Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial Oblivion preview!!! Must see to believe!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Despite the intensive coverage, many people are still unaware of the gigantic efforts and amazing features that went into oblivion. I meant, Oblivion. Anyway, being a public servant, I’ve decided to write a preview of this great game. Since I'm not a profeshunal journalist, I can't just make shit up and call it an exclusive preview, so I had to scavenge quotes from other previews and interviews for that extra authenticity that RPG Codex readers expect from this fine site.

Without further ado:

***OBLIVION THE ULTIMATE GAEM OF <s>DOOM</s> BLOOM***

<b>Concept:</b>
It's time to move RPGs forward and really show how entertaining they can be. ... Fantasy, for us, is a knight on horseback running around and killing things.

Our advances come in the form of refining and improving the gameplay elements most basic to RPGs - combat, exploration, dialogue - and adding in new features like Havok physics and our new AI technology.

I think you can look at the changes we made from Daggerfall to Morrowind and expect a similar jump from Morrowind to Oblivion.

<b>Gameplay Goals:</b>
It’s one of those things we’ve always wanted to do in a game – full real-time forests for you to explore. Our tech for creating forests is something we spent a long time on. We’re combining procedural generation of landscape (based on its soil type and years of erosion), trees (based on species and random growth clustering), and grass (base on regional patterns) to create some really amazing areas. Combine this with full canopy shadows from the trees and it really takes you to another place.

As far as gameplay – a forest really is one of the richest environments you could explore. The dynamic compass helps you find things because the first thing we experience with the forest was “I’m lost.” Being lost in the forest was not the kind of heroic experience we envisioned.

It excites me to push the genre forward - to try new things that haven't been tried. Whether it's <u>full forests</u> (what's with the forest fetish?) or worldwide AI or new combat schemes, we're always looking for ways to break the mould and present an RPG in a fresh way, in a way where you truly experience what is happening to your character.

<b>Target Audience:</b>
However, with Morrowind I think we saw that our kind of game appeals to a wider audience, given the game’s success among more casual gamers who are neither ‘hardcore’ nor ‘RPG geeks’

<b>Graphics:</b>
R0xx0r!!!

…it’s different in Oblivion. We have much better looking clothing, and it mixes and matches better, but you don’t have the huge range of options you could in a 2D system like Daggerfall’s

<b>Voiceover:</b>
Patric Stewart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<b>Combat:</b>
This time we've realized how much combat people really do in a game like this...

The majority of players wanted a more complex combat system, one that had a lot more depth and excitement to it than simply clicking and rolling dice.

The basic idea of Oblivion combat is to impart the 'kinetic energy feeling' of guys bashing each other with swords. The game will have a number of special moves available and blocking is actively under player control, not automatic. As a result, timing moves, shielding yourself, and responding to the enemy becomes a key strategy in fighting.

The combat will be every bit as exciting as it is in a first-person shooter. Contrary to the RPG convention, the outcome of combat will not be decided by virtual dice rolls. Your opponent will block and dodge, so taking down an enemy is entirely on the player's shoulders

We really are striving to get the kinetic energy of guys bashing each other with swords down, and do it right, because no one has yet.

We demolished the Morrowind system of combat, and from its ashes arose something deeper, more engaging, and featuring a better blend of player skill vs. character skill. We threw out the wacky to-hit random rolls. Now if your sword hits an enemy, you’ve hit him, plain and simple. That simple change makes a world of difference in the experience. Combat is far less of an abstraction now.

No longer is simply clicking over and over and hoping that a random die falls in your favor a viable strategy. Now your enemy’s sword is something to be avoided, so you move. You dart in and out, getting in your swings while dodging out of his reach. You block with your shield or parry with your sword, then dash in as he recoils. Hit him with a strong enough blow, and watch as he staggers back, leaving himself open to your assault.

There are special moves you can perform and the blocking is active. So the timing of it becomes a key strategy in fighting.

<b>The Uber Awesome Radiant AI</b>
Our new Radiant AI system allows for full 24/7 schedules for every NPC. So we give them general goals, like – “Eat at this city at 2pm”, and they figure out how to do it. They will find food, find a place to sit and eat, and so forth.

With our AI system, we give the NPCs goals and we can conditionalize those for anything, the big one being "time of day". Such as "sleep here at night", "eat here from 12 to 2", those kinds of things. So for the E3 demo, we packed a bunch of goals together so you could see various things the NPCs could do back to back. She eats, she reads, she sleeps. So the only really hand-done parts were to squeeze it together. Can they light their pets on fire? Sure. Do they do it often? No. That was just to show it can happen and to get some laughs.

<b>Skillz:</b>
There are fewer skills (from 36 skills in DF to 27 skills in MW to 21 skills in Oblivion), but they'll be better balanced, there'll be skill perks as you advance, and the major/minor/misc mix is different (though I won't get in to how yet).

We’ve combined a couple here and there from Morrowind, so things like Short Blade and Long Blade are now a single Blade skill.

But let’s face it - when you talk about ranged combat in an RPG, you’re talking about bows.

When we look at characters that like to do ranged combat, they mostly want to use bows and arrows. So instead of doing many types of ranged combat, we decided to stick with bows and arrows -- but -- it's a grand implementation of bows and arrows. You feel the string draw, arrows arc properly, bounce realistically, and stick deep into the right materials. You can see the quiver on your back and type of arrows you have and there are tons of different bows and arrow types. So we trade having several types of ranged combat done in an average way, and get bows done in a grand way.

<b>Magic:</b>
It’s tough to know where to start, there are so many changes. The biggest one is probably the removal of the “magic mode” from Morrowind. No more running around with your hands up in front of you, unable to defend yourself from melee opponents. Now you can cast magic any time you choose, even using a sword and shield.

You can also cast spells at any time. In Morrowind you had to "ready magic", which meant unequipping your weapon and raising your hands into the "casting position". In Oblivion you just press the casting button.

There's a skill-based penalty for casting depending on how much armor you're wearing. So if you want to be a battle mage, you'll have to work on your armor skills -- get them up high enough and there will be no penalty.

This way, there's an actual DIFFERENCE between the pure magic user and the battle mage. Battle mages will simply want to choose an armor skill as one of their major skills.(More like HAVE to choose)

<b>Guilds:</b>
As far as factions, there are four guilds you can join in Oblivion: mages, fighters, thieves, and dark brotherhood (assassin’s guild). You can join each of them and experience their storylines and rise to the head of each guild (in one game), which has its own reward.

Standing in one guild does not affect another for the most part. We like players to be able to experience them all, but obviously certain character classes have an easier go of one or another.

<b>Dialogues</b>
After overhearing this news, we had the attack itself added to our journal as a new <u>dialogue topic</u>, which we were then able to ask the bard about--resulting in a new quest to help at the town added to our journal.

<b>Cool Features:</b>
An on-screen compass will not only tell you which direction you are going, but will also point you in the direction of places of interest. Another new feature to help alleviate these problems is the ability to instantly teleport to any place that you know about instead of being required to use a scroll or spell.

It doesn't automatically load the last game save. It brings up the load saved game screen. But you can always press "DONE" without choosing a file and continue playing, even though you can no longer necessarily finish the main quest.

I'm sure there are other quotes that I missed so feel free to post them here to make it the best and most informative preview ever - the #1 source of all Oblivion information!

Sarvis

Erudite
Interesting.

Given their description of the combat system, I would no longer consider this an RPG.

Sounds a lot like Mount&Blade combat actually...

Human Shield

Augur
Seems like Medieval Deus Ex with spells instead of nanobots. I wonder if Arrows will have an accuracy circle?

Mite be a fun FPS game.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
DeusEx was great, though. From an FPS point of view.

The Dialogue and second Special Feature paragraphs are a bit detached, the latter especially doesn't really mention what it's about.

android

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
There are fewer skills (from 36 skills in DF to 27 skills in MW to 21 skills in Oblivion)
Oh yes, please give us back Centaurian, Daedric, Dragonish, Giantish, Harpy, Impish, Nymph, Orcish and Spriggan so I can talk with the Nymph!

It's sad that Oblivion will be dumbed down, to abandon the crossbow is surely stupid. Other than that you should come to terms with marketing hype machinery... For me I will wait till I play the demo and see it with my own eyes.

Vault Dweller

Developer
android said:
Vault Dweller said:
There are fewer skills (from 36 skills in DF to 27 skills in MW to 21 skills in Oblivion)
Oh yes, please give us back Centaurian, Daedric, Dragonish, Giantish, Harpy, Impish, Nymph, Orcish and Spriggan so I can talk with the Nymph!
Although the language skills added to role-playing and non-combat options, it's the other skills that I miss: Backstab, Crit Strike, Swimming, Climbing, Medical, Etiquette, etc

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Wow, VD, you must really be excited for Oblivion. You had to have put a lot of effort into this preview!

You fu....

Great job! :lol:

xemous

Arcane
Cool Features:
An on-screen compass will not only tell you which direction you are going, but will also point you in the direction of places of interest. Another new feature to help alleviate these problems is the ability to instantly teleport to any place that you know about instead of being required to use a scroll or spell.

*haha* What the fuck were they thinking with that one. Its basically cheating, if you do this you may as well end each fight in a second because you would have won anyway, then whats the point of playing in the first place.

kathode

Novice
Developer
xemous said:
*haha* What the fuck were they thinking with that one. Its basically cheating, if you do this you may as well end each fight in a second because you would have won anyway, then whats the point of playing in the first place.
Can't do it in fights or from interiors, and only to places you've previously visited.

Drakron

Arcane
Its still rubbish, in Daggerfall we had map travel but we also had random encounters.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Meh, you guys'll argue against anything we say just to be argumentative. But you KNOW y'all will be buying the game day one ;)

Also game time passes when you fast travel, so for example if you're poisoned or have fortify spells that are keeping you alive, you'll likely be dead before you reach your destination.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Meh, you guys'll argue against anything we say just to be argumentative. But you KNOW y'all will be buying the game day one ;)

Yeah, I'll have you know I will wait for the weekend. Other than that, I sort of liked Morrowind in a "way to kill time when you have nothing better to play" way. I like what I hear about combat, though I'm not so sure about some of the other things I've been hearing. It's not like they're making a sequel to some Codex beloved RPG franchise... right?

EDIT: Grammer Errers

Vault Dweller

Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
But you KNOW y'all will be buying the game day one ;)
We bought NWN too. What's your point? :wink:

Besides, after all that hype, I *really* want to see them forests in full bloom.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
But you KNOW y'all will be buying the game day one ;)
We bought NWN too. What's your point? :wink:

I believe his point is that he'll still be getting your money. After that he doesn't need to care anymore. :P

Drakron

Arcane
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Considering I live in europe that is a very stupid thing to say, there is no chance that game would be released here in "day 1".

And no, I will not buy it ... expecialy now since you implied that, even if its just to prove you wrong.

Atrokkus

Erudite
So far, the only things that I find tempting are combat, graphics, environment.
Everything else is too cloudy yet.

So, we can't really judge Oblivion's RPG aspects yet.

Well, at least I can already see the improvement in combat system and MAYBE in magic.

There are two aspects that need to be identified: DIALOGS and WORLD LIVELINESS.
If they are good, then Oblivion is a pure RPG (for my taste).
If not - same munchkinarium, but just a lil better.

obediah

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Not me. I suck at the block button so I'll pass. I did like Daggerfall and Morrowind, so if you ever make an RPG again, I'll pick that up. But I imagine the game after Oblivion will be a platform jumper with dialog and potion brewing mini-games.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Sarvis said:
Given their description of the combat system, I would no longer consider this an RPG.

Sounds a lot like Mount&Blade combat actually...
You know, that's exactly what I thought. On one hand I quite enjoy M&B but on the other, it's more an action combat game than an RPG.

... and you know, for a company that doesn't like talking about things until they've got something to talk about, they sure do say a lot of "foot in mouth" shit, don't they (I'm thinking horseback combat here)?

obediah said:
But I imagine the game after Oblivion will be a platform jumper with dialog and potion brewing mini-games.
Fallout 3 is doomed.

Good stuff VD. You should put this up as a "preview" on the site for real. It's been a while since we had content and it's about time we had another huge-arse discussion about Bethesda.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom