the order of missions (not that important IMO). The characters still improve and get better equipment.

Balor

Arcane
Well, it's an RPG... action-RPG not unlike Diablo :).... but shorter and definetely not as long-lived.
So, it will provide you with entertainment for a enening or two, perhaps more, but nothing 'immortal' or 'astounding'.
Well, so far as I understand, it's a nice game, but people expected something ground-breaking at the very least, and got something similar to SS with all it's flaws, only in fantasy setting.
But no mini-tanks, he-he-he.
People also complain about poor voice-overs, but that's irrelevant for audience abroad.
I guess I'll buy it anyway - provided I'll get he spare money for it, heh.
And besides, you can always try the demo, it's free.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Well, it's an RPG... action-RPG not unlike Diablo
It should be perfectly clear that by saying "RPG" i refer to pure RPG, which neither Diablo nor NW are.

People also complain about poor voice-overs, but that's irrelevant for audience abroad.
Weird. They hired the actors from the movie (linkie), even Menshov and the guy who played Zavulon. But, considering that the gameplay is not very intertwined with the movie, the impact of the actor's voiceovers is slim, and more of a "movie-ad".

PHP

Novice
2 mEtaLL1x:
The first REVIEW is online, the game scores huge mark: 59 of 100. :) Perhaps, you could translate it to the other people here?..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom